Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lord Mayors to close

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Not sure they'll get planning permission for such a large building. But you have to aim high and hopefully meet in the middle.

The planning states there's also plans to divert the stream as well - not sure how well that will sit.

As Inquitus mentioned the traffic is mental along the Dublin road to and from the Pav especially at rush hour. Hopefully these new home owners will be relying on the Metro instead.

I could be wrong but I thought the stone wall and well/pump was protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

The list of Protected Structures is reviewed during the County Development process.

As a far as I am aware, some Holy Wells were not included in the 2017 - 2023 Development Plan. The Old Borough and the Old School House are Protected Structures under the County Development 2017 -2023 and the Lord Mayor's is
    not? I don't understanding the reasoning for that.

I don't like the light grey brick on the Church Road image above and the windows are too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As far as I remember they didn't pay any redundancy to the workers in the Lord Mayors, now they stand to presumably make millions off this development if it gets the go ahead, defo a whiff of foul play about that.

PCros wrote: »
    As Inquitus mentioned the traffic is mental along the Dublin road to and from the Pav especially at rush hour. Hopefully these new home owners will be relying on the Metro instead.

Yep in the fifteen years I have been doing the same commute it has gone from taking 5 mins to up to 30 mins especially in the evenings. When Ryanair clock off at 5:30pm it can take 10-15 mins to get our of Airside business park and onto the pinnock hill roundabout.

All the commuter traffic is coming largely from the East, M1, Malahide Road etc. and has to negotiate across the village to the residential parts largely to the West. There are still only the same handful of routes one can take to Applewood, Millers Glen et all and also to Boraimhe, Rivervalley et al. In the intervening years more and more estates have been built - Applewood / Thornleigh @2004, Millers Glen ongoing and huge in scope for the past 2-3 years and nowhere near being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

The thatch roof is not original, it was added in the 90’s I think, original roof was slate, also the roof was raised at the same time, someone mentioned to me that this is the reason it lost it protected structure status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

Inquitus wrote: »
    As far as I remember they didn't pay any redundancy to the workers in the Lord Mayors, now they stand to presumably make millions off this development if it gets the go ahead, defo a whiff of foul play about that.

This came up in another thread, and I can confirm first hand I saw the cheque paid to one employee.

The one thing that would irk is that the site was "sold" or whatever, and then you check the directors of the company who have submitted the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

dylbert wrote: »
    The thatch roof is not original, it was added in the 90’s I think, original roof was slate, also the roof was raised at the same time, someone mentioned to me that this is the reason it lost it protected structure status.
    It's hard to see how the Old School house remains a protected structure considering the changes there in recent years. I remember going there when it was a restaurant and it still looked like a school house. It's completely unrecognisable now.

I see the planning application for this submitted by "Jacko Investments". Don't think they could be accused of hiding the fact they are local (assuming they are).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

plodder wrote: »
    I see the planning application for this submitted by "Jacko Investments". Don't think they could be accused of hiding the fact they are local (assuming they are).

Yeah I noticed that, you would think it would have to be local alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

It's hard to see how the Old School house remains a protected structure considering the changes there in recent years. I remember going there when it was a restaurant and it still looked like a school house. It's completely unrecognisable now.

As I said above, do a check for the surnames of the directors of the company you mention. There has been no change of ownership of the site.

Best restaurant Swords has ever had imho, and yes the new Pub bears absolutely no resemblance to the original "Old Schoolhouse" the restaurant was based in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Inquitus wrote: »
    Best restaurant Swords has ever had imho, and yes the new Pub bears absolutely no resemblance to the original "Old Schoolhouse" the restaurant was based in.

Very true, I ate there in the early 80s. It was a fabulous restaurant and you really got a sense of it having been a schoolhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

VW 1 wrote: »
    As I said above, do a check for the surnames of the directors of the company you mention. There has been no change of ownership of the site.
    I wasn't doubting you on that point. I was just saying that if they wanted to hide the fact they still owned the site, then they probably wouldn't have given the company a name that only a Swords native would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

VW 1 wrote: »
    This came up in another thread, and I can confirm first hand I saw the cheque paid to one employee.

The one thing that would irk is that the site was "sold" or whatever, and then you check the directors of the company who have submitted the planning application.

You can look up the directors of companies online, and while I'd prefer to not name them, they are the original owners.

AFAIK I think the redundancy situation did get sorted out but couldn't be sure.

As for the development it was submitted into BP as an SDZ - hence the sheer numbers. It went straight to queries, particularly about the water tables, rivers, stream diversions, and fact that Block B is proposing building on a known flood plain, not surprisingly. But the artwork with the development suggests they plan to divert the stream (where?) and build on it.

I know there are chronic issues with noise disturbance from Old Schoolhouse to apartments in the median and chronic illegal parking spilling up the roads. The bridge on Well Rd is in a very poor state, due to effective change of use of the laneway at the Hollow caused by delivery vehicles and car parking. It was only ever supposed to be an access route for properties rearing onto the river.

Other big issue there is the unfinished plan to carry out road improvements from Main St to Brackenstown Rd. That could make any sort of development very difficult given the damage already done by Old Schoolhouse leasee to the fabric of the streets and surrounds. If its any help, a proposal to build a 100 room [!!] hotel at former ESB shop was shot down so unlikely this will get approved in its current form, particularly with the stream diversions proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Very true, I ate there in the early 80s. It was a fabulous restaurant and you really got a sense of it having been a schoolhouse.

Its been leased out to different management for quite some years now.
    The original restaurant was quite a small affair, and regarded as one of the best in Dublin. What is there now is basically a superpub and the development the handiwork of a long term leaseholder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

shoegirl wrote: »
    Its been leased out to different management for quite some years now.
    The original restaurant was quite a small affair, and regarded as one of the best in Dublin. What is there now is basically a superpub and the development the handiwork of a long term leaseholder.

The food was fabulous in the original restaurant.
    The leaseholder bought out the premises a year or two back, then built the Chalk Bar. Afaik they also bought Peter Galvin's hardware. And they own Ruby's.

Advertisement