Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCAD student thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

it was 2 days ago...@__@ college is so intense....><
    What Bay ya in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

DigiGal wrote: »
    What Bay ya in?

bay A!^^ im in A1!! appernetly its not to bad compared to ther bays where they get homework..@_@ and you??

bay A!^^ im in A1!! appernetly its not to bad compared to ther bays where they get homework..@_@ and you??
    A! A2 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

A! A2 lol

seriously??? your in my class???@__@ whats your name??XDDDDDD

seriously??? your in my class???@__@ whats your name??XDDDDDD
    I'll PM ya

• Advertisement

Anyone in the psy lecture today i missed it :(

I hate NCAD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

why?

unugh wrote: »
    why?
    People there are horrible

so cold and unfriendly

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

People there are horrible

so cold and unfriendly

thats just not true! u just havent met all the lovely people down my end yet :) ill introduce ya!

• Advertisement

Papillon! wrote: »
    thats just not true! u just havent met all the lovely people down my end yet :) ill introduce ya!
    Na I didn't mean that I was just fighting with a really close friend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Na I didn't mean that I was just fighting with a really close friend :(

That's how you know they're your close friend.

Húrin wrote: »
    That's how you know they're your close friend.
    lol nice wisdom there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

Hi im mature student and have passed portfolio stage to get into ncad 2010.yahoo!!!jumping outa skin .. so excited, will be coming from kildare and would like to be able to drive there. the parking garage beside college quoted a student rate of 10.50 a day. too expensive. is there anywhere near college to park?
    also does the day start at 9 30 sharp or is there some freedom. what time def need to start most days?any one get arrow into heuton and which train you normally get.
    thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Congratulations Teeney! :)
    There's a car park at the back of NCAD but it's probably just for staff, I don't know for sure. However, there's a back entrance to the college, through that car park from Oliver Bond St, and there's usually place for cars to park on Oliver Bond St, maybe there would be suitable? I don't know about rates or that kind of thing at all, being a lowly pedestrian student. :p My best advice would be to visit Thomas St some day you're free and take a walk around, see what the story is!
    They say 9:30, but in reality nothing really starts happening til about ten or later. You'll have lectures two mornings a week (Monday and Thursday if it's the same for next year's Core people) and those start at 10:00. It's not too strict, I reckon I haven't been in college at half nine since the first week. :o Around ten is fine for studio days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shower

Still waiting on the postman but <a herf="http://www.modsaunas.com/">Steam shower</a> I had a feeling that stuff would come today at last!
    <a herf="http://www.modsaunas.com/">Steam shower</a>

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

teeney wrote: »
    Hi im mature student and have passed portfolio stage to get into ncad 2010.yahoo!!!jumping outa skin .. so excited, will be coming from kildare and would like to be able to drive there.

Hi!
    I'm in the same boat being a mature student. Very excited too and delighted to know that i won't be the only oldie there!
    congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hey hey!

heY hey...
    just seeking out info on how students doing the BA in art and design education in ncad find the course? Lots of time to develop your own creativity aswell as the practical exp in teaching? Hows the tutors and lectures?etc..

i would appreciate any infO....

cHeers:P..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Delboyie

Hi guys, can somebody help me. Im in Tipperary and have discovered art! Yes only now lol! Anyway, is an art (honours) degree from ncad the same as an art honours degree from lets say crawford? I dont plan on going to college till september 2011 but confused as to where to apply to. Was checking out the brief for the portfolio for 2011 for ncad. It looks like its really hard to get into. I dont mind a bit of hard work tho :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

The standard of teaching and facilities differ between colleges. some places are at level 7 others level 8 awarded. some don't offer certain specialties. It's up to you to find out what's more important to you. generally NCAD and LSAD are highly sought after as they're well established and have a wide range of specialities but if say you're interested in animation, IADT would be more suitable just for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Delboyie

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I was at an open day in crawford this year and i like the atmosphere in one way but was shocked how untidy it was. I had never been in an art college before so i dunno is that the norm. Yeah, the course in limerick appeals to me alright. I just dunno could i afford to go to college in dublin. Id imagine its quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hey hey!

Delboyie wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I was at an open day in crawford this year and i like the atmosphere in one way but was shocked how untidy it was. I had never been in an art college before so i dunno is that the norm. Yeah, the course in limerick appeals to me alright. I just dunno could i afford to go to college in dublin. Id imagine its quite expensive.

i agree Crawford is messy but thats to be expected...art demands mess:P However i have to say limerick is very contained and tidy...the hallways are crap free and its full of light!! so maybe thats your cup of tea;)..pay the college a visit, the receptionist is very kind and helpful!! Crawford was very dark and kinda dreary but cool place all the same. It was my first choice to start with:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cushy101

Delboyie wrote: »
    Hi guys, can somebody help me. Im in Tipperary and have discovered art! Yes only now lol! Anyway, is an art (honours) degree from ncad the same as an art honours degree from lets say crawford? I dont plan on going to college till september 2011 but confused as to where to apply to. Was checking out the brief for the portfolio for 2011 for ncad. It looks like its really hard to get into. I dont mind a bit of hard work tho :).
    Hey, im a fellow tipperarian! i only started art a year ago(first ever drawing) and i have been accepted in to 4 colleges(600points in cork), Im going to ncad product design after being accepted last week, but that just requires a normal porfolio. The problem is NCAD has a different portfolio to the rest of the colleges(except ind. des.) so you have to chose between all of them and NCAD. I'l just say with a lot of hard work is quite easy to get your spot, a few portfolio lessons wouldnt go a stray either!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaaaampire

Hey,

I applied for Ncad this year and fell short of the mark by 17.5 marks out of the thousand, they say I'm about tenth on the waiting list, I was just wondering, does anyone know on average how many people get accepted off waiting list?? Or how likely it is for me to get the place??

Thanks, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Hello,
    Posted this somewhere else as well but can anyone tell me about the installation I saw at the exhibition. The dark tunnel with the head at the end?? If you saw it you know what I mean.
    Who made it, is it a real head? what was it about!!!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

I only saw that one briefly. My favourite was the exhibition by Siobhan Cox. It was excellent. The other one I thought was class was kind of a map and done with copper which was rusted and oxidised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

hi vaaaampire
    i was on waiting list last year as a mature student in category b the cut off to get in was 590 i think and for school leavers category a i think was 512 .my porfolio score was 487.5 so i reckon i was a good ways back on list. id say you should be hopeful to get in with just 12 or so points back. will be watching out for you. good luck.
    This year i scored 695 so im just wondering what was the cut off?

in B class it must have been at least 550 as I know some who got in from group b with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

HEy, i really want to get into NCAD, im thinking about my portfolio and just wondering if anyones got any ideas? like if they know anything specific ncad are looking for in it? thanks alot

• Advertisement

*resists urge to advise peppers and cow skulls troll style*

ncad are like any other art college, they're looking for good fundamental skills in drawing and colour, particularly investigative drawing. Its not about a pretty tonal study all of the time.

sketchbooks are generally always important as part of the portfolio but ncad's brief is geared towards making your portfolio almost feel like a big sketch/ideas book what with their ideas sheets and such. still its still best to keep a sketchbook as you work on your portfolio.

Don't be afraid to think abstractly and include some concept driven work (but always start from something tangible, the last section of the brief is great for this) and think about what they're asking of you in the brief in different ways. I think the further you can push your interpretation the better.

I would advise spending alot of time picking your objects. consider firstly picking wildly different objects and spend some time considering how to connect them.

experiment in media and try everything, photography, video, stop motion, clay, 3d, ect

Advertisement