Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moodley Meats

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SueA

Just ordered a box of Vital Wheat gluten to collect on Saturday. Will make my own seitan - wheat meat. €20 for a whole box that will make enough seitan to last me for around 6 - 8 months. Don't eat it everyday but make up my own bacon, burgers, mince, cubes, sausages and keep them in the freezer until needed. Takes a few minutes to make it but once done it's fast, cheap and good food with all the flavour that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

SueA wrote: »
    Just ordered a box of Vital Wheat gluten to collect on Saturday. Will make my own seitan - wheat meat. €20 for a whole box that will make enough seitan to last me for around 6 - 8 months. Don't eat it everyday but make up my own bacon, burgers, mince, cubes, sausages and keep them in the freezer until needed. Takes a few minutes to make it but once done it's fast, cheap and good food with all the flavour that I like.

Where do you get the gluten? How much do you get for €20?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can get it on amazon or from here up to 25kg bags, here is the 5kg bag for £21, out of stock atm.
    https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/gluten-5kg.html

Where do you get the gluten? How much do you get for €20?

I get the Suma brand of Vital Wheat gluten, 6 x 500g and have an order with M Cosgrove & Son, Sligo, https://www.facebook.com/Cosgrovesdelicatessen, who get me it by the box.

Great shop, great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Thanks guys, I have bought from iherb and similar before, will try to buy in bulk, as the last bag I bought in Down to Earth was over a tenner for 500g - I love the range of products they have in that shop, but it's incredibly expensive!

And back on topic, hope to pick up some more Moodley burgers this weekend!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I have bought from iherb and similar before, will try to buy in bulk, as the last bag I bought in Down to Earth was over a tenner for 500g - I love the range of products they have in that shop, but it's incredibly expensive!

And back on topic, hope to pick up some more Moodley burgers this weekend!

You're welcome. Most shops will buy in bulk for you if you ask and, give a discount on retail prices which saves delivery costs from online purchases.

I just checked Down to Earth €12.70 for 500g, a lot of their prices are a lot more than I would be paying for similar products here. Don't forget to check out the Indian, Asian stores who do really fresh food, herbs and spices at a reasonable price.

We don't have Moodley here - maybe they should contact Cosgroves, Tua Nua, Pat Brophy in Boyle Co Roscommon, there's a good shop in Carrick on Shannon too , just can't remember the name of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I went into Down to Earth last Friday and there were none to be seem. Ended up with the usual vbites rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Yeah I was in last week and they had the last few boxes of the ones they had gotten in reduced cause they were on their use by date and it doesn't seem they've bought anymore in yet anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're back in stock in Down to Earth, popped in last night before going to Yamamori.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Moodleys are doing a Christmas roast for €23.99 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

Wow, would definitely be interested in trying the roast. Is it stocked in any shops or is it online order only?

Afaik it's just online. But i'd say if you contacted Moodleys they'd probably ship it out to one of their stockists close to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I very excitedly picked up a pack of burgers and sausages a few weeks ago when I saw them in Supervalu...but wasn't impressed, to be honest. The burgers were a good texture but rather tasteless, and the sausages I only had one bite of and didn't like at all. They had a weird flavour I just immediately disliked.

I will try the rashers though, and there's a Cafe near me that serves the range for Veggies so I'll prob try the range there again, just to see if maybe it was how I prepared the food that made them odd. Maybe I did it wrong? BF reckoned the sausages tasted uncooked, but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

I very excitedly picked up a pack of burgers and sausages a few weeks ago when I saw them in Supervalu...but wasn't impressed, to be honest. The burgers were a good texture but rather tasteless, and the sausages I only had one bite of and didn't like at all. They had a weird flavour I just immediately disliked.

I will try the rashers though, and there's a Cafe near me that serves the range for Veggies so I'll prob try the range there again, just to see if maybe it was how I prepared the food that made them odd. Maybe I did it wrong? BF reckoned the sausages tasted uncooked, but I dunno.

I found the same when I started buying Dee's vegan sausages, took a while to learn to cook them right. (Pan fried, coconut oil)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I finally got a pack of the Moodley sausages yesterday and I have to say, like the burgers and rashers, there's an aftertaste I just don't like. Consistency is ok, I accept there's limitations there but across the Moodley range there is a finish in the flavour which is really awful... I have to stress that I'm not a fussy eater at all, almost anything meat-free is good but I won't be buying these again for a while.
    for reference I do like Dees Vegan sausages and often order good ol' Sosmix in bulk from the UK.
    Please guys, as I'm pretty much your target market take this as feedback not criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinseldreamz

Wouldn't really know. They only seem to sell them in Dublin, Cork etc. None to be found here in the West. I've asked them countless times about it and they've never given me an answer as to whether they'd be distributing them in the West.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I finally got a pack of the Moodley sausages yesterday and I have to say, like the burgers and rashers, there's an aftertaste I just don't like. Consistency is ok, I accept there's limitations there but across the Moodley range there is a finish in the flavour which is really awful... I have to stress that I'm not a fussy eater at all, almost anything meat-free is good but I won't be buying these again for a while.
    for reference I do like Dees Vegan sausages and often order good ol' Sosmix in bulk from the UK.
    Please guys, as I'm pretty much your target market take this as feedback not criticism.

Where do you get the sosmix from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Awesome thanks, good site. See a 10kh bag too :D

Ì rang Nourish`in Wicklow St the other week and asked if they had the Moodley bacon in stock. They told me they dont stock it anymore. I got mine from Down to Earth instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I saw some of the moodley stuff in Supervalu Lucan yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

A lot of supervalues have them. Mainly in the local suppliers fridge near the front of the shops...

Anyone know why Moodleys have increased their prices so drastically? My sausages were once €3.99 now they are €5.99, everything in their store has gone way up. Am I missing something, have the package size increased?

No idea, they haven't changed as far as I know, kinda put them in the far too expensive range for me!

I bought some in Down to Earth last Friday. Dont think the price had changed?

I had noticed that too, it seemed like they are cheaper in the shops than on their site. I guess for them it's quite important that people buy them in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Pigsback Eatery on Capel St now have them on their delivery menu. Hadn't heard of these till last week, hooked!

Anyone know what happened to this place? Their website is gone.

They shut down, heard some rumours why but nothing concrete. Pity, they were doing great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

They shut down, heard some rumours why but nothing concrete. Pity, they were doing great.

That's a pity. I was planning on getting some of their stuff - Bacon, Burgers, Chick-Hun, Deli Salami Slices, Roast.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement