Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beading and jewellery making

• 08-09-2005 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Helloooo all,

Anybody interested in the above? Was wondering if anyone had good ideas as regards sourcing materials. I've only found 2 bead shops in Dublin and 1 in Galway so far, and while they're good, they're a bit expensive if you're buying more than a few bits.

I've bought online from the UK and the US (although the VAT and customs charges on the latter were a bit offputting!) but it still works out as expensive!

Anyone done any beading/jewellery making evening classes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

yeh i did a bit of jewelley making in college but we just got the beads from that shop off grafton street although i have to admit it is a bit pricey.

have you ever tried making your beads, eg using pasta shapes/ feathers etc.

i find you need really nimble fingers and good hand eye coordination for making the stuff, as the beads go everywhere. i do say it would be tough to do with big fingers (eg to grip the really small beads etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Only two places I know of that sell beads in Dublin are Crown Alley and Yellow Brick Road although I'm sure there's more. I think Crown Alley give discounts if you buy a good bit of stuff. Two of my friends are really into making jewellery so I'll find out for ya.

FAS run a course in stone setting/jewellery making and Snorla posted up a link to a course in Kilkenny if you're interested in doing that. I'm sure there are loads of courses about.

Larianne wrote:
    Only two places I know of that sell beads in Dublin are Crown Alley and Yellow Brick Road although I'm sure there's more. I think Crown Alley give discounts if you buy a good bit of stuff. Two of my friends are really into making jewellery so I'll find out for ya.

FAS run a course in stone setting/jewellery making and Snorla posted up a link to a course in Kilkenny if you're interested in doing that. I'm sure there are loads of courses about.

beads must be so cheap to manufacture, i suppose they have to charge the high prices because they'r targeting such a select market.

if you get embroidery thread (use lots of different colours and you can make really cool friendship braclets aswell).

i think some of the fabric shops like hickeys have a small selection of beads, and inspiring ideas might have a few things. Larianne does Evans sell beads? they would be the cheapest option.

NCAD are running a jewellery making course during the autumn (21 weeks long) http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/education/cead_short.shtml they also are running courses in short courses include: Painting, drawing, ideas generation, print-making, photography, sculpture, ceramics, stained glass, fashion design, textile printing, creative embroidery, design for print, principles for design, bronze casting, sculpture and port-folio preparation.

the yellow brick road are also running an 8 week course in it during autumn http://www.yellowbrickroad.ie/classes/classes.asp?Item=000

you might find some classes here aswell http://www.irishjewellerycourses.com/

Not Sure about Evans selling beads to be honest. Haven't been in there in about two years since college.

Also check out Dublin Woolen Mills (beside Ha'penny Bridge) for beads. A small selection.

Ya should check out second hand shops for old necklaces and bags that have beads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fiathina

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys - brilliant stuff!

Larianne, I've scoured a few charity shops for beads - actually Claire's Accessories isn't bad if you're looking for cheap and cheerful stuff, you can buy things for next to nothing and cannibalise them!

Snorlax, I've tried making beads from Fimo but they never seem to come out the way I want them to! Used to make lovely friendship bracelets in school but haven't done it in ages.

• Advertisement

Fimo is great stuff for using with kids as it's really bright and colourful, eg you get instant results from it.

i love moulding with it as clay tends to crack and fall apart on me. has anyone ever used the terracotta clay? iv heard that's supposed to be good but iv never actually tried it out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I have gotten into making jewellery. The lady in Crown Jewels is very helpful. There is a bead shop in Blackrock Market called BDI - great name. I got beads in a shop in Brighton and bought a basic booklet about making jewellery. I can send you a copy, PM me.

Can anyone recommend any bead design books??? I was looking in the library for some there, but to no avail.

Was looking for an evening course and came across a Jewellery making (bead work) course that takes place in Ringend.

http://www.cdvec.ie/Ringsend.htm

Don't know if it's any good. But just thought I'd mention it for anyone interested who lives in the area.

I'm sure there's many of those type of classes held around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

snorlax wrote:
    Fimo is great stuff for using with kids as it's really bright and colourful, eg you get instant results from it.

i love moulding with it as clay tends to crack and fall apart on me. has anyone ever used the terracotta clay? iv heard that's supposed to be good but iv never actually tried it out myself.

The key with shaping and working clay is moisture - friction creating heat & it gets tired(just like us).

Iif it is beginning to crack and feel dry to the touch, just add a LITTLE water (literally a drop or two if making beads). Less is more. like adding liquids to flour when baking. You can always add more again if needed.

Terracotta beads will need to be fired to make them hard.

Also you need to allow for a small bit if shrinkage, so make the holes large enough for your desired string.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sailorsdaughter

I have gotten into making jewellery. The lady in Crown Jewels is very helpful. There is a bead shop in Blackrock Market called BDI - great name. I got beads in a shop in Brighton and bought a basic booklet about making jewellery. I can send you a copy, PM me.

Can anyone recommend any bead design books??? I was looking in the library for some there, but to no avail.
    If your having trouble finding some good books on beading ideas at library try some magazines from the bookstore. Two really good beading magazines out there is Bead & Buttons and Beadwork. I know while I was in the UK I did find the Bead & Buttons magazine. Can find them easily enough online and get subscription to them.

Found this site while trying to see what sort of bead stores are in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

hey guys, usually buy stuff in yellow brick rd. where is Crown Alley?! In Cork.. there's a craft shop in Paul St. Shopping Centre, have an ok selection there and woman is lovely that works there. V. helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laurs

i would really like to start making jewerally again i used to make small friendship braclets when i was at school but they weren't very good quality and coz now its seems to be all about beads in fashion at the mo and gypsy style necklaces and stuff i wanna know what i can do to get started my mum said the next time we do down to southhampton hoby craft sell loads of beads and stuff and there is a shop near me called venerable beads which i used to buy all my stuff from,

Is it best to start off making the smple stuff then move on to harder stuff i think it will be a good little hobby for me as all i seem to do now adays is read books and whinge that i am bored!!

it really interests me to make my own jewerally so im not wearing what everyone else is wearing and i can sell it and make a profit!! good investment i think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 addie

Cork_girl wrote:
    hey guys, usually buy stuff in yellow brick rd. where is Crown Alley?!

CROWN JEWELS is actually the name of the store, although years ago it used to be located in Crown Alley, Temple Bar so maybe that's the confusion. It's in Castle Market, Dublin 2, which is next to George's St. Market Arcade. It's beside the wonderful fabric store Murphy Sheehy's, as well as the vintage clothes store The Harlequin. someone was asking about books, and you can buy instruction books for beading in Crown Jewels. I got a little one there which was great help when getting started to insure that I was doing things properly and my projects wouldn't fall apart!

Welcome Addie :), you should post under who's who to tell us what crafts/ types of art your interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

addie wrote:
    CROWN JEWELS is actually the name of the store, although years ago it used to be located in Crown Alley, Temple Bar so maybe that's the confusion. It's in Castle Market, Dublin 2, which is next to George's St. Market Arcade. It's beside the wonderful fabric store Murphy Sheehy's, as well as the vintage clothes store The Harlequin. someone was asking about books, and you can buy instruction books for beading in Crown Jewels. I got a little one there which was great help when getting started to insure that I was doing things properly and my projects wouldn't fall apart!
    thanks Addie I will definitely have to look out for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

Guys i was doing some research and stumbled across this page, i see someone mentioned BDI jewellery, and i cant help but put in a plug for them here (my girlfriend and her farther are the owners) they are currently opperating in blackrock market (SAT,SUN and bank holidays) plans are afoot for a full shop (fingers crossed) they have a huge selection of seed beads,crystals,beads,findings and pearls as well as ribbons,wires etc. they also have books with simple to complex projects depending on your level. they also currently run an evening class for beginners twice a week in deansgrange (this may be the last one there, if they get a full shop they will run in the new premesis). Jewellery repairs are also catered for as well. So come on down even if you just want a chat or some friendly advise or help.

p.s
    they also give discounts on larger orders.

p.p.s
    your money generally goes further here than with other shops and can generally order anything they dont have that you need.

couple of pics, not very good quality

http://www.bdijewellery.com/images/010.jpg

http://www.bdijewellery.com/images/003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 freespiritlisa

hello all. i'm lisa from niagara falls canada and i've just opened a new shop called queen in sixmilebridge in county clare (just outside shannon). i've been making jewellery for 10 years and have access to hundreds of suppliers so i can get any beading supplies you need. i can get tools, sterling silver findings, gold filled, base metal, black metal, sterling wire, craft wire (all colours), gold filled wire, chain by the foot in sterling, gold filled and base metal, czech fire polished beads, czech or swarowski crystals, sterling components, gold filled components, sead beads, metal beads, any kind of semi -precious beads and also sapphire, ruby and emerald beads, pearls, wood beads, fimo beads, fimo itself, lampworked beads, liquid silver, you name it i can get it. i am also going to hold jewellery making classes this summer to learn the basics, also wire working, simple stained glass techniques for pendants and the best part is lampworking-so much fun! i know this seems a shameless plug, but what actually pushed me to opening a shop is the absolute lack of access to any type of jewellery components on this side of the country, so i feel your pain! there is also a bead store in galway called the bead store, but i couldn't find anywhere else. if you have any questions about getting supplies or techniques, maybe i can help. email info@queen.ie. thanks! lisa kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

If any of you are interested in jewellery Classes / Lessons I can teach you. My workshop is near Fairview, Dublin northside, and I am open to individual or group classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dubwan

Hi Clodo

I live in Fairview and am interested in classes. I have done the 8 week class in Yellow Brick Road which just teaches the basic beading techniques. I've also signed up for another one night class. Can you send me details of your classes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

Dear dubwan

What kind of jewellery do you want to make? I can teach you the basic jewellery techniques or do you have something in mind that you would like to make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joyce3

Hi all

I am very interested in starting to make my own jewellery in Cork city. Does anyone know of anywhere running courses or of anyone that offers private tuition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KLyng

Clodo- could you send me contact details re lessons. I am very interested in getting some private lessons/ workshops. In particular, I want to learn some beading techniques and how to finish necklaces, and use the tools properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ooh_sister

hi there, i make lots of jewellery &i live in ireland to so i know how hard it is to get beads+stuff but crown jewels in dub gives a pretty good discount if u pick 90€ u get it for 60. ie 30%. ebay is relly good for stuff tho, u get some great deals.for silver theres an online store, il post the address again as i gotta go.
    fiathina wrote:
    Helloooo all,

Anybody interested in the above? Was wondering if anyone had good ideas as regards sourcing materials. I've only found 2 bead shops in Dublin and 1 in Galway so far, and while they're good, they're a bit expensive if you're buying more than a few bits.

I've bought online from the UK and the US (although the VAT and customs charges on the latter were a bit offputting!) but it still works out as expensive!

Anyone done any beading/jewellery making evening classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BDI Jewellery

Hi All

Just to let you know that the new bead shop in Bray is nearly ready for opening. We will be opening on the 26th of July. We would love for you all to see it. It is very big and we stock Beads, buttons, seed beads, findings ribbons, stringing material and lots more.

We have a large selection of sterling silver findings and chain.

Unfortunately the move does mean that our stall in Blackrock Market will be closing down but I think you'll find that the move is worth it!!!:D

Anything that we missed in our buying let us know and we'll try to get it in for you.

hope to see you soon
    John and Velda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wanderer222

Hi All

Just to let you know that the new bead shop in Bray is nearly ready for opening. We will be opening on the 26th of July. We would love for you all to see it. It is very big and we stock Beads, buttons, seed beads, findings ribbons, stringing material and lots more.

We have a large selection of sterling silver findings and chain.

Unfortunately the move does mean that our stall in Blackrock Market will be closing down but I think you'll find that the move is worth it!!!:D

Anything that we missed in our buying let us know and we'll try to get it in for you.

hope to see you soon
    John and Velda

have you got a name or an address or a website? :confused:

Sorry

Unit 10 The Boulevard Centre
    Quinsborough Rd
    Bray

It is on the road with the cinema and the leisureplex on it. the shop is opposite Dunnes stores. Any problems finding it let me know and I'll try and give better details

Velda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 australianskip

Hey all,
    I'm desperately hunting a tutor! I work for a homeless organisation and was looking for someone to do 2 hours, one evening each week until christmas. It would be working with homeless women, giving them direction just to make their own simple designs and maybe some to give as gifts. Are any of you interested??? Or maybe know someone who would be??? Tutor rates involved.

Cheers
    Suzanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nicedub

Hi Suzanne

I volunteer with homeless 1 night a week. I do some beading - and I wouldn't mind helping out with your request. I'm not a teacher - I just like making jeweller and I know the basics if thats any good ? :)

Hi

I run the bead shop in Bray with my father. we are unavailable to teach the course but we would be willing to help with course content and the like to the tutor that you do get. sorrry i can't be of any more help

velda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 karen harper

Just to let you all know there is a newsletter out there called NOTICEBOARD, to all artists and craftspeople in Ireland. You can subscribe by emailing me at karen.noticeboard@gmail.com.
    Also I teach wire-work jewellery, a full day workshop will have you making 1bracelet, 4 necklaces and at least two sets of earrings. Depending on the time left you can then make anything you desire, since you have the skills after just one day. The course works in silver and gemstones, and you will be extremely fimilar with the tools by the end of the day!

Bt the way BDI is a god send! The prices are good and the selection is amazing. There is a new shop open in temple bar, noone has said anything about it yet though.

Would any jewellery makers be interested in joining a jewellery guild since the last one folded!
    On Thursday I was at a seminar with the Federation of Jewellery Manufactureurs of Ireland. I spoke with the president of the federation and expressed my interest in having a section for the not-so-big designers and I can see this happening in the very near future. If there is too big a gap I could arrange a jewellery designers group, where there would be good advantages for the members, including Insurance at great rates, courses on photographing jewellery and many more in the pipeline.
    Let me know what you think!
    Karen Harper
    www.irishcraftupdate.com/blog

Advertisement