Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmakers Bitch/Moan/Groan thread - See mod warning Post 1!

• 26-07-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Bookmakers Bitch/Moan/Groan thread

We are getting a lot of threads recently giving out about bookies or looking for advice on a scenario

It has been suggested that it would be better if we cogged the Poker forum and had them all in a central place

So feel free to post them here, any new threads set up will be merged here (report them please if we miss them)

Basic forum rules apply, vent but keep it civil and nothing libellous

Added 5th February 2015 by TrueDub

This thread is for genuine complaints - it is NOT a facility for people to post libellous or defamatory accusations. Specifically, accusations of criminal acts or conspiracies will be deleted on sight, and infractions or bans handed out as appropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Elian Hissing Shooter

I placed a 5er on a double of United(9/5) and Shamrock Rovers(13/8) to win on Sunday, and according to the PP calculator I should have recieved 36.75. But when I collected my winnings I only got 19euro back.:confused:
    It's not the only time, either, but I can't specifically remember the last time it happened.

I had the odds written on the docket as well.

Any opinions on what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Contact PP and see what they say. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Dunno,unless the odds were wrong. Go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

go back and complain, they will give you the money you are owed

amcalester wrote: »
    Contact PP and see what they say. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Wasn't PP, just use their calculator.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

Sounds to me like its totally pp's mistake. Id get in contact with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

OP go back to the shop and ask how they have settled your bet as you thought it should have been more. Rough sums would suggests Rovers were paid out at 4/11,

What time was it placed?
    Were Shamrock rovers in-play at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The Utd/rovers double was around 6-7/1 so there's no way it was 3/1 unless as already saiod you had the bet when Rovers had already scored.
    Then it would have been placed after 12.30pm.
    What time did you place the bet?

Between 11 and 12, definately wasn't after half 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In fairness I find PP staff to be very helpful apart from one wagon where i am not going to mention. But in fairness you should have queried it there and then. Very hard to prove now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Did you by any chance write 'Man utd to win the Community Shield' on your docket, in which they would have paid out at the Win The Shield price, as opposed to the 90 minute price.

Even still I'm guessing Utd would have been around evens so it doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If nothing else you've learned a lesson, ask for the odds before placing the bet and write the odds on the slip.

Warper wrote: »
    In fairness I find PP staff to be very helpful apart from one wagon where i am not going to mention. But in fairness you should have queried it there and then. Very hard to prove now.

It's not hard to prove, they have a printout of how much the bet was settled for. It really should be no problem.

Was it an independent bookie?

Warper wrote: »
    But in fairness you should have queried it there and then. Very hard to prove now.

Paid out dockets from sunday will still be in the shop, no hassle to get them to fish out this bet and double check what was paid out on.

EI111 wrote: »
    It's not hard to prove, they have a printout of how much the bet was settled for. It really should be no problem.

Was it an independent bookie?

Harrington's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Go back as soon as possible,before there are too many on the computer,it would take ages to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Strange one, odds on football stay more generally fixed than they would for the likes of horse racing, where prices will constantly fluctuate and thus, it could come down to a simple error on the cashier's half for not putting the odds you took into the system.

I'm not sure about whether there is a lot you can do now, next time just bring it up with the cashier on the spot if you feel you haven't been given enough. Be nice about it though, mistakes happen and can be fixed swiftly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Well, qué pasó? You get your correct odds in the end? Should be straight forward to check if you went in soon enough.

Gave me a 10er when I went in to ask about it, fair play to them. They were grand about.
    Not the full amount, it'll do, though.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Gave me a 10er when I went in to ask about it, fair play to them. They were grand about.
    Not the full amount, it'll do, though.

They shoulda given ya more... just saying

• Advertisement

EI111 wrote: »
    They shoulda given ya more... just saying

Ah yeah. Didn't want to make too much of a scene in my only local bookies, though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

stan james offer that if spain won the world cup they would refund a single outright bet for up to £250. anyone remember that when you clicked the terms and conditions that it wouldn't load up? well apparently there was an expiry period on that free bet and it was 30 days. now if i could read the terms and conditions then i'd understand but it wouldn't load for me and others. also it didnt say anything about it in their emails about the offer. 34 days later i cant use my free bet. won't be backing on their site again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

"Get Your Money Back if Spain Win The World Cup.
    Spain are the hot favourites to win the 2010 world cup but we're not convinced. So when you place an outright bet on any team before the start of the tournament and if Spain go on to lift the trophy, we'll give you your money back.

Think England can do it? Why would you bet anywhere else?

Promotion Specific Terms & Conditions.
    This promotion is available from 11th May 2010 until noon on 11th June 2010.
    If you place a qualifying bet and Spain goes on to win the World Cup, StanJames.com will refund your stake up to a maximum value of £250 as a freebet.
    A qualifying bet is a single bet (minimum of £5) on any team (other than Spain) to win the FIFA World Cup 2010. The bet must be placed during the promotion period at StanJames.com.
    The refund will be in the form of a balance credited to your account.
    The refund applies to outright win singles, or the win part of an outright each way bet.
    Cashback will only apply to the win part of each way bets.
    Eligible bets will be struck via web, mobile or call centre only.
    Usual promotion Terms and Conditions apply "

Not mentioned there but apparently their freebets do expire 30 days after they are credited. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Mezcita wrote: »
    "Get Your Money Back if Spain Win The World Cup.
    Spain are the hot favourites to win the 2010 world cup but we're not convinced. So when you place an outright bet on any team before the start of the tournament and if Spain go on to lift the trophy, we'll give you your money back.

Think England can do it? Why would you bet anywhere else?

Promotion Specific Terms & Conditions.
    This promotion is available from 11th May 2010 until noon on 11th June 2010.
    If you place a qualifying bet and Spain goes on to win the World Cup, StanJames.com will refund your stake up to a maximum value of £250 as a freebet.
    A qualifying bet is a single bet (minimum of £5) on any team (other than Spain) to win the FIFA World Cup 2010. The bet must be placed during the promotion period at StanJames.com.
    The refund will be in the form of a balance credited to your account.
    The refund applies to outright win singles, or the win part of an outright each way bet.
    Cashback will only apply to the win part of each way bets.
    Eligible bets will be struck via web, mobile or call centre only.
    Usual promotion Terms and Conditions apply "

Not mentioned there but apparently their freebets do expire 30 days after they are credited. Unlucky.

Yeah i'm not saying they're liars or conned me out of money or anything but like i said the terms and conditions wouldn't load up for me and a few other people so i'm not sure how i was meant to get the info i needed. Was only €20 but its still annoying. I would usually stop doing business with a company because of this kind of thing but maybe i should win my 20 back and then some and do a runner?? :P haha nah i wont be backing with them again unless they have a decent offer going. It's my own fault but im just stating it was almost a secret that u only had 30 days because i was waiting for the football to start up again to use the free bet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

SHAFTED BY PADDY POWER BOOKIES

Went into my local PP shop today to place a bet on Steinbeck (6.30 Killarney). Placed my stake of €100 @ advertised price of 6/4. Happy days, Steinbeck wins, go in to collect and get a return of €237.50:mad: which means i only got 11/8 where i was expecting €250 :confused:. Queried this with the cashier and i was told that i was 29 minutes late for the 6/4 price! My docket showed bet placement at 6.16pm and i took the price from one of the screens in the shop which at that time clearly stated "early prices" (at this time the first live show was not in). Cashier tells me that "oh we always have screens that show the prices a horse was earlier in the day" - now i think thats bull***t:confused:. Anyway i'm down €12.50 as it stands but i'm gonna bring this up with the shop manager next day she's on and either i get what i'm owed or they can stick their cashcard and i'll take my business elsewhere.

Reckon i have a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I actually work in a bookies so perhaps I can offer a different perspective on some of these.

Re: The one above. Sounds like crap to me. The screens show the current prices.

The Walsho wrote: »
    I actually work in a bookies so perhaps I can offer a different perspective on some of these.

Re: The one above. Sounds like crap to me. The screens show the current prices.

What sounds like crap to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

What sounds like crap to you?

Sorry that wasn't clear. I meant the excuse the girl gave you sounded like crap.

The Walsho wrote: »
    Sorry that wasn't clear. I meant the excuse the girl gave you sounded like crap.
    Ah right, no bother. As long as i'm going into bookies i certainly don't recall screens showing prices from earlier in the day! Lame excuse or maybe it's something new that PP are doing:rolleyes:......ah well i'll see how i get on with the shop manager....

• Advertisement

Reckon i have a chance?

Dont Think so.....

Prices advertised for ‘early price’ races are available subject to fluctuation up to the time as displayed in our offices (normally 20 minutes before the race ‘off time’ for UK races and 30 minutes for Irish) or up to ‘first show’.

Depends what time was displayed on the screen for the availability of prices.

Lame excuse or maybe it's something new that PP are doing:rolleyes:......ah well i'll see how i get on with the shop manager....

May have been a problem with their screens updating?

Advertisement