Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

popping Manhole cover plate

Options
  • 15-04-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi There,
    I have this manhole cover plate outside my property, and I was talking to a lad from Eircom who says as long as the conduit ends up inside the box, they'll connect the broadband.

So the question is, how would you normally pop a cover like this, it looks fairly heavy.
    Someone mentioned even though it looks like it's split along the horizontal , there's probably a bolt in the center holding the two side together . There is four holes in it, 2 on each side.

Any help is appriciated

Manhole_cover.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

magnethead wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I have this manhole cover plate outside my property, and I was talking to a lad from Eircom who says as long as the conduit ends up inside the box, they'll connect the broadband.

So the question is, how would you normally pop a cover like this, it looks fairly heavy.
    Someone mentioned even though it looks like it's split along the horizontal , there's probably a bolt in the center holding the two side together . There is four holes in it, 2 on each side.

Any help is appriciated

Manhole_cover.jpg?raw=1

You need manhole lifters. The two bits should be bolted together alright. It can be done with things like crow bars but I wouldn’t try it, if you drop that in it will damage a lot of cables

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks, I'll give it a shot anyway ;p

ok, so I went to B&Q and got some Manhole lifters, there was a small digger nearby that did me a solid and lifted it for me.
    Now for the next problem. I need to get a dust into this box of ****, but it looks fairly well built, blocks on the flat as far as i can tell.
    If you look at the top left, I think that's the neighbors telecom wire coming in, Should I core drill the side of the box and try and get the duct under the path and onto my property? how would you do it? (The path also has a water line at the edge (see the service valve there)

1.jpg?raw=1

2.jpg?raw=1

3.jpg?raw=1

Could anybody offer some advice on the best way to cut a hole in the side of a flat block? Shoud you use a core drill, or would you drill a few small holes and chisel out the block? Thanks

Ok, I hate threads that finish off without a solution, some advice I could have done with, Get a Kango hammer, watch the water main, take off the top 3" of tarmac from the path and dig down through all the crap, hard compact stuff, then kango out the top brick in the Manhole...and feed your conduit in,
    THen you need a bag of something called, "cold tar" (Builders suppliers) to fill back in when you're done, It helps if you're builder is nearby finishing off the stone for your slab, and you can borrow his 'whacker' machine.

Coms1.jpg?raw=1

Coms2.jpg?raw=1

oh and don't forget to apply for your road opening license ;p LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement