Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Lower Decks - Season 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah....a Miranda class....might be a good sign. (Am still hopeful for good Trek from this show after that good season 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Rawr wrote: »
    Ah....a Miranda class....might be a good sign. (Am still hopeful for good Trek from this show after that good season 1)

I did enjoy Picard, though the end was pretty weak, and Disco has been just a major disappointment, but Lower Decks has just been excellent. I expected absolutely nothing from it, TAS was not my show at all and what I based my assumptions on, and I was so happily wrong!

And yeah, I went back to get that glorious Miranda shot, I think that was more exciting that the D shot in Picard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

Ah....a Miranda class....might be a good sign.
    Not for the Miranda class crew.

Hopefully it stays more like the second half of season one.

I wouldn't mind Boimler stating on the Titan for a few episodes but I imagine he'll be back with the rest by the end of episode one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yes!, cannot wait :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd speculate Boimler's arc in the first (couple of?) episodes will be the realisation that climbing the ladder in the Federation puts one in a lot more danger and front-line situations, whereupon he slinks back to the Cerritos and its "safer" environs. He learns to accept his place, talents and friends he has at that level etc. (that's not meant as snark BTW, I like how all the characters arcs have gone. Much more human, flawed and interesting than ... ya know, the rest of Trek ATM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This looks great. Can not wait for it. That comes council on the Titan do looks fecking huge.
    Still it's great to see.
    Looks like the are keeping it mostly the same style as season 1 which is good. It is currently the best new Star Trek show going.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd speculate Boimler's arc in the first (couple of?) episodes will be the realisation that climbing the ladder in the Federation puts one in a lot more danger and front-line situations, whereupon he slinks back to the Cerritos and its "safer" environs. He learns to accept his place, talents and friends he has at that level etc. (that's not meant as snark BTW, I like how all the characters arcs have gone. Much more human, flawed and interesting than ... ya know, the rest of Trek ATM)

I'm sort of imagining Boimler fecking up something on Titan so badly that he gets booted back to Cerritos :D

I'm also imagining that Miranda Class being the plot device of a whole episode. Having the Lower Decks people re-assigned to that Miranda Class, and spending the whole episode terrified that they've been sent to their deaths. You'd probably have that ship *nearly* destroyed several times throughout the episode, with it surviving each time.

....only for it to be destroyed by something stupid at the end of the episode...like accidentally warping into the side of a planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Narration: More Miranda class starships* have been lost on missions than any other Starfleet starship class.

* Runabouts don't count

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd buy a Miranda class in a heartbeat if I had a choice of Fed ships to buy & fly. I just love the design of it, it's perfect.

Ms

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Narration: More Miranda class starships* have been lost on missions than any other Starfleet starship class.

* Runabouts don't count

What about the Oberth Class? That class has had it's fair share of bad luck constantly getting destroyed. I however always liked them. They were like Starfleets flying space boats. I always imagined they could land on water and speed along like a speed boat. Why who knows just could.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

So 8/12 is that December then or August? I am thinking and hoping its August as Amercans do dates backwards.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AMKC wrote: »
    What about the Oberth Class? That class has had it's fair share of bad luck constantly getting destroyed. I however always liked them. They were like Starfleets flying space boats. I always imagined they could land on water and speed along like a speed boat. Why who knows just could.

I just made that stat up as I thought it would be a funny line!

I remember seeing Miranda class ships being used as cannon fodder in the Dominion war and they've been in service for such a long time I figured they must have racked up a long list of losses.
    I think Oberths were used against the Borg not Dominion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭corkie

So 8/12 is that December then or August? I am thinking and hoping its August as Amercans do dates backwards.

After a google got this reply?

"August 12, 2021
    Star Trek: Lower Decks returns for Season 2 on August 12, 2021."

Edit: - It has also been renewed for a third season.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I just made that stat up as I thought it would be a funny line!

I remember seeing Miranda class ships being used as cannon fodder in the Dominion war and they've been in service for such a long time I figured they must have racked up a long list of losses.
    I think Oberths were used against the Borg not Dominion.

Which is equally baffling, since the Oberth only had one phaser array. Just goes to show the blind panic Starfleet were in when a Borg Cube approached Earth.

To echo a previous post, I too love the Miranda Class.
    USS_Reliant.jpg
    I'm glad she lasted all those years. Them surviving all the way from the TOS movie era to be blown to bits by the Dominion a century later just goes to show how awesome they were. The Reliant was a very real threat to Enterprise in the TWOK and had the feel of a streamlined battlecruiser. Very much the Defiant of her day.

Which is equally baffling, since the Oberth only had one phaser array. Just goes to show the blind panic Starfleet were in when a Borg Cube approached Earth.

To echo a previous post, I too love the Miranda Class. I'm glad she lasted all those years. Them surviving all the way from the TOS movie era to be blown to bits by the Dominion a century later just goes to show how awesome they were. The Reliant was a very real threat to Enterprise in the TWOK and had the feel of a streamlined battlecruiser. Very much the Defiant of her day.

The shape of the Miranda just always felt right to me. Obviously, with any SciFi ship design there's a tricky question of "realism" and how far down the rabbit hole one goes; but the more famous Federation designs just sat wrong with me. All those beams holding the nacelles or saucers screamed "obvious target" a canny enemy would immediately target. Miranda cut a small silhouette and looked like a solid, reliable workhorse - the kind of ship the pragmatists in Starfleet would prefer and wouldn't fall apart; not unless you were properly out-gunned.

The DS9 reliant was similar: small but powerful, with a sensible design that didn't steer too far away from a "Federation" feel to things. It's probably heretical to say, but as iconic as the Enterprise ships have been, the moment the Miranda swung into view during Wrath of Khan, I had a new, single love :D

* Runabouts don't count

There probably were more of them built than any other class like Fletcher class destroyers in WWII they just kept pumping them out.

Starfleet have a long tradition of odd weapon placement. The NX Enterprise doesn't have dorsal phasers.
    I'm glad she lasted all those years. Them surviving all the way from the TOS movie era to be blown to bits by the Dominion a century later just goes to show how awesome they were. The Reliant was a very real threat to Enterprise in the TWOK and had the feel of a streamlined battlecruiser. Very much the Defiant of her day.
    Constitution class was referred to as being a heavy cruiser which probably makes Mirandas cruisers too. Given the smaller size you might think light cruiser but teaditional American classifications have more to do with armament (the diameter of the main battery on actual ships) than size so heavy isn't out of the question.

Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd buy a Miranda class in a heartbeat if I had a choice of Fed ships to buy & fly. I just love the design of it, it's perfect.

I would have an Akira class. Not too big or too small yet still fast, manouvrable and powerful.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I would have an Akira class. Not too big or too small yet still fast, manouvrable and powerful.

I dunno, it's a nice ship, but over the years I've grown to fancy a runabout. Handy size for the shops and getting around town...

If it can be modified to work without a crew Akira if not Peregrine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

California class ships like the Cerritos are basically just Miranda class with longer legs.

Advertisement