Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching Practice split class (Hibernia Student)

Options
  • 30-03-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be commencing the Master in Primary Teaching in Hibernia College in September 19. I am thinking about the different schools/classes that I will be able to teach in for TP. For any previous Hibernia College student, is a split class very hard on TP? In light of the fact that you would have to do two sets of lesson plans every night? There are a lot of small country schools within 10 miles of my home and I think this experience would be of benefit when I’m qualified. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I went through the Mary I way but we had a mandatory split class placement too. I ended up with 5th and 6th and found it very worthwhile. You learn a lot about planning and not just the typing out of jargon onto a page but with regards to structuring your lessons, providing time for one class (usually the elder of the two) to do independent work while you provide further instruction to the other class. Depending on the age group you're dealing with it allows for peer tutoring opportunities too. It was one of my favourite placements.

Saying that I also did my Infant placement with Juniors, Seniors and First Class and I did find that challenging due to the difference in level and the neediness of the younger children. I was lucky the first class were quite strong though and we got lots of work done in the last hour of the day after Juniors and Seniors went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Roisinnolan

Hi,

I will be commencing the Master in Primary Teaching in Hibernia College in September 19. I am thinking about the different schools/classes that I will be able to teach in for TP. For any previous Hibernia College student, is a split class very hard on TP? In light of the fact that you would have to do two sets of lesson plans every night? There are a lot of small country schools within 10 miles of my home and I think this experience would be of benefit when I’m qualified. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi, I did hibernia and completed all 3 placements in split classes. My first was in a 4th, 5th and 6th class the second was in 1st 2nd and 3rd class and my final 2 were in SI and 1st class and 4th and 5th that’s the way schools in Ireland are and it’s great experience.
    You only do one lesson plan for a split class but you need to differentiate for the lower/higher class through questioning, resources and product but it’s all quite small and the kids wouldn’t notice. I found the 3 classes quite hard especially the 1st, 2nd and 3rd classroom as there was such a difference between the 1st and 3rd class. But I found the 2 much easier and worthwhile so I wouldn’t let it put you off! And one tip: organize all your placements ASAP as I was stuck for my final placement! Best of luck with your studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thank you for your replies

Just thought of another question. In Hibernia College, you have to submit teaching plans every night while on TP. On a Friday, must the submission be made on Friday evening or before end of Sunday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just thought of another question. In Hibernia College, you have to submit teaching plans every night while on TP. On a Friday, must the submission be made on Friday evening or before end of Sunday evening?

You have to submit the teaching plans in advance, so you have to have Mondays ones submitted by midnight on Sunday, Tuesdays by midnight on Monday and so on!

• Advertisement

Thanks Ferris,

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Unless you have a relative who can get you a job in a school afterwards don't do it. Hibernia (and the other colleges) are turning out huge numbers of newly qualified teachers - way more than there are jobs for. The course is horrendous and way over priced. If you must - go to Scotland where they will practically pay you to study and convert the Irish requirement later. You probably won't need it anyway as many go abroad to get work where you will not be required to teach Irish. Honestly, don't take my word for it. Go in to any staff room in the country and meet the NQTs there scrambling about trying to find the scraps of subbing and maternity leaves that keep them hoping for a full time job for years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Unless you have a relative who can get you a job in a school afterwards don't do it. Hibernia (and the other colleges) are turning out huge numbers of newly qualified teachers - way more than there are jobs for. The course is horrendous and way over priced. If you must - go to Scotland where they will practically pay you to study and convert the Irish requirement later. You probably won't need it anyway as 90% or NQTs have to go abroad to get work where you will not be required to teach Irish. Honestly, don't take my word for it. Go in to any staff room in the country and meet the NQTs there scrambling about trying to find the scraps of subbing and maternity leaves that keep them hoping for a full time job for years on end.

Do you have a link for that figure or are you just making it up?

Apt username...

Do you have a link for that figure or are you just making it up?

Yes, I exaggerated - stressed! Apologies and edited to correct.

• Advertisement

Angliru wrote: »
    Apt username...

Love Island. Seriously?

Love Island. Seriously?

Seriously what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone going into teaching these days would be foolish if they had not checked out the jobs situation. There is a lot of misinformation out there. There are a lot of people in staff rooms on small hours, scrabbling to get by.

By all means do any course you want, but don't be surprised when the job opportunities are fairly slim. By job I mean proper full hours job, not on a temporary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I think your thinking too much about it OP. Before you go on any TP you will be briefed on how to tackle these things and being in multigrade classrooms. Ive been in rooms with 3-6th in them and juniors to 2nd. Its all do-able but you will have learnt a format and the skills for doing so prior to being on TP so dont sweat the small stuff.

Advertisement