Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemarathon April 2019

Options
  • 04-11-2018 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi i have just signed up for my first Marathon. I decided to go for Connemara for a few reasons - it suits me work-wise , it gives me time to prepare and as it is considered a "tougher" course. i dont want to go abroad and neither do i want to run it in summer.

i am not expecting an amazing time. I simply want to finish it - and see what time i get.
    The course and its beauty attracts me and i am less inclined towards city races.

Will need lots of advice on prep and training! i have done a couple of halves and plenty of 10k's and parkruns. This is now cranking it up to a different level.
    Both my HM times were 1h 42 (in last summer's heat) and dublin 1h 32 (much flatter and better conditions) weekly mileage would be 40k per week for the past 5 months.
    (i know this distance will require a good deal more mileage over the coming months)

as i said, not really interested in times - i will consider these closer to the event when i see how my training is developing and if i can handle those LONG steady runs.

anyone out there just sign up? any runners try connemara as their first marathon?

i know there have been lots of posts on this marathon - just opening this up in the hope to get some help from more seasoned runners and fellow novices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I did it in 2017 and it was my first marathon. I did it on a pretty light low mileage plan, though not by any means recommending that you do so. A nice race and really beautiful setting, but a very tough 2nd half. You will hear all about the hills at half way and just short of the end, but the second half is quite rolling.

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mountain_M78

Down South wrote: »
    I did it in 2017 and it was my first marathon. I did it on a pretty light low mileage plan, though not by any means recommending that you do so. A nice race and really beautiful setting, but a very tough 2nd half. You will hear all about the hills at half way and just short of the end, but the second half is quite rolling.

enjoy!

Cheers for that.
    What kind of mileage did u do for it? How low was it?
    Also - would you recommend regular hill training and if so how would it be structured?

Ive plenty of time to plan but i feel i need to get a good bit of variety to training.
    What about your longest run prior to it?

All ideas/ tips greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It was my third marathon, having previously done Dublin twice. I haven’t yet decided on it re 2019. Definitely one to do again, it’s a beautiful part of the country.

My report is here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106834986&postcount=174

I followed a 14 week plan for DCM graduates. Train well and don’t get too focused on a time. You could always look at a time doing it another year.

Used a 3 day pw ASIC online plan. Probably averaged c35k pw but that ramped up at the end with the long runs. Could only commit to that level at the time. Now running 5 days pw and double the mileage, with no plans for a marathon, just club racing.

At the time I didn't do specific hill training but I live in a hilly area and incorporated hills into the Long Runs. Would recommend some hill training.

excellent thanks. your report was insightful.

i like the attitude of not doing anything stupid and keeping it cautious,
    i just wanna enjoy it and it sound slike you did. congrats. i will have a similar approach.

• Advertisement

yes me too RE hills. they are unavoidable where i live (Cork)
    how did you stagger your long runs?

i did a 25 k recently and got a great buzz and feel like i wanna slowly inch up by a mile each fortnight before Christmas.
    would you say hitting 30 -32 k on a long run is way too early ie a full 4 months before a marathon?

how many weeks did you leave between long runs. i was thinking something along the lines (the next few weeks before xmas
    week 1 LSR 10 miles
    week 2 LSR 12 miles
    week 3 17 miles (considering longest LSR was about 15.5 miles a week ago)
    week 4 10 miles
    week 5 12-13 miles
    week 6 18 miles

do you think i should wait till after xmas to start hitting 19-20 milers or even a little beyond that?
    would that be peaking too early or simply money in the bank in your opinion?

I'm no marathon expert. I was up to 18k at Xmas; 23k late Jan; 27k mid Feb; 30k early March and 35k end of March

There's a risk if your not used to high mileage that by hitting the high miles too early you have nowhere else to go and will keep pushing it (too many long runs or getting faster) and risk injury

To be honest I think I 'got away it' and would do more runs and more miles if doing it again. As I said in first post I'm doing c 60k a week now with no intention of running a marathon anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Signed up for the HM of this. Second time doing it (and second HM). OP, once you get past 'the hell of the west' I think it's called, the run to the finish is a slight decline/flat. Looking forward to it!

Hi guys been looking at the O,regan plan for the Connemarathon. Ii think the mileage is high for a novice/first timer.
    I will follow it though - i have also seen the novice plan for DCM here on boards from a previous year.

I have some knowledge of the mac millan calculator and i have tried to apply it trying to get a sub 20 5k.
    but for a marathon - i have read in a few places that more of less its ALL slow mileage for novice marathon prep.
    My question is - my easy pace is 5.05 /km - shoul di apply this to my marathon ntraining - at least 3 easy runs a week.
    also - how often to do intervals? and if my vo2 max pace os 3.40 /km - should i sustain this for the slower pace of a marathon?
    how many sets for these intervals? i am presuming that my intervals should be slightly faste rthan my goal pace.
    PS i want to finish my first marathon in around 4hrs.

and should the 3x easy runs i do a week be slower than 5.05 (somewhere around 5.30 k/m)

(for me - hills will be incorportated into my long runs )
    slighty confused about what to do with regard to my training paces.
    any help appreciated!
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

My question is - my easy pace is 5.05 /km
    PS i want to finish my first marathon in around 4hrs.
    Either that's not your easy pace, or your goal is way too soft. A 4 hour marathon is run at 5:41/km. Your easy pace should be a minute or more slower than that (a minimum of 30 seconds slower)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Actually , i was using that as my easy pace when preparing for a half and 10 -milers.

however, for various reasons, i want to be conservative for my first marathon.

i would be happy with a 4hour one - and will adjust my easy pace.
    just a question - a lot of the basic novice plans dont go into mile repeats - would you in your experience think that mile repeats are a good
    idea every couple of weeks, if so how many *an how much recovery between each)
    im a great fan of these for a 5k - just not sure how to apply them to marathon training (for a 4hour finish or very slightly under)

just a question - a lot of the basic novice plans dont go into mile repeats - would you in your experience think that mile repeats are a good
    idea every couple of weeks, if so how many *an how much recovery between each)
    im a great fan of these for a 5k - just not sure how to apply them to marathon training (for a 4hour finish or very slightly under)
    Largely irrelevant. Quantity is far more important than quality for marathon training, especially for a novice. Concentrate on a slow, but steady increase in mileage.

And if you're following a training plan, then follow it. The O'Regan plan doesn't have mile repeats

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

thanks for your opinion on this. I'm gonna focus on lengthening my weekday runs -

but in terms of the novice marathon - what would your absolute minimum of miles per week for the next 4 months roughly?
    cast an eye over this -
    Mon - Rest
    Tues - 5 miles
    Wed - 7 miles
    Thurs - 5 miles
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - fast parkrun + extra couple of steady mile
    Sun - Long slow run - up to 15 miles at the moment .
    (every third week, minumum 10 miles on other weeks)
    obviously , as i progress , will add roughly 10 per cent per week.

Don't think of it in terms of "minimum" miles. The O'Regan plan looks fine, broadly similar to most novice plans. So if you're going to follow it, stick to it. Minor alterations due to external and/or unavoidable events are inevitable, but the aim should be to follow it. Make sure you read the supporting text of the plan, not just the table.

You should post in (and read) the sub-4 support thread on the main forum, you'll get plenty of advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Signed up for the marathon this year after the Ultra in 2018 and getting injured for 6 months. Slowly getting back into shape and building the mileage again.
    My PB on that course is 3:09 but that's a while back.
    Hopefully I'll be able to give it a lash and smash that.
    As always in Connemara the weather can be a real killer (remember 2016?). I think it's a great race that makes you train in the winter.

Excellent time on sucha course. I have no huge target. With a 1.32 half in dublin i thi k 3.30 would be within my reach . But honestly dont want to " race" my first marathon. Its gonna be a learning process so id be happy to get advice from experienced runners like yourself.

Actually on sunday i had a long run and hit 16 miles. However- really struggled in last mile and am convinced that ot was partly nutrition. I had a coupke of gels and could feel hunger hitting me twards tge end. Hydration was fine however.
    Secondly, i ran a 20 min parkrun the day before witg very slight soreness sunday morning.

Im gonna need advice on how to practical fuel during a marathon. Im tall and am the kind of guy who constantly eats without putting on weight .
    So over the coming months am dependibg on good advice on how best to approach eating before abd during the big runs.

echancrure wrote: »
    Signed up for the marathon this year after the Ultra in 2018 and getting injured for 6 months. Slowly getting back into shape and building the mileage again.
    My PB on that course is 3:09 but that's a while back.
    Hopefully I'll be able to give it a lash and smash that.
    As always in Connemara the weather can be a real killer (remember 2016?). I think it's a great race that makes you train in the winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Worth setting up a training log https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139

Another mantra to keep in mind for your first time experience - respect the distance.

The number 1 rule of fuelling is: make sure you've tried it in realistic training a couple of times before making your choice.

So try it on a 20+ k run at a fair pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I'm in for the Ultra.
    Have had my eye on this (well the marathon anyway) since before we moved to Ireland in 2010, so good to finally be able to commit to it.

No target at all in mind, will be using it as a long training run for Belfast 24hr.
    Fuelling strategy will be - a little as possible, likely a bladder with Tailwind, some caffeine and salt tabs if it's warm.

Hope to catch up with some of you along the way!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Received my number, bag AND Tee-shirt by post yesterday.

Now I don't mind too much, but is it not a bit early to get the shirt 7 weeks before the race?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

My first time doing this one. My experience is flat marathons so I wanted to try a hilly one for a bit of fun. Anyone do it before ? Comments tips etc appreciated

Beautiful part of the world. Ran it last year (report here) and would do so again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Beautiful part of the world. Ran it last year (report here) and would do so again.

Great read, I noticed 14/15/24 miles ur pace dropped, I'm assuming hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

24 miles slow down would be a wee hill called "hell of the west" :)

Did the full there 2 or 3 years ago and the weather was *awful* [sideways rain & wind. Worst weather I have run in] - but the two years before that I think I remember insane unseasonal sun - so train for all weather conditions :)

But super scenic race, deffo one to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Forget about time, just enjoy the scenery and experience. And keep something in store for the Hell of the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Glad this thread got a bump as hadn't booked anywhere to stay for the Sat night, sorted now. See from the website that the ultra is sold out & not too many spots left in the marathon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well my plans for Conn Ultra have gone to hell,
    injured during Donadea 50km and last week did a 30mile Lsr and picked up a different injury.

There goes my plan for sub 5.30 completely :(

Just enjoying the scenery for me too at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cabaal wrote: »
    injured during Donadea 50km and last week did a 30mile Lsr and picked up a different injury.

You still have a very realistic chance of beating me ...

Assuming the weather plays ball...

Aiming for the marathon myself, not as ready as planned (when did that happen ever?) but I'll be happy to run it whatever happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I've no particular goal apart from finishing as just to torture myself a bit have the Tralee marathon the following w/end! Hopefully it will all help me get to the end of Comrades in June.

Advertisement