Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I just go?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

At the end of the day if it doesn't work out you can always go home?

Tbh if I were you I'd give it a shot. Trying to save and have a life in Ireland these days is pretty tough even if you have the support of a partner and 2 incomes... never mind if it's just yourself.

My own story is a little different as I work as a private tutor which is a slightly different dynamic. I work directly for families and wouldn't have the network of a school to depend on. So depending on which country I end up in it can be either really fun or quite bleak. But you can save. In my case the family will pay a wage, accommodation, flights, etc. For short term gigs you can end up living with the family but they tend to have very large houses:)

It's taken me around the world and given me a lot of perspective on not just how the other half live (I wouldn't swap my life for their money) but also how it is to live in other countries, standards of living, etc.

I am currently in Saudi Arabia... and despite the sun this is probably the bleakest place I've ever been but I can stick it for a year or so (if I last;))I don't live on a compound so that doesn't help matters and have only laid eyes on about 3 or 4 westerners since August. But nothing lasts forever and I can stick it out for a year.

You'd probably have more of a life in somewhere like Dubai or Qatar?

My plan is to eventually settle in Spain or Portugal and probably continue to work abroad or repatriate money back to those places as your euro goes twice as far and there's a lot less rain. On the occasions I find myself back in Ireland I tend to get quite down anyway. Most of my friends have moved on (I'm early 40's) and the weather is awful (I would be outdoorsy like yourself).

At the end of the day you only get one shot at this thing called life so the way I look at you may as well cast your fate to the wind and do things that make you content because one day you'll be dead and it won't matter anyway ;-)

Advertisement