Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huge range of vegan food introduced in M&S

• 05-01-2019 5:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Friends have been trying them and saying they are really good.

oYmbs7bl.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some of the products, there's a good few more too:

Ut5l8KHl.jpg

qxiNSyEl.jpg

nAGVxzDl.jpg

1JNzxy4l.jpg

Rg4YFTll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I picked up the BBQ jackfruit pizza. Haven't tried it yet but looks good.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've had a few of these - the cauliflower popcorn is amazing, the cashew mac is good too and I also enjoyed the mushroom stroganoff and the sticky teriyaki tofu. Similar prices to Wicked Kitchen in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I loved the cauli popcorn, and the mac & cheese (the one in the little pot that you microwave). I would like to try the coleslaw but haven't seen it anywhere yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Well I spent far too much in M&S today but a lot of this new range has gluten or wheat so not for me. I still found a lot to buy, meals sorted for some time anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

If anybody sees the coleslaw in any M&S store please post, have tried a few stores and no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I was curious about the cauli popcorn, but more than €4 for a few bits of cauliflower is ridiculous. I know M&S is not cheap, but there's no way I'd pay that amount of money for it.

If anybody sees the coleslaw in any M&S store please post, have tried a few stores and no luck!

I got it in Grafton St today- strangely enough it was in the aisle where the sausages are (with the plant kitchen sausages also). In one way I like how they have bits dotted round the store, in another way I would prefer they keep in all in one place so I dont have to guess at their placement logic!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it's best for sales to do it like they do, but best for convenience for me if they put it all together. Not tried any of this range yet, must buy them at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Love my meat but I must give some of these a try. Probably a lot healthier than their meaty counterparts? Last year I picked up the Linda McCartney sausages and was amazed at how tasty they were especially when added to pasta

• Advertisement

I think it's best for sales to do it like they do, but best for convenience for me if they put it all together. Not tried any of this range yet, must buy them at the weekend.

Oh its 100% better for sales, but not for my lunchtime trips :):)

L'prof wrote: »
    Love my meat but I must give some of these a try. Probably a lot healthier than their meaty counterparts? Last year I picked up the Linda McCartney sausages and was amazed at how tasty they were especially when added to pasta

Depends on what way you count health I guess - plant based, so yes healthier than ingesting another animals cholesterol, antibiotics, whatever other way you want to put it. If you are basing it on calories it might not be too much different.

Linda Mc sausages are a staple in my house!

I have eaten a lot of those sausages! Her sausage rolls are amazing too.

kcdiom wrote: »
    Depends on what way you count health I guess - plant based, so yes healthier than ingesting another animals cholesterol, antibiotics, whatever other way you want to put it. If you are basing it on calories it might not be too much different.

Linda Mc sausages are a staple in my house!

I just mean if you compare the likes of vegan sausages to regular sausages then they’re lower in fat and calorie wise and higher in protein
    I have eaten a lot of those sausages! Her sausage rolls are amazing too.

I’ve heard this but haven’t picked any up. Must Give them a go

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭khennessy86

might be worth asking in store for the coleslaw , i have seen it in two diff m&S in cork and they have the range spread across two sections

L'prof wrote: »
    I just mean if you compare the likes of vegan sausages to regular sausages then they’re lower in fat and calorie wise and higher in protein

Yeah the sausages are I guess, I'm not sure that the influx of ready meals are any better calorie wise (thinking more specifically about substitute cheeses and sauces made of nuts etc that are generally higher in cals) :)

Yeah the sausages are I guess, I'm not sure that the influx of ready meals are any better calorie wise (thinking more specifically about substitute cheeses and sauces made of nuts etc that are generally higher in cals) :)

Fair point, I’d imagine things like Lasagna and Chilli non Carne would be too as mince isn’t the healthiest of foods

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I was in Iceland few weeks back, they have nice stuff also but the Linda McCartney sausages were only €1.30, great price for them

I always stock up on the LMC there! Their "No Bull" burgers are amazing, and pretty cheap. €2.50 for 2. Mince and chicken etc is good too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Space Dog wrote: »
    I was curious about the cauli popcorn, but more than €4 for a few bits of cauliflower is ridiculous. I know M&S is not cheap, but there's no way I'd pay that amount of money for it.

It's £3 in the UK, didn't realise it was such a ripoff in Ireland!

I got the coleslaw (£1.50) a couple of days ago, made a lovely vegan sausage sandwich yesterday with two of the M&S sausoyges and the coleslaw.

• Advertisement

Everything is more expensive in Ireland in supermarkets I notice. Usually I'll add a €1 to the UK price of a new food coming here that costs a few pound in the uk.

Got the coleslaw it was €2.20 which to me isn't bad at all and the most reasonably priced of all their products - it is also worth every penny....delicious creamy coleslaw...yummy!!! The only problem was the date....a full shelf full of use by the next day!! Also tried the no beef burgers which were €4.50 for 2....while I enjoyed them, personally I wouldn't think they are any better/nicer than the no bull burgers in Iceland which are €2 cheaper!! I got the little pot of macaroni pasta which I have yet to try but it was €3.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Everything is more expensive in Ireland in supermarkets I notice. Usually I'll add a €1 to the UK price of a new food coming here that costs a few pound in the uk.

Yeah, but the cauliflower is €4.70 here vs £3 in the UK. It's a but much for a bit of veg.

Got the coleslaw it was €2.20 which to me isn't bad at all and the most reasonably priced of all their products - it is also worth every penny....delicious creamy coleslaw...yummy!!! The only problem was the date....a full shelf full of use by the next day!! Also tried the no beef burgers which were €4.50 for 2....while I enjoyed them, personally I wouldn't think they are any better/nicer than the no bull burgers in Iceland which are €2 cheaper!! I got the little pot of macaroni pasta which I have yet to try but it was €3.70.

I love the coleslaw as well, the macaroni pasta was nice, but I would not be rushing to get it again. The burgers look too like the real thing for me personally!

Space Dog wrote: »
    Yeah, but the cauliflower is €4.70 here vs £3 in the UK. It's a but much for a bit of veg.

TBH I preferred the BOSH cauli pops that I made to the M&S ones. Its a very small amount for the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

As a veggie I'm normally not a fan of made to imitate meat stuff as I don't get the idea and most efforts usually tastes poor but we got some white pudding made by a crowd in Cork in Aldi the other day and it was absolutely delicious. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from the real thing. Pretty sure it was vegan too.

As a veggie I'm normally not a fan of made to imitate meat stuff as I don't get the idea and most efforts usually tastes poor but we got some white pudding made by a crowd in Cork in Aldi the other day and it was absolutely delicious. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Pretty sure it was vegan too.

Is that the Kellys one? I actually want to try that but havent seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Is that the Kellys one? I actually want to try that but havent seen it!

That's the one. Unfortunately it looks like its veggie not vegan but it really is fantastic.

TBH I preferred the BOSH cauli pops that I made to the M&S ones. Its a very small amount for the cost

Recipe link??

• Advertisement

That's the one. Unfortunately it looks like its veggie not vegan but it really is fantastic.

I think they are selling it in Dunnes as well now, but have it on their vegan shelf...must investigate further ;)

Advertisement