Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Put on Weight?

• 23-01-2011 4:18am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not much of an issue for me just more of a preference but for a while now I have been eating alot, doing minimal exercise and yet I do not put on a pound.

Im 6'1 male and currently at 10st 4.
    Idealy I want to get up to 11st 5 before the summer.

My technique of more food/less exercise did not work so Im hoping someone could give me tips on how I should go about this. As healthly as possible too :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Eating more is the only way you will gain weight.

Drink 2-3L of full fat milk a day and eat plenty of nuts.
    Use coconut oil and butter regularly.
    Try and fit in peanut butter and dark chocolate.

If you eat those things regularly, along with what you are already eating, you will put on weight. If that fails, look into adding a high calorie protein drink.

You should look for info on the fitness forum about getting into strength training as you want the extra weight to be muscle, not fat. If your not interested in that, try and do some body squats and push-ups etc. at home. There are some good home workouts on youtube.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

+1 to the above. You need more calorie dense foods.

Using real butter (don't worry, it's healthy!), using coconut oil as a spread or you can add 2 tablspns to your diet morning/night, you can cook with it too. Drinking full fat milk, nuts as snacks and nut butters.

As a matter of interest OP, what's your diet like now. It would be well to add weight through foods that are nutritious for you like tha above. The stickies here are great for info and work out your maintenance calorie needs in them too - from this you can see whether you are actually eating enough cals for your body and then up the figuire. Whats a lot of food to you may not be a lot of food to someone else.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Just as an FYI coconut oil may have the opposite of the intended effect. Farmers in the 1950's tried to use it to fatten up cattle and it made them lose weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

+1 to the above. You need more calorie dense foods.

Using real butter (don't worry, it's healthy!), using coconut oil as a spread or you can add 2 tablspns to your diet morning/night, you can cook with it too. Drinking full fat milk, nuts as snacks and nut butters.

As a matter of interest OP, what's your diet like now. It would be well to add weight through foods that are nutritious for you like tha above. The stickies here are great for info and work out your maintenance calorie needs in them too - from this you can see whether you are actually eating enough cals for your body and then up the figuire. Whats a lot of food to you may not be a lot of food to someone else.

Real butter will cause high cholesterol...no? I'v been advised against eating real butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Real butter will cause high cholesterol...no? I'v been advised against eating real butter.

This is typical of the poor nutritional advice banded about.

It's all part of the ''low-fat'' diet, the biggest diet scam of the century, which has actually contributed towards obesity.

If you are using flora or the likes as a replacement, you should stop. Now that is damaging to your health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

You can use a spread that's low calorie although has a long list of ingredients which is mainly veg oil - veg oil which has an inflammatory effect on the body.

Or, you can use butter, an actual wholefood with no long list of ingredients. Sure, it may be calorie dense, but a little goes a long way and it contains much much more nutrition for you mineral and vitamin wise than any veg oil spread.

And no, it will not give you a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'd advise lifting weights. If this is your natural bodyweight eating more will just make you look fat. You could end up looking just the same with a pot belly

Gain some lean muscle and your natural bodyweight will accommodate for it.

Advertisement