Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this floor plan?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

theteal wrote: »
    Wall mounting a TV doesn't specifically mean it has to go up high. I wouldn't be a fan of that either. As mentioned, I'm especially not a fan of TVs over fireplaces as it's going to cause issues on with the lifespan of the TV. Low mounted TVs can look really nice and tidy. Some really good examples over on AVforums

One picked at random

Looks nice, but could equally have been left on the cabinet.

However I agree with the mid wall mounted concept.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GreeBo wrote: »
    Mid point at eye level is for work stations from an ergonomics point of view.
    It doesnt really apply to a TV as you are sitting much further away.
    Also, multiple people are watching it so you will only have 1 person with the perfect setup, everyone else will be at some angle.

Its obvious when its too high or too low, but there is a huge range of wall height for a TV.

For workstations your eyes should be in line with the top edge of the screen, sometimes even slightly above the top edge of the screen, not the middle of it.

knipex wrote: »
    I have not seen wall mourned TV work in a house. They are normally mounted too high to watch comfortably.

I was always told that the mid point of the screen should be at eye level and as screens have gotten bigger that means they need to sit lower.

To sit comfortably on the sofa and watch TV it needs to be mounted with the base no more than 600mm from the floor.. That looks stupid when wall mounted..

Purely personal thing, but I think the high wall mounted flat screen TVs are an eye sore in living rooms. A TV should never be the focal point of a room, but most new houses now seem to have them mounted way up high above a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Purely personal thing, but I think the high wall mounted flat screen TVs are an eye sore in living rooms. A TV should never be the focal point of a room, but most new houses now seem to have them mounted way up high above a stove.

Unless its a TV room of course

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Hi Selfbuild, I have attached the drawings for my own house which we have just recently moved in to. It has a very similar layout to your own so I thought it might help with some ideas. We are delighted with how the layout has worked out and wouldnt have it any other way. Everything functions/flows really well and every room (bar spare bedroom) is used every day

• Advertisement
Advertisement