Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Genealogy Roadshow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

pinkypinky wrote: »

John Grenham shouldn't have said that about the IRA man's daughter (granddaughter?) - it's hardly her fault about the Four Courts.

I totally agree, it was completely unprofessional of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just watched my recording of the last programme. The professional genealogists still look somewhat uneasy with the whole thing. Mr. Mooney should not be invited to do any future series. In my humble opinion (and I am not a genealogist, I just have an interest in genealogy/history) with this experience behind them, why not allow the genealogists to present it themselves! Its a no-brainer really! They would need some support regarding what should or should not be said on national television. Mr. Mooney, the professional presenter, was also guilty of making political comments. Did no-one say 'cut', do not bring either your own or other personal prejudices to bear on historical research. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Overall, interesting subject, and interesting cases, but badly presented. Unfortunately, someone had all these ideas and thought they were great, and someone else bought it. It doesn't work, ladies and gentlemen. Time to re-think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Saw it tonight for the 2nd time, and several things struck me straight away!

The opening music made it sound like a cross between a War film film & the Texas chain saw massacre, then you had the incessant nationalistic narritive that just seemed to dominate the whole episode (as it did last week). People will again try & compare this to the BBCs 'Who do you think you are', but alas there is no comparison. This RTE version included poor production & poor attention to detail + the wrong opening soundtrack.

My Rating for this weeks episode; 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, the historical nationalistic references are starting to grate. I'm not a big history nerd myself, and truth be told I may be a little vague on the 'them' and 'us' sides in the assorted skirmishes that made up the early part of the last century in Ireland.

Initially I just assumed that "what side were your people on" was part of the genealogy thing from watching this program, but from some of the posts here I guess not. This is as it should be in my view.

This weeks show was the worst from my point of view - it just didn't really gel for me.

I think that of the three, the female researcher comes across by far the most professional, just dealing with the facts without the op-ed element thrown in by the two lads. I know that opinions can be interesting and it would be *really* boring if it was just a stream of facts, but let's just say that some of the opinions/comments seem a little barbed. I definitely think the "I'll forgive you for your father destroying the archives" think came across as really cringeworthy.

In order to improve the whole thing they should look at providing a "behind the scenes" or equivalent showing how they dug up some of the facts. This would help people start off on their own tracks.

The strangest thing for me was the one about the 'passport' from the 1800s. It was an interesting story, well developed. However, after doing all this there was then an addendum to the article that said "we also found . . . ." and if I recall correctly provided as much information as the main article. It just seemed strange how it was presented.

z

p.s. oh yeah, by far the worst bit was Mooney asking the old lady why she wasn't wearing white at the wedding. I mean, c'mon . . . he may as well have asked her how many candidates she had for the father. It was just very "Mooney Goes Wild" and not something for a 'serious' program in my view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree Nicola is the best - just facts.

This is her background:
    http://www.timeline.ie/about_us.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just another thought, why would the professional genealogists give too much information about tracing your own tree when I am sure they would prefer to be commissioned to do it for you. The whole thing has become rather tawdry for my liking.

I see this is on again tonight at 7pm. Is it a repeat or a new series?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Alicat wrote: »
    I see this is on again tonight at 7pm. Is it a repeat or a new series?...

According to the listings it's a repeat. Though they filmed a second series, didn't they? Was it already shown? Could this be a repeat of that or a repeat of the first series?

That's what I was wondering. I don't recall seeing the supposed second series, and my listings didn't mention it as a repeat, so I thought it might be new. Was hoping it would have been improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Did these people contact the show previously ?

• Advertisement

Afaik, it's new and people did contact the show in advance - it's very scripted.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/genealogyroadshow/this_week.html

I actually turned it off earlier thinking it was repeated. Will have to watch on the player.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

that was a repeat - I particularly remember the interview with Henry Mountcharles and the Newbridge railway item... I'm sure have have it recorded somewhere, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

It was a repeat. My wife remembered the part with Turtle Bunbury.

according to the production company (Big Mountain Productions ) website, series 2 has been completed and '...will air in September on RTE1...'

p.s. no sign of any new episodes on Digiguide

Yes it was a repeat. Distinctly remember the Thomas Ashe bit as I know someone related to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

PBS, the public broadcaster in the US, got the US rights for this show and the first episode airs tomorrow night/tonight (Monday 23 Sept) depending on your time zone.

Heard on the grapevine that the second series will be airing next spring!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Mentioned on John Grenham's Irish Roots blog, the New series starts 11 May - see : here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...ably jollied along by the indefatigable Derek Mooney...

Why???

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    Why???

Indefatigable? I’d guess because he’s an airhead, with stupid giggled interjections. I’d use inexorable or at times execrable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Indefatigable?

Not that.
    Why do we need to be jollied along?
    Can a programme not stand on its own merits without the added fluff?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

shanew wrote: »
    Mentioned on John Grenham's Irish Roots blog, the New series starts 11 May - see : here

I like this programme however it is frustrating how little information they give about how they do the research.

Surely the programme would inspire more people to take an interest in their own genealogy if they showed how to do it? This drives me mental.

"So, let's start from here. This is your great great great great Grandfather..."

WTF! How did you even get there? Do you know how long it's taken me to get to that point in my own tree?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Alicat wrote: »
    Surely the programme would inspire more people to take an interest in their own genealogy if they showed how to do it? This drives me mental.

"So, let's start from here. This is your great great great great Grandfather..."

WTF! How did you even get there? Do you know how long it's taken me to get to that point in my own tree?! :(

My guess is that the genealogists want to get us interested enough to employ a genealogist without giving away information that would enable us to do it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Indefatigable? I’d guess because he’s an airhead, with stupid giggled interjections. I’d use inexorable or at times execrable.

Despite my misgivings of the programme, including the presenter and the issues raised in the few posts above, I actually filled in a form and sent it in - to an RTE office in Dundalk in fact. It's less than 200 metres from my door! I had have a mystery to solve in Cavan and figured what the hell, it's worth a shot. Nary a word for 6 months. Some time later I noticed they had a Facebook page and were looking for new applicants. I asked on their FB page about my application and was told it couldn't be found, would I make a new one. I did. I've heard nothing back since.

I'll still watch the new series but it could be so, so much better.

My guess is that the genealogists want to get us interested enough to employ a genealogist without giving away information that would enable us to do it ourselves.

I think it's more likely that the producers opt to skip to the 'interesting' part of the story to keep the attention of general viewers, and for time purposes and that more research than is seen on the final edit goes on in the background, as it does for the various WDYTYA programs, where participants are usually given various certs and copies of documents uncovered during the search.

I 'll certainly give the program a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    Not that.
    Why do we need to be jollied along?
    Can a programme not stand on its own merits without the added fluff?:(

Oh, 'jollied' was the issue. I agree, also with the description of DM as 'the added fluff' if that is what you meant :).

Just a reminder that this starts in an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Will set the series to record now!

• Advertisement

So weird. Turtle Bunbury went to Joyce House to get Maria Ball's great-grandmother's death cert!! I thought this was only filmed a few months ago. I guess Werburgh St doesn't look good enough on camera. But that's really misleading for anyone watching who doesn't know better.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement