Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2020 Thread

• 17-10-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

2019/20 fully over and done with so thought best to separate all offseason chat for the next 2 or 3 months (hopefully not longer) into a new thread like previous years.

Going to be interesting when the season will actually get going.

Lot of FA's out there but with uncertainty over the cap it's difficult to see how things will go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I have a feeling if Giannis turns down the supermax with the bucks, he could end up with the warriors. They can offer Wiggins and Green with a few role players like Poole and Pascall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

jk23 wrote: »
    I have a feeling if Giannis turns down the supermax with the bucks, he could end up with the warriors. They can offer Wiggins and Green with a few role players like Poole and Pascall

Unless GSW can make Wiggins into a remotely productive player relative to his contract then they'll have to give up assets for teams to take him opposed to teams giving up anything for him. 30m a year :eek:

There's a reason why the TWolves had to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick to get rid of him. GSW had to do something with Russell with Steph and Klay coming back.

I'd imagine they were a little disappointed in Russell's production after his all star year. Russell ranked around 150th in the league in WS/48, roughly around as valuable as Lonzo.

Wiggins ended up about 10 places lower, to me, its effectively two teams that know they've overpaid but realise that a swap at least fits better.
    Russell is worth more because he's at least flirted with being productive, 17th in OPBM for example but both are laughing on those salaries.

I do hope the Bucks get a sign & trade if Giannis leaves but I hope its somewhat decent.
    Perhaps something built around Porzingis if the Mavs have questions around fit & health. That looks like the highest ceiling deal available

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Obviously it's silly season and everyone is going to be linked with the Lakers but I like the sound of a trade for D-Rose.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Obviously it's silly season and everyone is going to be linked with the Lakers but I like the sound of a trade for D-Rose.

I like it as a move if the goal is to make him the offensive focal point of the 2nd unit but not a huge fan if he's a starter. He's not a good enough shooter to start alongside LeBron & AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Looks like the nba could be back much quicker than anticipated, even as early as Christmas.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, especially without the bubble in place. Can't see them going without any cases unless teams go about creating their own bubbles.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, especially without the bubble in place. Can't see them going without any cases unless teams go about creating their own bubbles.

Perhaps, they'll simply go with no fans and push NBA pass really hard with lots of additional add ons.Teams still play home and away with some stricter protocols.

Alternatively, banning fans at sporting events may be a state legislative decision opposed to something either federal or directed by the NBA.

I'd be very surprised if it was the latter but it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

Mur28 wrote: »
    Perhaps, they'll simply go with no fans and push NBA pass really hard with lots of additional add ons.Teams still play home and away with some stricter protocols.

Alternatively, banning fans at sporting events may be a state legislative decision opposed to something either federal or directed by the NBA.

I'd be very surprised if it was the latter but it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

They’re (nba and owners) more concerned about the 21-22 season than 20-21 and having things back to normal by then, esp from a calendar perspective as they suffered hugely when they went up against football in the latter stages of the play offs.

Yes, decision on attendance will be made at state level, out of nba control.

• Advertisement

Starks might be the best analyst the Ringer has, similar to Zach Lowe with small 5-10 sec highlight vids.

My 2nd fav team down through the years has been the T-Wolves, pretty excited about them for next year and Starks breaks down some reasons why: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/10/22/21528273/minnesota-timberwolves-nba-draft-denver-nuggets

Starks and I agree on "Rosas turned Andrew Wiggins, one of the worst contracts in the NBA" which is great for T-wolves-not so great for GSW.
    It makes up for the terrible LaVine trade with the Bulls.

Also, I'd be in total agreement with him that trading down is a good idea given the weakness of this draft. Perhaps a trade involving a team like NYK-who like LaMelo- could yield someone like Okoro(8th pick), 27th pick and Kevin Knox.

Assuming the season now starts around Xmas, it appears that LBJ is floating the idea of taking the 1st month off.

I suspect Danny Green isn't mentioning it unless it's something LBJ has at least discussed with the team to some extent.

As a fan, if given the choice between players taking an extended block of games off vs periodic 1-2 game breaks mid season, I think I would choose the former.

Obviously nothing to say both won't happen but I like the idea of an extended pre-season especially for this condensed format.

Morey joining Doc at the 76ers and Silas(Mavs) taking over Rockets coaching role.

Morey is brave enough to trade Simmons or Embiid, they'll be interesting to watch this offseason.

Trust the Process 2.0

Watched the Klutch Draft Workout “ad”, because that’s basically what it is. Like it or not, they’re certainly doing things differently.

Not sure if anyone else saw the project LBJ & MJ were involved in the lead up to the US Election.

They -along with others- paid the fines of over 13k people in Florida who ostensibly had their voting rights restored but couldn’t vote due to crippling fines.

Amazing how pernicious some of the repressive voting tactics are in the US.

Obviously, not a long term solution but a great project to be involved to highlight the inequality.

Great to see MJ following the lead of LBJ, Melo etc and throwing his weight behind this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Boston celtics legend Tommy heinsohn has died at age 86. He is a double Naismith basketball hall of fame inductee, as a player and a coach. He was a ten time NBA champion(8 as a part of the celtics dynasty of the 50s and 60’s and 2 as celtics head coach in 1974 and 1976) and was involved in some way with the organisation for all 17 NBA titles. His no 15 is retired by the Celtics He was part of the cbs sports coverage of the NBA finals in the 1980’s along with Dick Stockton and as celtics colour commentator with Mike Gorman for years although he hadn’t been doing as many in recent years. I don’t know how many players from those Celtic’s teams of the 1950s and 60’s are still alive but there aren’t that many although bill Russell is still with us.

Lots of trade chatter esp. re. Chris Paul, Harden, and Westbrook.

Suns trade for Paul to include Rubio and Oubre. I can't quite see the attraction in that from a Suns perspective. Rubio's stats are better than you'd think abut Oubre came on in leaps and bounds last year. Paul's age and his contract are not very appealing, and the history of decline in small guards over 30 isn't great. I know they have to do something to appease Booker, I don't think this is the smartest move though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Suns going all-in on trying to get Booker to stay for a couple more years

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1328400422445461505?s=20

I know CP just had a great season, but at this stage he's equally likely to spend 40 games out injured as anything else.

Buckle up, going to be a crazy few hours/days.

Think that Paul trade is ridiculous for the Suns.

• Advertisement

Think that Paul trade is ridiculous for the Suns.

Ridiculous good, or ridiculous bad?

I think it’s crazy myself. They’re giving up too much for an aging player. Paul will be 36 next year from memory.

OKC now have 17 first round picks between now and 2026.

Sorry, ridiculously bad. As you said, way you much to give up for him.

It's a desperate plea to make the 8th seed this year to show Booker they're somewhat serious about competing. Even in the best case scenario it's a first round exit for one year and then CP3's legs are definitely gone anyway and they're right back to where they are now but with fewer assets.

Milwaukee have been busy.

Great signing in Bogdanovic, I'm really high on him and think he's seriously under-rated.

To get him and Holiday is a serious upgrade.

Houston basically confirm that Harden is out by trading Robert Covington to Portland for Trevor Ariza and picks.

Huge get for Portland, RoCo would be a good player on any team but Portland have been so desperate for a wing who can actually defend and RoCo has been one of the best over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Milwaukee have been busy.

Great signing in Bogdanovic, I'm really high on him and think he's seriously under-rated.

To get him and Holiday is a serious upgrade.

Yea, when I first saw that I was like damn, they are making a big push for next year and they totally had to.
    I really like Bogdanovic also, he should be a good fit.
    Holiday is also an upgrade and should definitely help out Giannis

To play devils advocate, I’ve listened to a few podcasts and I’ve read a few articles, my first thought like others was, wow, they gave up a lot of trade assets and picks for these players.
    They will now have to fill the roster with not a whole lot of cap space.
    One of the articles really broke down the deals and to be honest, my head was spinning with all the various caveats to the deals but the Bucks really have made a big push to win down and keep Giannis
    Also, Holiday is good and definitely an upgrade but his numbers have also been dropping as he enters the later stage of his career
    What if Giannis decides to go now anyway, then they are really really screwed ??

A lot of ifs and buts..... I do like the attitude to win now but also at the end of the day, Giannis needs to step up in the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Draft is tonight, anyone have strong opinions on anyone? I like Edwards as a project but he has a lot to prove and that interview snippet that came out earlier today is absolutely bizarre, even if he's trying to not get drafted by the Timberwolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a desperate plea to make the 8th seed this year to show Booker they're somewhat serious about competing. Even in the best case scenario it's a first round exit for one year and then CP3's legs are definitely gone anyway and they're right back to where they are now but with fewer assets.

Well the playoffs this year certainly demonstrated you can win a round or two as underdogs. Rock and a hard place when you have a player like Booker tbh. You can't tank because he creates too many wins. It's hard to build a championship contender around him at the same time in that market. This is probably their best option. Try and be a winning team - you may get every bounce and win 50 games with that combo. Let him rock out in the playoffs.

I think the modern NBA conversation is way too harsh on teams who try and put their best five out there and win games tbh just because they can't win a Championship.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I think the modern NBA conversation is way too harsh on teams who try and put their best five out there and win games tbh just because they can't win a Championship.

I'm with you there, I mean sure I'm a Portland fan, we've been doing that for years, I just don't think this move is good for Phoenix, Rubio and Oubre are two really good players and trading them out for maybe one good year of Chris Paul isn't clever.

Advertisement