Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-01-2020, 12:21   #61
glasso
Registered User
 
glasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,549
A clean install of Windows 10 is preferable to an update really
glasso is offline  
Advertisement
06-01-2020, 12:43   #62
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
A clean install of Windows 10 is preferable to an update really
Be careful with this, you need to upgrade first to activate cleanly then do a clean install afterwards, it is more time consuming obviously but you won't get activation problems.
CoBo55 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2020, 13:04   #63
styron
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 801
The upgrade option is free as you're meant to be retiring a 7 for a 10. A compromise avoiding potential data issues and a cleaner upgrade
is to shrink and create a second partition, do a fresh validated install of 7 and upgrade that to win 10 - effectively dual booting win 10 alongside your original 7 OS, migrating data at your leisure.
styron is online now  
06-01-2020, 13:45   #64
glasso
Registered User
 
glasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Be careful with this, you need to upgrade first to activate cleanly then do a clean install afterwards, it is more time consuming obviously but you won't get activation problems.
You can use your existing win 7 key so no need to upgrade first.
glasso is offline  
06-01-2020, 18:29   #65
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,408
Going to have a go at this but first stupid question is how do I find my Windows 7 key?
muffler is offline  
Advertisement
06-01-2020, 19:01   #66
irishgeo
Registered User
 
irishgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
Going to have a go at this but first stupid question is how do I find my Windows 7 key?
Jellybean key finder
irishgeo is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 21:54   #67
ColdTurkey
Registered User
 
ColdTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 130
The PC was going in the bin, had my heart broke with freezes. Clean install this evening and its flat out since. Thanks for the heads up Op.
ColdTurkey is offline  
(3) thanks from:
06-01-2020, 23:23   #68
Esel
Not your ornery onager
 
Esel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
Going to have a go at this but first stupid question is how do I find my Windows 7 key?
Possibly on a sticker at rear of PC or underneath of laptop.
Esel is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2020, 23:48   #69
irishproduce
Registered User
 
irishproduce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,312
Send a message via Yahoo to irishproduce
Will 10 upgrade onto a Vostro all in one desktop?
irishproduce is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 08:21   #70
MacDanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
Going to have a go at this but first stupid question is how do I find my Windows 7 key?
Download this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris10 View Post
I did it last night and it worked perfectly
MacDanger is offline  
Thanks from:
07-01-2020, 09:23   #71
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
You can use your existing win 7 key so no need to upgrade first.
Sometimes it won't accept the key saying it's the incorrect type etc.
CoBo55 is offline  
07-01-2020, 15:30   #72
m8
Registered User
 
m8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 794
Mine updated no issues, thanks OP.
m8 is offline  
07-01-2020, 17:11   #73
mrtom
Registered User
 
mrtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Sometimes it won't accept the key saying it's the incorrect type etc.

I have an illegible smudged W 7 sticker / key on the base of my Sony laptop.
So I used 3 key retrieval tools; Balarc Advisor, Magic Jelly Bean & Product key finder, all of which gave me an identical key value which doesn't match parts of the smudged sticker that I can read. The retrieved key was rejected during my W 10 clean install.

The Sony has the original W7 OS preinstalled.
What is the Irish phone number for Windows support ?
solutions anyone ?

Last edited by mrtom; 07-01-2020 at 17:51.
mrtom is offline  
07-01-2020, 18:11   #74
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtom View Post
I have an illegible smudged W 7 sticker / key on the base of my Sony laptop.
So I used 3 key retrieval tools; Balarc Advisor, Magic Jelly Bean & Product key finder, all of which gave me an identical key value which doesn't match parts of the smudged sticker that I can read. The retrieved key was rejected during my W 10 clean install.

The Sony has the original W7 OS preinstalled.
What is the Irish phone number for Windows support ?
solutions anyone ?
Is W7 still working? If so, upgrade from within W7, once W10 is up and running you can clean install it. If W7 is gone you can try one of those eBay windows key sellers.
CoBo55 is offline  
07-01-2020, 18:38   #75
Fieldog
Registered User
 
Fieldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtom View Post
I have an illegible smudged W 7 sticker / key on the base of my Sony laptop.
So I used 3 key retrieval tools; Balarc Advisor, Magic Jelly Bean & Product key finder, all of which gave me an identical key value which doesn't match parts of the smudged sticker that I can read. The retrieved key was rejected during my W 10 clean install.

The Sony has the original W7 OS preinstalled.
What is the Irish phone number for Windows support ?
solutions anyone ?
Sounds like your lacking space on that laptop, copy over all your important files onto an external USB key or HDD first, delete all your old programs to have about 40gb free and then try it and see how you get on...
Fieldog is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet