Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Nice win for St Mullins today 0-9 to Myshall 0-7 in the Hurling Final .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Well done to St. Mullins on the win yesterday. I think Myshall will be kicking themselves having hit so many wides in the second half and only scoring one point. Marty Kavanagh was the difference though. In a tight game, with little scoring and in tough conditions, his stood out in the second half and got the vital scores for St. Mullins. He also won alot of ball from the puck out and drove at the Myshall backline at every opportunity. Crazy he didn't get man of match, although his brother Jack worked very hard and won alot of the ball in critical areas.

I don't fancy St.Mullins to progress in Leinster, but credit to them for bouncing back after last years showing in the final. Myshall however will be woundering how they left that one behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Rathvilly very unlucky today, I thought. Were after taking control of the game in 2nd half, until that crazy decision to send Brendan Murphy off. Very harsh 2nd yellow I think. After that Rathnew took over, but needed that late goal to get the win. Poor game overall, and can't see Rathnew giving Moorefield much to worry about next day out.
    6 years now since a Carlow club won a game in leinster, Eire Og in a replay in Longford. Lack of success has to be a worry for Turlough and the county management trying to put together a decent Co panel.

2 defeats, but very encouraging displays by the senior footballers so far. Great to see such a big squad involved and for once including most of the best players.
    Was at the UCD game Sunday which we could easily have won. Tonight it took a last minute goal by Kildare to beat us. Neither team would be a full 1st 15. Great to see such a big quality squad to choose from for once.

Turlough has got a good panel involved & has them playing to an effective plan. No chance we will repeat last years Div 4 result of being 8th. Top 3 or 4 challenging for promotion for sure.

Encouraging performances alright. I'm not expecting much in the way of results come February, but I'm certain this team won't get rolled over as easily in games as they did last season.

The panel will also be strengthened by Brendan Murphy's return and it will be interesting to see what TOB does with him. Played Centre-back mostly with Rathvilly this year, but I think St. Ledger will remain there. I'd be happy to see him at either Midfield or Centre Forward.

• Advertisement

Wasn't up in Belfast yesterday, but by all accounts the footballers were unlucky not to leave with 2 points. Even so, a draw away to Antrim is a heck of a result and 2 points against London on Sunday would really give Carlow a nice platform going into the remaining games.

Thought the hurlers were better than a nine point defeat against Galway. 3/4 point loss would probably have been fairer on the lads. But thought it was a poor enough performance given Galway were down to 14 for most of the game. What I couldn't understand was why Carlow never resorted to short puck outs, as they had the extra man in the backline and were not winning much in midfield. Galway on the other hand used the short puck out well.

But, it is only the Walsh Cup and the team wasn't near full strength. Hopefully lessons are learned and the team can have a good league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fadofado

Was in Netwatch Cullen Park too, I thought we were very poor to be honest. The first imperative for a midfield pairing should be the ability to win ball in the air, neither of our midfielders yesterday were capable of that. We were cleaned out there. Galway won at their ease with 14 men so we have a long way to go.
    The pleasing aspect was that we are prepared to graft. We have some players to come back like Brennan, English, 2 kavanaghs,Byrne and Murphy and they will improve matters when they return.
    Footballers unlucky I believe not to take 2 points. Big mistake not starting J. Murphy, luckily enough he was introduced and turned the game for Carlow. A result this w/e sets us up for the rest of league. Here's hopin.!

Made hard work of things yesterday, but the most important thing was getting the win. To the lads credit, when London got those four points in a row to make things level, previous Carlow teams would have wilted and lost that game. Seems to be a bit more character and back bone to this team, which is great to see.

The most obvious thing to come from yesterday was that of Paul Broderick goes down Carlow are in serious trouble. Lack of scoring forwards really hurt yesterday, as the forwards seemed to lack confidence and directness. In fairness though, Dara O'Brien played well and Ciaran Moran made a big difference when he came on at HT. I wouldn't continue with Hugh Gahan at full forward, as he doesn't know the position and it takes away one of his main attribute which is running at the opposition.

The backline and midfield I though played well. Shane Redmond was solid at full back, with Benny Kavanagh also doing alot of good work. Out of the two midfielders, I though Foley was better than Gannon.

The win puts Carlow in a good position to seriously challenge now. Next game vs Waterford is huge and will be a good test to see where this team is. I'm hoping that with the likes of Broderick and Murphy to come back, along with Moran, Molloy & Hayden to come back in this team can kick on.

Agree with most of that Tao. We must have kicked 8-9 wides in first half alone. I would not have removed John Murphy as I thought that although things weren't going his way he was making the runs and getting on a lot of ball. I would have removed Alan Kelly or ed finnegan instead. Agree that Moran did well when introduced. Our forwards are a problem no doubt. I'd be a wee bit concerned about the ease with which London walked thru us for easy points esp. the last four. Two of those were a direct result of poor kicks out. Now that is an area that can be addressed hopefully.The good side of yesterday was the bit of spirit when things weren't going well. Overall happy with the win but big problems ahead imo.

A win yesterday against Wicklow, but it certainly wasn't a good performance. Very sloppy performance that had far too many dropped passes, players unable to pick up the ball, wides and wayward passing. Honestly, I can't see Carlow beating Kerry, Westmeath or Derry on the back of that, but it's early and hopefully their will be much improvement. Will need to start next week, as a trip to London will be much tougher than Wicklow.

To Wicklow's credit, they were the better side in the first ten minutes. But Leighton Glynn's moment of madness ended the game. Had that not happened, it would have been alot tighter.

There was some good Carlow play however. Thought Sean Murphy used his speed well, Diarmuid Byrne scored some nice points, JM Nolan put himself about and Craig Doyle was the best player on the field, even though he only played 35 minutes!

The full back line and goalkeeper worry me abit though and I'm not sure the midfield will be good enough either. But time will tell.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    A win yesterday against Wicklow, but it certainly wasn't a good performance. Very sloppy performance that had far too many dropped passes, players unable to pick up the ball, wides and wayward passing. Honestly, I can't see Carlow beating Kerry, Westmeath or Derry on the back of that, but it's early and hopefully their will be much improvement. Will need to start next week, as a trip to London will be much tougher than Wicklow.

To Wicklow's credit, they were the better side in the first ten minutes. But Leighton Glynn's moment of madness ended the game. Had that not happened, it would have been alot tighter.

There was some good Carlow play however. Thought Sean Murphy used his speed well, Diarmuid Byrne scored some nice points, JM Nolan put himself about and Craig Doyle was the best player on the field, even though he only played 35 minutes!

The full back line and goalkeeper worry me abit though and I'm not sure the midfield will be good enough either. But time will tell.

Went up to it Sunday too, but thanks to the missus we got there a few mins late. So we got in at 1-1 to 0-1 for Wicklow. After the sending off, the game was over really. Was far from impressive overall, but got job done easily. Craig Doyle has to start from now on. Defenders missing through injury tho, Eoin Nolan is injured. Shane Kav is commuting from abroad, Jack Kavanagh is injured, David English too is recovering from injury. Michael Ryan left the panel.
    Games like this if we do happen to win 2a are no preparation for a game v 1B last team. Offaly, Laois or Antrim will prob end up last in 1B

Stevecw wrote: »
    Went up to it Sunday too, but thanks to the missus we got there a few mins late. So we got in at 1-1 to 0-1 for Wicklow. After the sending off, the game was over really. Was far from impressive overall, but got job done easily. Craig Doyle has to start from now on. Defenders missing through injury tho, Eoin Nolan is injured. Shane Kav is commuting from abroad, Jack Kavanagh is injured, David English too is recovering from injury. Michael Ryan left the panel.
    Games like this if we do happen to win 2a are no preparation for a game v 1B last team. Offaly, Laois or Antrim will prob end up last in 1B

Agree with you stevecw, we will not cut any ice against 1B teams with that performance but I suppose it's hard to keep motivated when you're under no pressure.That full back line will not do but then there are no. of defenders to come back. Any idea why M. Ryan left panel? big loss! Nolan, Shane and English's return would make big diff tho.
    Mark brennan ditto if he can stay fit. Midfield is also a worry , unable to win any aerial ball which is a big problem. Craig Doyle looked really good, be great if he cam maintain that form. Any hope of Denis Murphy returning or is he out for season.

fadofado wrote: »
    Agree with you stevecw, we will not cut any ice against 1B teams with that performance but I suppose it's hard to keep motivated when you're under no pressure.That full back line will not do but then there are no. of defenders to come back. Any idea why M. Ryan left panel? big loss! Nolan, Shane and English's return would make big diff tho.
    Mark brennan ditto if he can stay fit. Midfield is also a worry , unable to win any aerial ball which is a big problem. Craig Doyle looked really good, be great if he cam maintain that form. Any hope of Denis Murphy returning or is he out for season.

M Ryan left panel to focus on his studies. Not sure about Denis Murphy, a big loss. Craig Doyle back is a huge bonus, a serious goalscoring threat.
    No word still about the team for London tomorrow, must be leaving it till last minute.

Great to see that Brendan Murphy played most of IT Carlow's Sigerson Cup semi today. Was afraid his injury would cause him to miss the league. Massive boost ahead of next Saturdays game in Dungarvan.

Stevecw wrote: »
    M Ryan left panel to focus on his studies. Not sure about Denis Murphy, a big loss. Craig Doyle back is a huge bonus, a serious goalscoring threat.
    No word still about the team for London tomorrow, must be leaving it till last minute.

Great to see that Brendan Murphy played most of IT Carlow's Sigerson Cup semi today. Was afraid his injury would cause him to miss the league. Massive boost ahead of next Saturdays game in Dungarvan.

Thought there was a rule now that starting 15s had to be in by 24 hours prior to throw in?

Or am I mistaken?

Thought there was a rule now that starting 15s had to be in by 24 hours prior to throw in?

Or am I mistaken?

First I heard of that, maybe your right. But hear that due to whether or not a couple of guys pass late fitness tests in morning, that's why team is left till morning.

Picked it up wrong. There will be a motion on it at congress that starting 15 has to be in by Thursday 9am the weekend of a game for championship matches. So wont be in for league either.

Really surprised Carlow have been so dominant against a London team I thought would put it up to them.

Really surprised Carlow have been so dominant against a London team I thought would put it up to them.

Much easier win than expected. 3-7 to 0-1 at ht says it all. Second half seemed like a bit of a non-event.

That's the 2 easiest games over with. From here on in it get's a lot tougher after the break. We are getting players back though from injury so might be perfect timing with the fixtures the way they fell.

Fantastic win today too for minor footballers i see beating Cork by 4 points.

Great win for the minor footballers yesterday. Not often a Carlow side beats Cork, so great achievement. Hopefully they can continue the good start.

Hurlers will have a tough outing next day against Derry, who beat Westmeath today. But with some of the injured lads coming back to fitness I'm hoping Carlow will be strong enough. Certainly won't be as easy as it was last season.

Big, big win tonight for the footballers! Belief will be high after that and they are now serious contenders in division 4.

Fair play to the minors who will play Kildare in the knockouts of the minor league.

• Advertisement

Massive win, that game tonight was either going to make or break the year. 3 home games left now, no reason at all why we shouldn't at least bring it down to the Longford game for promotion. Very very strong bench available there tonight which is something we haven't had for years.
    Wicklow at home now next Sunday will be very interesting, hope we get a good crowd out to support. This management team & group of players are giving it everything and would love to see a big turnout next week.

Super win too by a very good minor side v Wexford. To top a group with Cork, Wexford & Wicklow is seriously impressive.

Delighted with the win last night. We showed great spirit in those last ten minutes in terrible conditions. JOHN Murphy made a big difference when he came on . He should have been in earlier. We need Brendan M at midfield as we struggled there when he was inside. I WOULD LIke to see J. Murphy at FF and Gannoon and Brendan at midfield. ID also start Hayden and hopefully Broderick will be back. Think Ruth is also worth giving a start to . Next Sun is now vital as last night will count for naught if we don't beat Wicklow.

Next Sunday is huge, hope we get a big home crowd out. Most games in DCP v Wicklow they've had more support than us. Think it might be different this time tho.
    Agree Brendan Murphy has to start mf with Gannon. John Murphy at ff & Gahan at 11 would make sense to me. Hayden has to start too in half forward line. We need pace and scorers in there.

Quality squad this time for once so we have decent options off bench. Away to Antrim John Murphy made a huge impact off bench, at home to London it was Ciaran Moran who came on and was unplayable.

Imo best team we can put out is SAME BACKS as sat. Then Brendan Murphy, Gannon , Hayden, gahan, Brian Murphy, dob, John Murphy, Broderick. If Broderick is out id start ciaran moran.

I wouldn't put Hayden in the forwards. Seen him play there last year for Eire Og and he struggled.

Think wing back is where he is at his best, but there is quite abit of competition there. I think come championship time he will be starting there.

I don't see much in the way of changes from the side that beat Waterford. Broderick if fit will come in for O'Brien and that will be bout that.

We need changes to our wing forwards . They are no threat going forward as they slow down play too much.They are effectively playing as extra wing backs so playing Hayden there would suit him according to your analysis. I would also start DOB as he has been very effective against both London and Waterford. John Murphy was the difference along with gannon when introduced the other night so i would have him at full forward and Brendan M. at midfield instead of Dara Foley who has'nt done anything to justify his continued selection. I don't think he got his hands on one ball against Waterford apart from two frees which he kicked badly wide. His second half move to centre forward made no difference.We need to start our best team ...simple as.

I know that when O'Brien managed Eire Og, I only ever saw Derek Hayden playing in the backs. I'd be amazed if he decided to put Hayden in at half forward, regardless of the shape of the team. Eire Og played a sweeper system last season and were quite defensive without the ball, Hayden playing at wing forward still struggled. But, management will make the call on that.

Murphy more than likely will go to midfield, but whether he drops Foley or plays him in the forwards is hard to know. Foley has started all three games so far, so I can see TOB sticking with him.

I'd air on the side of TOB sticking with continuity considering results so far, hence the same team starting apart from Broderick to come in.

Yeah I won't be disappointed as long as we keep winning or at least competing. Btw he has introduced hayden as a half forward in last 2 games. Also think J.Murphy is better starting bet than Foley at mo. Also he introduced Brian Murphy last Sat, hardly a good example of continuity.

I wouldn't expect things to have stayed the same having scraped by London. Wasn't a great performance.

But having gone to Waterford against one of the promotion favourites in poor conditions and won, TOB might think hard of changing things up and keep faith with what worked. Can bevtough to change a winning team.

But we will see on Sunday what happens.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree with you on Waterford being favourites for promotion seeing as we beat them last Summer. i thought they were a poor outfit on sat with very little football ability in the side.
    Agree changes were needed after London game but bringing Brian Murphy who had'nt kicked a ball in anger since October was'nt the one to make. He never got a smell of it in first half and while he did improve in second half it was by no means a good showing. 3 easy frees and a point from play that should have been in the net. Having said that I would give him another chance on Sun. as that match will bring him on and hopefully proximity to Wicklow will have him fired up a bit more than last sat. Just saying that there is no consistency in selection if man who has'nt featured for six months starts instead of no. of players who have been playing solid stuff since January.

Advertisement