Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Giveitfong wrote: »
    With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).

Don't wreck the D'Unbelievables vibe. "No tay, no wash up, straight out the door! I'd say we'll be at the match about...five ta".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?

Also, can someone explain the thing about teams aiming to reach peak performance/fitness at certain stages of the year? Is this just another myth? Surely a team can and should be at full fitness throughout the championship? Doesn't make sense why a team would purposely aim to be not at peak fitness during early championship when it could mean they get knocked out and not get the chance to play at that magical peak level.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?

It's Pauric but most people call him Paudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

archieknox wrote: »
    While i personally feel sorry for Paudie as he was having a tremendous year i think this is way over the top. At what stage do we decide where to stop these benefit games? What happens if the same injury occurred during a junior B game what then? Or any club game for that matter? That's why all these players are insured to cover these injuries. The cynic in me says the Pieta House is the deal breaker! Great cause and the work they do is fantastic but i would imagine they're included in the deal so as not to make it look as bad!
    I can see your points
    It's a tough one
    Colm o Neill or Gooch never had such games however tomas waters did for wexford and Jamie wall with more severe injury had also and were fully deserved imo
    Ken mcgrath when retired and fully deserved
    It's a tough call but at same time if I was around I'd go mahonry game support him but you valid points with club lads get same injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Do the County Board pay for his surgery anyway? They'd have this challenge anyway like so if this generates higher publicity and a bigger gate all the better.

I doubt its going to be the deal Kens challenge was last year. And Id imagine what ever funds are sent his way are only going to cover the operation. Wouldn't read too much into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Kkid wrote: »
    Can I ask what people make of a benefit match for Pauric Mahony?

I wasn’t overly surprised when I saw it. There’s a lot of hype around the Waterford team at the moment and Paudies injury and it just goes to show that everyone wants to row in behind a winning team. If it was last year, 2 or 3 years ago would there have been a benefit match? not a hope. Is it OTT? Of course it is but so has been the reaction to Paudies injury. I suggested that here a few weeks back and I was a accused of being ‘more than a bit flippant’. And I stand by it. But more luck to Paudie, hes had a bad break and if people are willing to give up their time to organise this then good luck to him, I wouldn't begrudge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

It was Ballygunner who organised this match i think, maybe their thinking of sending him to one of those hyperbaric oxygen therapy things like professional athletes to speed up the healing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

It has been organised by the gunners.. So it isn't a Waterford Initiative..I guess you can see it as looking after one of its own.. I doubt the County board would have any input in it as it will no doubt be a disaster if they put their mitts on it..

Some people will always begrudge events like this purely out of Ignorance and jealousy cause my little Johnny didn't get the same treatment but maybe if their clubs respected their players with more initiatives like this then the club scene would be in a better place.

The guy will spend the rest of the year recovering from this and possibly a good sum of next year.. He Cant work for a good period of time and has to go back and sit final exams in the end of the summer so fair play to the club for trying to look after him..

If you don't like don't support it but don't moan on here about where this will lead.. I doubt it will lead anywhere but at least the club is forward thinking in trying to help a young player out..

On the 'leg break' Its the same injury as James Woodlock.. Have a look how long it took him to get back? Have a look at what type of injury it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I checked an article on the Woodlock injury and it stated it was a double leg break, with the leg 'smashed out of position'. It required surgery the next day with two nails. Pauric injury is reported as a 'clean break' which the surgery took place after two days requiring one nail. So hopefully from that it's not as bad as Woodlocks'. The other obvious reference is his brother Philip who was back in about 10 weeks. His injury did not require surgery and the leg was immediately set in plaster, aiding recovery.

I don't know how long Pauric will be out but a return for the end of the club championship is probably ambitious. If buying a ticket for this match helps in any way toward his rehab then I'll get one today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm reliably informed (the question being whether you think I am reliable) that he will make a full recovery. He won't play for at least five months, but when he does come back it will physically be as if it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Brad1234 wrote: »
    It has been organised by the gunners.. So it isn't a Waterford Initiative..I guess you can see it as looking after one of its own.. I doubt the County board would have any input in it as it will no doubt be a disaster if they put their mitts on it..

Some people will always begrudge events like this purely out of Ignorance and jealousy cause my little Johnny didn't get the same treatment but maybe if their clubs respected their players with more initiatives like this then the club scene would be in a better place.

The guy will spend the rest of the year recovering from this and possibly a good sum of next year.. He Cant work for a good period of time and has to go back and sit final exams in the end of the summer so fair play to the club for trying to look after him..

If you don't like don't support it but don't moan on here about where this will lead.. I doubt it will lead anywhere but at least the club is forward thinking in trying to help a young player out..

On the 'leg break' Its the same injury as James Woodlock.. Have a look how long it took him to get back? Have a look at what type of injury it is...

Bit of a straw man argument there now in fairness. Somebody asked the question and he was given an honest answer by a handful of posters. This is a discussion forum after all. No one was moaning about it or no one said they begrudge him anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Good result for Shamrocks in Intermediate hurling tonight. Western championship is by far and away the most competitive competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Good result for Shamrocks in Intermediate hurling tonight. Western championship is by far and away the most competitive competition.
    Who were they playing? Who played well?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who were they playing? Who played well?

They beat Ardmore 16pts to 13 I think. Wasn't at it myself only saw result on twitter. Think Colm Roche was injured though so even better result for Shamrocks if true. Peter Queally unbeaten in championship in both divisions so far

They beat Ardmore 16pts to 13 I think. Wasn't at it myself only saw result on twitter. Think Colm Roche was injured though so even better result for Shamrocks if true. Peter Queally unbeaten in championship in both divisions so far

Passage lost to Ballygunner in their last group game when they won the championship. Doing a good job there though, was told during the week by somone from Ballinameela that he reckoned Shamrocks would win the West.

Passage lost to Ballygunner in their last group game when they won the championship. Doing a good job there though, was told during the week by somone from Ballinameela that he reckoned Shamrocks would win the West.
    Be close, I don't think there's much of a difference between Shamrocks, Clashmore and Ballysaggart....Ring are always gonna be tough to beat also. Tourin with the 3 Fives's back playing together...it's very difficult to pick a winner

I meant unbeaten this year. The west is wide open and Shamrocks could very well be in the mix towards end of year. Have good set up this year with Liam Dalton managing. If they can keep the Roches fit along with steady campaigners like the O Donovans they could have a good year.

Modeligo also, but are they after losing the 2 Walsh's? Thomas and Pa....their 2 midfielders from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Modeligo also, but are they after losing the 2 Walsh's? Thomas and Pa....their 2 midfielders from last year

Thomas Walsh is still playing, it is a fiercely competetive championship and Ring,Brickeys and Clashmore probably have a bit more depth than the likes of Ballysaggart, Shamrocks and Modeligo who would only have the bare 15 ( not even 15) but any of the 10 teams could go on a run and win it, or as easily be relegated. Shane Bennett, Tadhg Bourke and Shane Roche are the standout players over the last 2 seasons in the games I've watched (that includes Brick, Steven Bennett, Brian o Halloran, Tom Devine). Shane Bennett should start against Cork if available

The two lads who did the preview for the league final with Allianz, Paudie and Lorcan McLoughlin are both out for the entire Championship campaign. Coincidence? I think not...

Allianz we're onto you!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Limerick 10/11 v Clare 11/10 . Paddy Power betting.

Any one of Kilkenny, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Dublin or Waterford can win the All Ireland this year in my opinion. Plenty of other people will argue Cork should be on that list and perhaps in such an open year Galway and Wexford should not be overlooked but I have it between the six I mentioned and two of them meet tomorrow.

This could be one hell of a game between two of the forgotten teams. Limerick were well in control of their semi final with Kilkenny last year until the thunderstorm seemed to unsettle them and of course Eoin Larkin's goal. I thought Limerick were very unlucky. They have had a very low key preparation for this fixture and are fancied by many to win. Apparently they have been tailoring their training and tactics to cope with the Clare gameplan which in many ways is similar to Waterford's.

Clare looked as if they could dominate the Championship for years after their win against Cork two years ago. Expertly handled under 21 teams created a conveyor belt of talent for senior manager Davy Fitzgerald but he has not built on that success. He has become embroiled in one controversy after another which has sucked some of the confidence out of his payers leading to relegation in the league campaign. Davy could be looking at the end game if they exit the Championship early this time round.

The one thing Fitzgerald has got right in the last few weeks is his total absence from the media and press pages. No talk of player unrest or bullying, just quiet as it should be. That could make Clare a very dangerous opponent today.

It will be a fascinating game and one which is as close as the betting suggests. After much deliberation I will plump for the team with the least baggage, Limerick.

crottysfac wrote: »
    Limerick 10/11 v Clare 11/10 . Paddy Power betting.

Any one of Kilkenny, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Dublin or Waterford can win the All Ireland this year in my opinion. Plenty of other people will argue Cork should be on that list and perhaps in such an open year Galway and Wexford should not be overlooked but I have it between the six I mentioned and two of them meet tomorrow.

This could be one hell of a game between two of the forgotten teams. Limerick were well in control of their semi final with Kilkenny last year until the thunderstorm seemed to unsettle them and of course Eoin Larkin's goal. I thought Limerick were very unlucky. They have had a very low key preparation for this fixture and are fancied by many to win. Apparently they have been tailoring their training and tactics to cope with the Clare gameplan which in many ways is similar to Waterford's.

Clare looked as if they could dominate the Championship for years after their win against Cork two years ago. Expertly handled under 21 teams created a conveyor belt of talent for senior manager Davy Fitzgerald but he has not built on that success. He has become embroiled in one controversy after another which has sucked some of the confidence out of his payers leading to relegation in the league campaign. Davy could be looking at the end game if they exit the Championship early this time round.

The one thing Fitzgerald has got right in the last few weeks is his total absence from the media and press pages. No talk of player unrest or bullying, just quiet as it should be. That could make Clare a very dangerous opponent today.

It will be a fascinating game and one which is as close as the betting suggests. After much deliberation I will plump for the team with the least baggage, Limerick.

Dublin will in time but are very young in transition with a game plan based on possession orientated style but have all Ireland proven coach and the outstanding ed coughlan from mayo football but a cork man

Waterford are not imo even close to all Ireland contenders as daly even didn't even have them beat cork in the paper today
    And he blew open this myth waterford style is new
    It's not and I said this before all it is is copycat other previous styles

As for baggage your imo completely wrong in limerick have less baggage then clare they haven't won since seventy three and never performance in croke park in minor or club or senior any description last few years so I can't fathom any logic how clare three under twenty one all Irelands and minor lost only point great kk minor team and won seniors all Irelands more baggage limerick
    That's with respect a complete load of nonsense limerick have less baggage than clare

Liam sheedy Said it today clare players backing Davy was no way players pressures but their own choice and with o connell coming back and apologies to panel and galvin and Colin Ryan and o donnell all saying Davy is fine imo they all belive in him

Limerick I feel have with stronger team and team reaching peak years huge pressure tomorrow and unlike clsre who are missing a load can't afford to loose
    It's imo win or bust for limerick and indeed Ryan
    Clare with fit panel could bounce back
    I slightly expect limerick to win as the team as I said is excellent team named but I still await be convinced they can play sweeper game effective but due clare injury worries I give them a hessiant vote to limerick but not for the reasons you say

Limerick have their own controversy with this week claims of politics within by the mother of a panel player and unlike clsre it happened so soon it represent challenge to solve so soon
    I can't believe this nonsense that everybody copies waterford style
    Limerick are copying clare style
    Clare had this style before waterford two years ago but a way more fluid attacking style with more guile cohesion and elegance that waterford attacking wise have yet to prove and when they score like clsre high returns two weeks in a row v KK and like two years ago they they can claim to be like them

Galway had exactly the same style as Waterford in 2012 and waterford were defensive under Davy
    Waterford have not invented or evolved hurling despite this myth some have imo

This talk the thunderstorm affected limerick as if to say it helped kk imo is such nonsense in limerick normally thrive with their physical game in these conditions while kk who played at a breathtaking pace in the all Ireland finals up a considerable notch from the limerick game would if it was dry have won by a few points
    Limerick were at full peak but kk no where near the all Ireland final performance still won
    Too much is made of the kk game imo from a limerick view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I am glad I called the game right today and the best team won on the day. There are several points to make for meaningful discussion which I might go into later on but I must say something about Davy Fitzgerald.

I am genuinely worried and concerned for Davy. That interview made very uncomfortable watching and in fact was almost distressing. He looks to be under terrible strain and in fairness his answers or attempted brush offs of Claire McNamara were bordering on the ridiculous. Duignan correctly called it straight after the game when Davy went to berate the referee. This is an all too familiar pattern. I said last night here about the 'baggage' and it manifested itself again today with another red card and wholesale indiscipline from the Care outfit. It is incredible to think of the talent that is in Clare even with all the players that are now marking themselves absent from Davy's set up. They should have driven on to win after levelling late on in the game but the manager immediately withdrew another forward and Limerick punished that mistake with telling effect.

Davy's comments about being in the job for another ''few years'' might not rest well with the Clare public or indeed his panel after yet another Championship defeat especially with the abundance of talent that has been prepared for him by successive winning under 21 management teams. The loss of Kinnerk and his influence is glaring.

Davy will need support now from his closest friends because the backlash in his county will be severe. His health should come first and while there will be a few predictable ridiculous replies to this post like the one to my prediction last night I will just take no notice.

Limerick have now decided to join the 'system' but didn't play it that well. They will improve and be a huge threat to Tipperary. I will certainly be going to that match.

My long term fancy for Munster, our own Waterford at 10/1, will no doubt need to watch a ferocious backlash from Cork and I am going to go into detail as to how Cork will attempt to defeat us in the coming weeks. A few doubts grew in my mind during the week about that game but they are receding and I think we will take them. Incredibly we are still 6/1 tonight whilst Cork are 2/1 , work that one out !!!

I am glad I called the game right today and the best team won on the day. There are several points to make for meaningful discussion which I might go into later on but I must say something about Davy Fitzgerald.

I am genuinely worried and concerned for Davy. That interview made very uncomfortable watching and in fact was almost distressing. He looks to be under terrible strain and in fairness his answers or attempted brush offs of Claire McNamara were bordering on the ridiculous. Duignan correctly called it straight after the game when Davy went to berate the referee. This is an all too familiar pattern. I said last night here about the 'baggage' and it manifested itself again today with another red card and wholesale indiscipline from the Care outfit. It is incredible to think of the talent that is in Clare even with all the players that are now marking themselves absent from Davy's set up. They should have driven on to win after levelling late on in the game but the manager immediately withdrew another forward and Limerick punished that mistake with telling effect.

Davy's comments about being in the job for another ''few years'' might not rest well with the Clare public or indeed his panel after yet another Championship defeat especially with the abundance of talent that has been prepared for him by successive winning under 21 management teams. The loss of Kinnerk and his influence is glaring.

Davy will need support now from his closest friends because the backlash in his county will be severe. His health should come first and while there will be a few predictable ridiculous replies to this post like the one to my prediction last night I will just take no notice.

Limerick have now decided to join the 'system' but didn't play it that well. They will improve and be a huge threat to Tipperary. I will certainly be going to that match.

My long term fancy for Munster, our own Waterford at 10/1, will no doubt need to watch a ferocious backlash from Cork and I am going to go into detail as to how Cork will attempt to defeat us in the coming weeks. A few doubts grew in my mind during the week about that game but they are receding and I think we will take them. Incredibly we are still 6/1 tonight whilst Cork are 2/1 , work that one out !!!

You mention that you are worried about Davy. I personally feel that he draws all this onto himself. Why do we always end up talking about Davy after matches? Because comes on for after game interviews and try's to be clever. If he just answered the questions today instead of going around the houses and more or less answering the questions anyway there wouldn't be half the fuss.
    How is it every other inter county manager can be interviewed after the game and doesn't become the main story.
    The GAA needs characters like Davy but he can't become a caricature of himself and expect people to forgive his ramblings.
    Personally I feel he is stifling the growth of this Clare team and trying to defend 3 sendings off in their last 3 championship matches on poor refereeing decisions is weak management. He should be clamping down on that and by protecting Donnellan by saying that there is nothing wrong with Donal O Grady is poor. Donnellan struck out twice in front of the ref and linesman yet Davy still thinks he shouldn't have been sent off. Incredible.

Dublin will in time but are very young in transition with a game plan based on possession orientated style but have all Ireland proven coach and the outstanding ed coughlan from mayo football but a cork man

Waterford are not imo even close to all Ireland contenders as daly even didn't even have them beat cork in the paper today
    And he blew open this myth waterford style is new
    It's not and I said this before all it is is copycat other previous styles

As for baggage your imo completely wrong in limerick have less baggage then clare they haven't won since seventy three and never performance in croke park in minor or club or senior any description last few years so I can't fathom any logic how clare three under twenty one all Irelands and minor lost only point great kk minor team and won seniors all Irelands more baggage limerick
    That's with respect a complete load of nonsense limerick have less baggage than clare

Liam sheedy Said it today clare players backing Davy was no way players pressures but their own choice and with o connell coming back and apologies to panel and galvin and Colin Ryan and o donnell all saying Davy is fine imo they all belive in him

Limerick I feel have with stronger team and team reaching peak years huge pressure tomorrow and unlike clsre who are missing a load can't afford to loose
    It's imo win or bust for limerick and indeed Ryan
    Clare with fit panel could bounce back
    I slightly expect limerick to win as the team as I said is excellent team named but I still await be convinced they can play sweeper game effective but due clare injury worries I give them a hessiant vote to limerick but not for the reasons you say

Limerick have their own controversy with this week claims of politics within by the mother of a panel player and unlike clsre it happened so soon it represent challenge to solve so soon
    I can't believe this nonsense that everybody copies waterford style
    Limerick are copying clare style
    Clare had this style before waterford two years ago but a way more fluid attacking style with more guile cohesion and elegance that waterford attacking wise have yet to prove and when they score like clsre high returns two weeks in a row v KK and like two years ago they they can claim to be like them

Galway had exactly the same style as Waterford in 2012 and waterford were defensive under Davy
    Waterford have not invented or evolved hurling despite this myth some have imo

This talk the thunderstorm affected limerick as if to say it helped kk imo is such nonsense in limerick normally thrive with their physical game in these conditions while kk who played at a breathtaking pace in the all Ireland finals up a considerable notch from the limerick game would if it was dry have won by a few points
    Limerick were at full peak but kk no where near the all Ireland final performance still won
    Too much is made of the kk game imo from a limerick view

To say Waterfords style is copycat of another team is a little unfair. Derek McGrath didn't go "lets play the same style as Clare". He could see we were conceding alot of goals and that was the first main area that needed addressing especially with such a young team that needed to build confidence. Waterfords players individually are very different to clare players so just trying to copy that style wont work. Both teams styles have similarities but aren't the exact same. Clare have less ball winners in the air in both defence and forwards. Waterfords IMO have better defenders player for player than clare but clare have alot more flare and pace in the forward line. Derek McGrath needed to come up with a style that suited this Waterford team just because its similar to some aspects of Clares style is more coincidental than copycat.
    On another note, reading through the papers over the last few days 90% of journalists and pundits are picking Cork to beat Waterford. Its such a tough game to call due to many unknowns. Can Cork sort out their defensive problems? Can Waterford overcome the loss of Mahoney? I think theirs bigger questions hanging over Cork than Waterford. Waterford have a more settled team with options on the bench. Daniels and Fives in defence, Barrett, Sully or O' Neill in midfield and Devine, O' Halloran, Shane bennett (our secret weapon perhaps) and hopefully Patrick Curran in the forwards. Cork have plenty options in attack but look tread bare in defence. That has to be a huge concern down in Cork. But make no mistake about it Cork are dangerous even more so after we beat them in the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Having watched the game today a few things can be taken from it. Nothing to fear against that Limerick performance as i believe if we do meet them we should be confident of beating them. Clare,if Buglar and McGrath are back,will be dangerous in the qualifiers but no world beaters either. Our fellas should have enough confidence at this stage to be relishing the chance of winning Munster and while O Mahoney is a huge loss i still think we'll have enough about us to beat Cork. Tipp i would be afraid of but they have their own problems of having to go to the Gaelic grounds to beat Limerick which they definitely won't fancy. 6/1 is a tremendous price or an insult depending on what way you look at it.

Heard Maurices knee is actually bruised rather than what I originally said. 50/50 for the game.

I would totally totally respect your right to opinion however id disagree with parts of your posts and your obviously saying you won't reply my post fair enough that's your choice but with the greatest respect I won't mind too much when your only really posting since waterford got semi final league so I'm sure you will understand and appreciate my unfamiliar knowledge your posts in your posts very new so compared lot other long term waterford posters here I probably won't take much in to you not replying to some posts just yet as posting when waterford winning is fine but it's always good see posters view when a team looses also
    Like a manager in you judge them in victory and in defeat

like myself you called the game correctly and congratulations, but I said it be close before the game and I had doubts regards the ability limerick management tactically have and even a lot of limerick lads on their thread felt lot poor poor tactics and moves by limerick management were poor and I feel limerick were lucky to win and could easily lost and with mcgrath galvin or bulger would beaten limerick or even with full team at the start of the second half would have won

You would be correct regards discipline is a problem but like I said before the game the baggage was no problem and it proved so in no problem with the camp as team man down never gave up and played to the end and showed huge unity within and like v KK twice if was problems in team under manager wouldn't happened

You say you feel worried for Davy
    Fair enough if you do and it's good to see but your imo making a very very big call to suggest he's under serious strain health wise and suggesting it'd affect him in you say he has strain when imo all managers intercounty show strain even cody and others and they had like Davy yes health issues regard cody and himself had work done regards their heart but didn't affect them in management
    Davy is young and fit and imo didn't show any real strain in he's so passionate he was gutted after the match but regards the interview he was mellow in he could hardly go all out attack as if so people would complain so it's no when imo for him
    He brushed off the interview as rightly so he was bring thrown the bait for a reaction as they know it's big news
    He is smart and was right and was brilliant absolutely brilliant in praising he's team efforts and commitment and he didn't blame them but how he was so so so proud of he's team
    Truly passionate and filled with compassion and pride imo

He was giving he's view and right regards some referee decisions but the man sent off was the correct call he had to go

You may know about Waterford fair enough but to suggest you know how cork will plan beat waterford as if you you know their plan sorry now but that's hardly correct now as I can guarantee you cork plan beat waterford is well kept secret and haven't been back training that much really since the final
    Cork have injuries and Waterford are likely to possibly win but cork plan is kept secret as clearly shown by second half v Waterford when cork played long ball after ball on waterford half back line yet cork out thought clare double half forward line last year

Kinnerk loss you are correct is a huge loss but he said he's coming back next year and galvin also likely this year so two have huge belief in Davy and you should read ryan galvin and donnell interview praising davvy and even Liam sheedy also saying panel clare fully support Davy as have daly and jamsie o Connor etc
    If you want me post links some those interviews for you to read I'd be happy to do so you can see huge support the panel have for him

Panel certainly belive in him and they showed that today and imo Davy won't be going anywhere as he's dad is chairman and he's sister in the supporters club and also if Davy is forced out people forget that daly o Connor kinnerk would unlikely take over over Davy head so there's no proven good coach outside them to take the job

Davy is the last man standing in a sense in he's last two counties he managed in he's the only and last man in fifty years or so to do what others could not do and get waterford to an all Ireland final and the last manager in clare win all Ireland and in clare hurling only second to the great great ger louganne so I think while yes he's unpopular he's record is outstanding and with lit also and always improved any team lucky to have him imo

If he gets a fit panel and improves the discipline they will take a serious team to beat them in championship paticularly in croke park as limerick and Waterford traditionally don't have great records in croke park

To say Waterfords style is copycat of another team is a little unfair. Derek McGrath didn't go "lets play the same style as Clare". He could see we were conceding alot of goals and that was the first main area that needed addressing especially with such a young team that needed to build confidence. Waterfords players individually are very different to clare players so just trying to copy that style wont work. Both teams styles have similarities but aren't the exact same. Clare have less ball winners in the air in both defence and forwards. Waterfords IMO have better defenders player for player than clare but clare have alot more flare and pace in the forward line. Derek McGrath needed to come up with a style that suited this Waterford team just because its similar to some aspects of Clares style is more coincidental than copycat.
    On another note, reading through the papers over the last few days 90% of journalists and pundits are picking Cork to beat Waterford. Its such a tough game to call due to many unknowns. Can Cork sort out their defensive problems? Can Waterford overcome the loss of Mahoney? I think theirs bigger questions hanging over Cork than Waterford. Waterford have a more settled team with options on the bench. Daniels and Fives in defence, Barrett, Sully or O' Neill in midfield and Devine, O' Halloran, Shane bennett (our secret weapon perhaps) and hopefully Patrick Curran in the forwards. Cork have plenty options in attack but look tread bare in defence. That has to be a huge concern down in Cork. But make no mistake about it Cork are dangerous even more so after we beat them in the league final.

A very reasoned and balanced post with some points I'd agree with
    You have a point to say it's unfair to say clare system was copied but imo it's unfairly equally for some to say waterford system is new when it's not really bran new to be fair

• Advertisement

A very reasoned and balanced post with some points I'd agree with
    You have a point to say it's unfair to say clare system was copied but imo it's unfairly equally for some to say waterford system is new when it's not really bran new to be fair

We protect our fullback by dropping Tadgh de Burca or sometimes Gleeson in front of Coughlan which is what Clare and some other teams have done. We also see some of the Waterford half forwards defending in our own half backline a bit like what Eoin Larkin was praised for over the last number of years. The rucks that form around the middle third and then the quick break with multiple runners off the ball is very Clare like alright although Clare with a full panel have more players suited to this style. IMO though Clare always have to have drop an extra player back to protect their full backline as their corner backs especially are average at best whereas Waterford have Connors, Fives and Daniels who don't need the same amount of protection as the Clare corner backs. I believe in time (maybe next year) Waterford will stop dropping an extra player in front of our full back. Although i would say that McGrath will always want his half forward line to drop back towards midfield/halfback line.

Waterford are a work in progress no doubt and if we beat Cork we still can't say we have arrived but if Cork beat us that also doesn't mean that we are all hype either. We won't know how good we are until we play either Tipp or more so Kilkenny in the championship. You have to be realistic with such a young team so if Waterford could get to an all Ireland semi final that would be a huge year for us and then build on that for next year. Really looking forward to June the 7th now hopefully the sod is dry for both teams sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement