Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco Mobile International call rates from 2c per minute.

• 31-08-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Tesco Mobile have introduced new low international call rates from 2c per minute. These are probably the lowest international call rates available, using an Irish prepay mobile. There's no promo codes, minimum top up requirement or opt-in needed, just top up and call. There's also cheaper texts from 14c, although if you get an O2 SIM card, you can send international web texts for free.

You can get a Tesco mobile SIM card for free on the web site, or get one free with a €10 top up, from any Tesco store.

Some of the destinations included for 2/3c per min:
    • Spain
    • Poland
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • France
    • Germany
    • Belgium
    • Austria
    • Netherlands
    • Italy
    • Australia
    • India
    • Israel
    • Malaysia
    • Canada
    • South Korea
    • China
    • Australia & New Zealand
    • United States (landlines and mobiles 2c/min)

Full details: http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx

Terms and Conditions
    1. Each call can be max 60 minutes, you will be disconnected after 60 minutes, although you can re-dial.
    2. Calls are charged on a per minute basis.
    3. Not applicable when roaming.
    4. Free credit or double credit cannot be used for international calls. Each international call will use your regular top up credit.
    5. Offer available until 31st. December 2010

**Note: avoid calling the UK on Tesco Mobile, it'll cost you 50c per minute! :eek: **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

i am asking can the tesco sims work in a o2 mobile ? eg does it have to unlocked our can i use it sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

As far as I know, Tesco Mobile SIM cards don't work in O2 locked mobiles, I've tried. You'll need a Tesco Mobile phone (from €20 delivered) or another unlocked phone to use the Tesco SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good deal that if you don't have a landline or are not at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i am asking can the tesco sims work in a o2 mobile ? eg does it have to unlocked our can i use it sim free

The o2 handset would need to be unlocked. Tesco sims are a different company, that happen to use o2 cells

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Not including British numbers?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Calls to Irish fixed-lines & mobiles cost 20cent yet a call to the USA is 2cent.
    Should they not have it the other way around, How can it be cheaper to ring abroad than it is to make a local call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

cork45 wrote: »
    Calls to Irish fixed-lines & mobiles cost 20cent yet a call to the USA is 2cent.
    Should they not have it the other way around, How can it be cheaper to ring abroad than it is to make a local call.
    Because local calls are calls you will more than likely have to/want to make, this is just to intice people into getting the sims, and then buying credit they wouldn't have bought without the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Just a note, with Tesco Mobile you are unable to send MMS's to other mobile providers. I called and asked when this would be rectified and their extremely unhelpful customer service said they have no idea! Quickly switched back after my sim card stopped working and when I rang customer service for help I was told they didnt know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

sok2005 wrote: »
    Just a note, with Tesco Mobile you are unable to send MMS's to other mobile providers. I called and asked when this would be rectified and their extremely unhelpful customer service said they have no idea! Quickly switched back after my sim card stopped working and when I rang customer service for help I was told they didnt know what to do!

they are a bit dodgy like that. i have an unlocked o2 desire with a tesco sim. when i rang support to ask how to set up 3g on the phone they said they dont support it and theres nothing they can do. shocking. but im still with them cos there so cheap for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Just noticed they're down to only 1 model of phone for €20 on the web site, so check out in-store if you want to buy a Tesco mobile phone. Last time I was in a Tesco they had at least 3 models for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

calls to uk are 50 cent a min, expensive !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

China 2c , even cheaper than Vodafone and Meteor 3c, super stuff, thanks OP

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

I used Tesco last year for a couple of months, and found the reception dire. Although using O2 network, more frequently than not I had no reception at all. customer support are less than useless, i'm not sure what they consider their job to be, but it doesn't seem to involve supporting customers!:rolleyes:
    Just an FYI if anyone is considering switching completely, i'd keep your existing number and if these rates suit you just get the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mell61 wrote: »
    I used Tesco last year for a couple of months, and found the reception dire. Although using O2 network, more frequently than not I had no reception at all.
    funny that! Never had any reception problems whem using Tesco SIM myself, not heard of anyone else having a problem.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

sounds great .. beats me going to moore street to them dodgly looking shops.. with guys outside telling you of there wares and bargains haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I switched to Tesco last year and while their customer support may be minimal, it does work. Reception? - well it's O2's network so for me it's not as good as Vodaphone, but it depends on where you are.
    My understanding is that as a Tesco customer you are lower down the quality of service pecking order than O2's own customers particularly the business (Pay Monthly) ones - there are times when the network will be "busy" for you when a Pay Monthly customer will get on. Tough - you are paying half, maybe a quarter? of what they are.

I just use the basics - phone and text (on a jailbroken iPhone) - and I can't believe how little money I spend.

Look up MVNO's if you want to know more about the Tesco/Virgin type of operation.

Re cost of calling US being 2c - way back in the early Sixties (I think) there was a study published internally in AT&T Bell Labs that forecast that eventually all long-distance phone calls would be free and that it would be the local connection that would be costly. Well - it took quite a while to happen, mainly 'cos AT&T made so much money from long-distance calls, but now that's more or less where we are - you pay Eircom 25 a month just to have a phone line, or you pay the mobile company a fee or charge which pays for the most expensive part of their business - installing and operating all those cellphone towers. The link from there to across the country or across the world is already installed, paid-for and data is continuously being carried so your use of it really doesn't cost anything - just whatever the connection owners think they can get away with! Usually it's calls to countries with a State monopoly on telecomms that cost the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I am just checking as I have found cheap internation prices but also this?

Other ROI calls & messages Per minute or message charge
    Voicemail 20c †
    WAP 79c/MB or €0.000771c/kB * †
    Customer care (per call) 30c †
    Multimedia Messaging - other Tesco Mobile customers only 20c †
    Text - ROI to an international mobile 20c †
    International calls from ROI to Zone 1, mobile or landline 50c #
    International calls from ROI to Zone 2, mobile or landline 50c #
    International calls from ROI to Zone 3, mobile or landline 50c #

Its saying 50c a minute for international whats that about?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Offer still there until 31/12/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jthrppel

The 50c calls may be to Europe? I know a ~8 min. call to UK on TESCO mobile at peak costs about 4 euro, the same call to Australia and most other non-Eu countries would cost me about 2cents/minute. Of course http://13434.ie or http://www.relianceglobalcom.com/ are cheaper for EU calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

use skype its the cheapest way to talk worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any idea what these rates will be like from January onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Why is it that no decent provider does a good deal for calls to the UK!?¬!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Any idea what these rates will be like from January onwards?

Hi there

I represent Tesco Mobile on Boards

The intent is to maintain or improve on rates post January.

regards
    Paul

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I switched to Tesco last year and while their customer support may be minimal, it does work. Reception? - well it's O2's network so for me it's not as good as Vodaphone, but it depends on where you are.
    My understanding is that as a Tesco customer you are lower down the quality of service pecking order than O2's own customers particularly the business (Pay Monthly) ones - there are times when the network will be "busy" for you when a Pay Monthly customer will get on. Tough - you are paying half, maybe a quarter? of what they are.

I just use the basics - phone and text (on a jailbroken iPhone) - and I can't believe how little money I spend.

Look up MVNO's if you want to know more about the Tesco/Virgin type of operation.

Re cost of calling US being 2c - way back in the early Sixties (I think) there was a study published internally in AT&T Bell Labs that forecast that eventually all long-distance phone calls would be free and that it would be the local connection that would be costly. Well - it took quite a while to happen, mainly 'cos AT&T made so much money from long-distance calls, but now that's more or less where we are - you pay Eircom 25 a month just to have a phone line, or you pay the mobile company a fee or charge which pays for the most expensive part of their business - installing and operating all those cellphone towers. The link from there to across the country or across the world is already installed, paid-for and data is continuously being carried so your use of it really doesn't cost anything - just whatever the connection owners think they can get away with! Usually it's calls to countries with a State monopoly on telecomms that cost the most.

Hi there

Just found this thread and to address a couple of points.

There are no specific quality of service limtiations between O2 and Tesco Mobile customers. We use the same access network but different core/service networks.

Wee did have issues earlier in the year with 3G phones on our network but these are now resolved. That is what some users were reporting as poor coverage as the behaviour was similar to what would seem like poor coverage. We have identical geographical coverage to O2 for calls and data. Our speeds for data are 3G levels and we are intending to go to HSDPA levels next year.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

The intent is to maintain or improve on rates post January.

I was planning to switch back to meteor on January but if the rates don't go up I will stay with tesco :)

sok2005 wrote: »

Sorry you had difficulty with this. You can now send MMS from Tesco Mobile to O2, Vodafone, Meteor, eMobile, Just Mobile and Postfone. We will complete MMS interconnect with 3 in the second week of January.

Advertisement