Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spotted a Deer in small forestry near my house.

• 13-11-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I recently posted about my interest in getting into Deer shooting in the near future but it looks like I might not have far to travel. I'm relatively new to living in this area but I've passed this small forestry hundreds of times before and I lived only 8 miles away for my whole life. I'd heard rumors before of  Deer being in this little forest but not from any sources I'd trust .I never believed it because by little I'd estimate 120 acres, surrounded by roads on all sides and a road up the middle which I drive almost daily for the last 3 years. Surely if they were there all along there would have been more reports or a collision/near miss with a vehicle? Maybe they have just arrived as you might have heard on the news that there seems to be Deer in the Kanturk/Banteer lately which would be 15 miles away.
    Anyway on my way home this evening at five  I was bursting for piss so stopped at the entrance and sure enough about fifty feet from the gate was a lone  Deer looking straight at me. I cant tell you what exact species but it was a nice size which surprised me as my first thought was "****in hell if that thing ran out in front of  a car". It had no antlers and I'd guess its head height  was five foot and it seemed quite thick/solid. I couldn't make out much more markings, it just looked brown all over. It looked at me for ten seconds before running off.
    I might get a chance to investigate the area at the weekend but without actually seeing it again is there any way to identify the species by prints or droppings etc? Should I inform some organization? What is the likelihood that there are more there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

Google Irish deer species and most likely a sika but height more likely red.
    Kran wrote: »
    I recently posted about my interest in getting into Deer shooting in the near future but it looks like I might not have far to travel. I'm relatively new to living in this area but I've passed this small forestry hundreds of times before and I lived only 8 miles away for my whole life. I'd heard rumors before of  Deer being in this little forest but not from any sources I'd trust .I never believed it because by little I'd estimate 120 acres, surrounded by roads on all sides and a road up the middle which I drive almost daily for the last 3 years. Surely if they were there all along there would have been more reports or a collision/near miss with a vehicle? Maybe they have just arrived as you might have heard on the news that there seems to be Deer in the Kanturk/Banteer lately which would be 15 miles away.
    Anyway on my way home this evening at five  I was bursting for piss so stopped at the entrance and sure enough about fifty feet from the gate was a lone  Deer looking straight at me. I cant tell you what exact species but it was a nice size which surprised me as my first thought was "****in hell if that thing ran out in front of  a car". It had no antlers and I'd guess its head height  was five foot and it seemed quite thick/solid. I couldn't make out much more markings, it just looked brown all over. It looked at me for ten seconds before running off.
    I might get a chance to investigate the area at the weekend but without actually seeing it again is there any way to identify the species by prints or droppings etc? Should I inform some organization? What is the likelihood that there are more there?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

So having discovered this, you plan on killing it?
    Perhaps you might hunt in an area with an overpopulation! You might enjoy 'photo hunting' this one/group.

(retired deer hunter)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nip down to your Co-op store and buy a mineral lick stone.
    Hang that up on a sturdy [ish] junk wood tree, like a Whitethorn or a ash or whatever in the forest, where the salt s can dilute in the rain and start running down the trunk. Hence the reason to use a junk wood tree rather than a standing crop timber tree. Deer need minerals too like cattle and will come from miles around to a salt lick.So if there are more in that area they will scent and come to this area. Give you an idea then if that was just a tourist or that you have new neighbours.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yup just try to get an idea of numbers in the short term. Doing research you'll come across varying figures but populations can be sustained at current levels with a 20% cull so try and use that as a gauge on whether or not to harvest one of those animals.

I am being constantly told there are deer in a plantation below my house but have never seen them myself. Hopefully I get a bit of luck like you and spot them out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Roadtoad wrote: »
    So having discovered this, you plan on killing it?
    Perhaps you might hunt in an area with an overpopulation! You might enjoy 'photo hunting' this one/group.

(retired deer hunter)
    No I’ve no intention in shooting it at all. I wouldn’t have the experience nor do I have a license or big enough caliber. I will indeed try and take a photo of it though and see if there is any more about

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nip down to your Co-op store and buy a mineral lick stone.
    Hang that up on a sturdy [ish] junk wood tree, like a Whitethorn or a ash or whatever in the forest, where the salt s can dilute in the rain and start running down the trunk. Hence the reason to use a junk wood tree rather than a standing crop timber tree. Deer need minerals too like cattle and will come from miles around to a salt lick.So if there are more in that area they will scent and come to this area. Give you an idea then if that was just a tourist or that you have new neighbours.:)
    Now this sounds like a nice project for the weekend. I presume I’ll have to stake the place out at dawn and dusk to actually see them at it or is it more looking to see the amount of prints around this tree? A trail cam I suppose would be the best bet but I’d have to buy one. I do have a night vision setup that I can fit to a loose old scope to have a look around too.
    Edit: I just googled the mineral lick there, is it the type in a bucket I want and just let the top open and drill holes in the bottom or is there a better method?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Now this sounds like a nice project for the weekend. I presume I’ll have to stake the place out at dawn and dusk to actually see them at it or is it more looking to see the amount of prints around this tree? A trail cam I suppose would be the best bet but I’d have to buy one. I do have a night vision setup that I can fit to a loose old scope to have a look around too.
    Edit: I just googled the mineral lick there, is it the type in a bucket I want and just let the top open and drill holes in the bottom or is there a better method?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=rocksalt+cattle&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE814IE814&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqk5KroNTeAhUMESwKHej6AaMQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=SmVUE1xXVo0VrM:

or

https://www.google.ie/search?q=caelsea+block+mineral&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE814IE814&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNgJOGoNTeAhWCkSwKHcc_BXAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=36j8XKvh73dmYM:

the first one is pure salt, you might have to drill the hole yourself but the second one theres a hole in the middle already

An SMS trail cam makes life 100% easier,if you want to go the extra expense. But for a case like this cheaper might be better.Get an idea of who is about by the prints near the lick,but dont expect immediate results,it takes a bit of time for theem to find the lick and take to it,but with Winter comeing ,they will appreciate it.
    The bucket type is usually a paste,designed especially for deer,with Aniseed or Apple cent added to attract them in quicker.You smear it on a tree or lick rather than just having a lump od mineral there for them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

An SMS trail cam makes life 100% easier,if you want to go the extra expense. But for a case like this cheaper might be better.Get an idea of who is about by the prints near the lick,but dont expect immediate results,it takes a bit of time for theem to find the lick and take to it,but with Winter comeing ,they will appreciate it.
    The bucket type is usually a paste,designed especially for deer,with Aniseed or Apple cent added to attract them in quicker.You smear it on a tree or lick rather than just having a lump od mineral there for them.

Red doe or hind, whichever term you prefer, would be my guess from your description.

So just an update. I drove the road again on the way home this evening just 40 mins ago and took my time to look in passing the fireroads. Sure enough there was 3 deer in practically the same spot, just on the other side of the road. Only 20 feet from the road this time but they ran off as soon as I stopped. They have to be new arrivals because surely I’d have seen them before now.
    I’ll have my good camera with me tomorrow evening so might get a pic then and I’ll head out at dawn and dusk the weekend to see if I can snap a pic to post up.
    How do you actually access the numbers in an area though even with a trail cam set up? Couldn’t you just be seeing the same few deer over and over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Any idea who owns the wood?, could be important, before you get yourself into a bit of bother.

Any idea who owns the wood?, could be important, before you get yourself into a bit of bother.
    I don’t to be honest, its been forested as long as I can remember. The land around it would be poor land. Lots of people park up there and walk dogs up there, I’ve done it a few times but it’s a pretty boring place for a walk, longest fire road is maybe 800m and just a dead end.

Ok, I know your not intending to hunt it at the moment, but until you get the permission the deer may as well be on the moon.
    If the wood is out of bounds, so to speak, try and find out who owns the land around it. There's plenty of good deer shooting to be had off the edge of Coilte Woods once you have permission on the adjoining land.
    Rifles and kit can be got inexpensively enough but land permission for deer can be a bugger to get.
    Deer can be transient, roaming widely over the country side and may be seen there this week or even for a night and not seen again until weeks later.
    Certain times of the year can see deer frequent areas only to move on and not be seen until next year. The rut, calving time, nusery areas as well as abundance of feed and hunting pressure or human activity can play a roll in the location of deer.

Ok, I know your not intending to hunt it at the moment, but until you get the permission the deer may as well be on the moon.
    If the wood is out of bounds, so to speak, try and find out who owns the land around it. There's plenty of good deer shooting to be had off the edge of Coilte Woods once you have permission on the adjoining land.
    Rifles and kit can be got inexpensively enough but land permission for deer can be a bugger to get.  
    Deer can be transient, roaming widely over the country side and may be seen there this week or even for a night and not seen again until weeks later.
    Certain times of the year can see deer frequent  areas only to move on and not be seen until next year. The rut, calving time, nusery areas as well as abundance of feed and hunting pressure or human activity can play a roll in the location of deer.
    I honestly have no interest in shooting these deer. I'm a long ways off  from any deer shooting yet and won't be going until I've all the boxes ticked and have gone out with a guide a few times and shown how to do it properly. I'll probably get a deer legal caliber next year as I've joined An Riocht range earlier this year, then do the HCAP for the experience, go out for 1 or 2 guided stalks depending on cost, and I had envisioned paying for a place on a Coilte lease or approaching a farmer back in Kerry because its not too far away. Also I must finish my garage so I have somewhere to put a chest freezer and source a butcher who will do the butchering for me.
    Sorry for the wall of text but just wanted to stress the point that I wont be doing anything stupid. This post came about because I was just genuinely shocked that this wood contains deer and I'm wondering are they just after arriving there out of the blue.

Certain times of the year can see deer frequent  areas only to move on and not be seen until next year. The rut, calving time, nusery areas as well as abundance of feed and hunting pressure or human activity can play a roll in the location of deer.
    I honestly have no interest in shooting these deer. I'm a long ways off  from any deer shooting yet and won't be going until I've all the boxes ticked and have gone out with a guide a few times and shown how to do it properly. I'll probably get a deer legal caliber next year as I've joined An Riocht range earlier this year, then do the HCAP for the experience, go out for 1 or 2 guided stalks depending on cost, and I had envisioned paying for a place on a Coilte lease or approaching a farmer back in Kerry because its not too far away. Also I must finish my garage so I have somewhere to put a chest freezer and source a butcher who will do the butchering for me.
    Sorry for the wall of text but just wanted to stress the point that I wont be doing anything stupid. This post came about because I was just genuinely shocked that this wood contains deer and I'm wondering are they just after arriving there out of the blue.

Don't worry about the butchering. It's fairly straightforward if you have a little bit of experience with smaller game and take your time.

Don't worry about the butchering. It's fairly straightforward if you have a little bit of experience with smaller game and take your time.

As above, there's more than enough You Tube vids out there for both the beginners and experienced alike. Nothing like the satisfaction of tucking into a juicey venison cut that you've harvested and processed yourself.

As for the experince, you'd be better off walking out with a lad who knows his stuff. Your bound to meet up with someone in the club who would oblige. Experince all aspects of it, uphill, downhill,wood, rain, cold, disappointment, blood and guts etc etc.....

I've said it before, and take no offence, but we all know that lad who thought it was just a matter of stepping out of the car and tipping a deer and bobs your uncle your eating backstraps and chips... so before you spend the cash make sure it's what your about. You have a sound plan, but get your hands bloody before you do anything else.

As above, there's more than enough You Tube vids out there for both the beginners and experienced alike. Nothing like the satisfaction of tucking into a juicey venison cut that you've harvested and processed yourself.

As for the experince, you'd be better off walking out with a lad who knows his stuff. Your bound to meet up with someone in the club who would oblige. Experince all aspects of it, uphill, downhill,wood, rain, cold, disappointment, blood and guts etc etc.....

I've said it before, and take no offence, but we all know that lad who thought it was just a matter of stepping out of the car and tipping a deer and bobs your uncle your eating backstraps and chips... so before you spend the cash make sure it's what your about. You have a sound plan, but get your hands bloody before you do anything else.

Lol...you'll never learn as much as from the first one you shoot. You'll be guaranteed a few "balls, why did I even pull the trigger" moments before you'll have it all in the freezer. All good learning though.

One to keep in mind because there's some misunderstanding out there. If you would happen to gut shoot or nick the intestines keep in mind that your carcass is not lost.

A hose with plenty of cold water after getting the intestines out asap is your best friend. Wash out until you can't see a trace of anything that shouldn't be there and you'll be fine.

Lol...you'll never learn as much as from the first one you shoot. You'll be guaranteed a few "balls, why did I even pull the trigger" moments before you'll have it all in the freezer. All good learning though.

One to keep in mind because there's some misunderstanding out there. If you would happen to gut shoot or nick the intestines keep in mind that your carcass is not lost.

A hose with plenty of cold water after getting the intestines out asap is your best friend. Wash out until you can't see a trace of anything that shouldn't be there and you'll be fine.
    It’s things like this that are hard to learn because it not meant to happen and they won’t show you that in a book or YouTube video. Every video I see the deer is always perfectly healthy and knife goes through the skin like butter and the guts practically fall out themselves. It’s just not something I want to make a balls of.

....."balls, why did I even pull the trigger"....

....that's me usually in the first hundred yards into a couple of miles drag out....

Huge tip..... 'Shoot them up hill....... then it's all down hill after that!'

• Advertisement

Or "field butcher" the deer there and then using this method.Alot cleaner IMO and unless you want offal for some reason IE you like liver,and hearts and all that stuff,there is no real reason to have to be messing about with large gut piles anymore.
    And you dont need these knives to do it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhns4hfLEjU

Or "field butcher" the deer there and then using this method.Alot cleaner IMO and unless you want offal for some reason IE you like liver,and hearts and all that stuff,there is no real reason to have to be messing about with large gut piles anymore.
    And you dont need these knives to do it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhns4hfLEjU

I take the liver Grizzly. My uncle who was a craft butcher over in Belgium before he retired handed me a great pate recipe and it's just too good not to make it.....

Advertisement