Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

• 09-10-2011 4:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome to the new chat thread! The previous installment can be found here.
    I will copy in some posts from the last thread now to help continue on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick question about Quorn without startign a new thread.

Buying some quorn products, can people recomend which one taste like the meat version.
    I've had mince, and I can be deguised in a strong sauce.
    Sausages were different but still nice.

Don't want to buy packets of stuff if it ends up tasting like cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Mellor wrote: »
    Quick question about Quorn without startign a new thread.

Buying some quorn products, can people recomend which one taste like the meat version.
    I've had mince, and I can be deguised in a strong sauce.
    Sausages were different but still nice.

Don't want to buy packets of stuff if it ends up tasting like cardboard.

I think any of the chicken style ones are your best best. The closest things I had that others wouldnt be able to tell would be the quorn dippers and the quorn bites. Any of the chicken style pieces, fillets etc would be good also. The steak pieces will taste nothing like steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, I figured they'e be the best.
    Actually chicken dippers from the likes of birdseye aren't exactly real food either.

I think i'll be a quorn and mushroom bake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3 quorn priducts for 6e in tesco atm if you want to try some out.

also the quorn roasts are down from 6e to 1.94...i bought 4.

A new linda mccartney range is being introduced at low prices too. cheddar burger things look great.

6 sausage rolls for 1.24 in tesco too, and they are better than real sausage rolls imo.

Actually I had the quorn family roast thing for the fist time yesterday and thought it had kind of a pork type taste off it, maybe I'm alone on that, they'e also under 2euros in tesco at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh you got one too <_<

in other news

ye even had to defrost the freezer to fit the amount of quorn stuff in :P

now on to more pressing matters..........

Josie often jumps up on your shoulder so you can walk around with her up there, but now she has taken it to new extremes, she just gets up there and lets her legs hang so you can stand up straight walking around with her :D

my dad was going around all morning like this...

b9HxW.jpg

LMAO at that pic, brilliant. josie so cute there. I likes your dads scarf, he a crazy cat lady.

does she do it for you ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Lol that cat pic is awesome! Josie is showing her smarts :)

And that vid....what were they thinking?? :pac:

Popping by to say hello, and here's a pic:

1318728895143.png

Funny because its true :p

LMAO at that pic, brilliant. josie so cute there. I likes your dads scarf, he a crazy cat lady.

does she do it for you ?

that's not important >_>

my back is too small anyways <_<
    Lol that cat pic is awesome! Josie is showing her smarts :)

And that vid....what were they thinking?? :pac:

Popping by to say hello, and here's a pic:

1318728895143.png

Funny because its true :p

I am well acquainted with that pic :D
    and hello to yourself!

• Advertisement

I founds me a film to watch

hoole2010wsr1front800x6.jpg

they brought us happy feet :D

alone

you found you a film to watch alone

:pac:

Btw Mellor, I had one of those quorn roasts over the weekend, all my family tasted it and said they could not tell that they weren't eating meat and that it kinda tasted like turkey, so that might be one to try.

don't make me moonblink you :mad:

That one really is one of the more meaty ones, no that i think that it tastes like any meat in particular. Mmm. I probably shouldn't offer special deals in ireland to somebody in australia!

Hi new thread! /hugs

why is there posts from the old one then, I dun gedit, esp the one saying you're closing the thread?!

whoops didn't mean to copy that one heh. /deletes
    We were just told to close the threads with over 10k posts and copy a few of the last posts into a new thread, just to keep the thread going.
    The big ones cause massive performance issues.

few hours of java videos there, not quite the cinema experience, might try em in 3d next time :p
    haz some sausage rolls and sweet chilli sauce now, heaven!

just saw this again and lolled

My thread....my beautiful thread! Gone! :(

:pac:

Explain this "moonblinking" thing :D

Ye well i made you make it so there :P
    was considering copying in your post but then it went before my post explaining the thread!

It's from that film up there, I didnt actually watch the film but there was a joke about it in 30 rock, where it had been playing as an inflight movie for months, so the pilot was saying all the lines to himself. If you dont watch 30 rock you should, best comedy ive ever seen

ye i know why they only have to be 10k...

but now we all have repeated posts in our 'back catalogue', tis silly.

/looks at laptop

5degrees burrrrrr

ye i suppose that wasnt really needed hope you have a nice warm coat so :p

this thing is great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

meow

/spam

Guess what? If you can't come up with food suggestions, even the Ritz hotel will serve mushroom risotto at some stage in the meal. Uber delicious anyway (oh God I need to kidnap their chef!) but yeah... It was a three course meal plus dessert, wedding cake (best one I've ever had tbh. I tend to dislike wedding cakes but this one was amazing), coffee and chocolates at the end. I had more food than most other people because a lot of them didn't like duck liver or very rare (read: pretty much raw) meat, and they were too embarrassed to send it back for a little more cooking. My sis was kind enough to ask them to make more of the veggie dishes so that her very picky friends could have them if they didn't like the main food. :)

But I sleepily digress...
    The point is: Risotto. Mushroom. Seriously.

meow

/spam

Guess what? If you can't come up with food suggestions, even the Ritz hotel will serve mushroom risotto at some stage in the meal. Uber delicious anyway (oh God I need to kidnap their chef!) but yeah... It was a three course meal plus dessert, wedding cake (best one I've ever had tbh. I tend to dislike wedding cakes but this one was amazing), coffee and chocolates at the end. I had more food than most other people because a lot of them didn't like duck liver or very rare (read: pretty much raw) meat, and they were too embarrassed to send it back for a little more cooking. My sis was kind enough to ask them to make more of the veggie dishes so that her very picky friends could have them if they didn't like the main food. :)

But I sleepily digress...
    The point is: Risotto. Mushroom. Seriously.

I was beginning to wonder if anothernight would make it into this installment of the grapevine!
    You haven't gotten married have you :eek: :P

If you like mushroom risotto, marks and spencers had an amazing deal recently, main, side, dessert, bottle of wine for €12. The mushroom risotto was pretty much the only veggie main option but it was bloody amazing. Got vegetable gratin for a side. Actually the dessert we got ended up not being veggie :O so check that but they had plenty to choose from. Tesco have a deal similar to this but the M&S one was far better.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I was beginning to wonder if anothernight would make it into this installment of the grapevine!
    You haven't gotten married have you :eek: :P

If you like mushroom risotto, marks and spencers had an amazing deal recently, main, side, dessert, bottle of wine for €12. The mushroom risotto was pretty much the only veggie main option but it was bloody amazing. Got vegetable gratin for a side. Actually the dessert we got ended up not being veggie :O so check that but they had plenty to choose from. Tesco have a deal similar to this but the M&S one was far better.

Married? No! I wish... >_>

I haven't actually posted on any online forums in like a million years. Not sure why. I was wondering there for a second if someone broke the thread, and then I found out that Tar just broke it off on purpose. Same thing really. :p

M&S food... mmm. What was the dessert?

The thread was broked >_> :(

And here's me, old poster of like 70 yrs old...ancient!! Still going on, posting away and meeting folks.

I may be tired, that may be some sort of "in-joke", I'm tired...eating delicious cake I baked is too much, goodnight :)

Married? No! I wish... >_>

I haven't actually posted on any online forums in like a million years. Not sure why. I was wondering there for a second if someone broke the thread, and then I found out that Tar just broke it off on purpose. Same thing really. :p

M&S food... mmm. What was the dessert?

It was raspberry panna cotta, it tasted lovely to me at first, then I was trying to remember what the taste reminded me of and when I realised it tasted like custard it's like I wasn't tasting the same thing again.

The thread was broked >_> :(

And here's me, old poster of like 70 yrs old...ancient!! Still going on, posting away and meeting folks.

I may be tired, that may be some sort of "in-joke", I'm tired...eating delicious cake I baked is too much, goodnight :)

you baked? well that was a well kept secret! Btw sorry I didnt get back to you other day, I was awol! But I'm doing grand, busy, looking forward to halloween though and finally finding out what the hell you made :p

Oh...yes...I did >_>

Lemon drizzle cake, delicious :cool: Twice now, been told both times it was very good :D

You went off the face of the Earth lol, but you was busy :)

Saturday night will be fun! You gonna costume it up too?

Oh...yes...I did >_>

Lemon drizzle cake, delicious :cool: Twice now, been told both times it was very good :D

You went off the face of the Earth lol, but you was busy :)

Saturday night will be fun! You gonna costume it up too?

lemon cake I quite like! Don't suppose any of you baking lot know where to get peppermint essence, I'm trying to make something with it. It seems impossible to get at this stage.

I will but it will be somewhat lame but halloween themed nonetheless.

lemon cake I quite like! Don't suppose any of you baking lot know where to get peppermint essence, I'm trying to make something with it. It seems impossible to get at this stage.

It's true, his lemon cake was delicious. I'm waiting on more cake. :p

Peppermint essence is usually stocked in Superquinn or Tesco. Maybe they've been having problems with delivery or something. If you were particularly desperate and had all the time in the world, you could soak chopped (or pestle&mortar, better) peppermint leaves in vodka or any neutral-tasting alcohol for ages and actually make your own extract. Might be easier to just use the actual leaves for flavouring in the recipe though.

Lemon cakes are so nice! :D Peppermint eh? Have you tried asking any companies like Goodall's, who are suppliers of baking ingredients/goods?

Good that you'll put in effort though, I like that :)

Peppermint essence is usually stocked in Superquinn or Tesco. Maybe they've been having problems with delivery or something. If you were particularly desperate and had all the time in the world, you could soak chopped (or pestle&mortar, better) peppermint leaves in vodka or any neutral-tasting alcohol for ages and actually make your own extract. Might be easier to just use the actual leaves for flavouring in the recipe though.
    Thank you :) There will be more in future, dont worry ;)

Its great that the rain is all gone:cool: I should be doing some study but I'm not...can catch up though. Only in for two days next week which is nice, lots more time at home!

*I gotta admit, I like how comfy my bed is, even though it's half the size of the one here :p*

• Advertisement

Lemon cakes are so nice! :D Peppermint eh? Have you tried asking any companies like Goodall's, who are suppliers of baking ingredients/goods?

Good that you'll put in effort though, I like that :)

Thank you :) There will be more in future, dont worry ;)

Some amazing person on boards bought some for me and is gona post it :D wow I feel like Tar :P
    Its great that the rain is all gone:cool: I should be doing some study but I'm not...can catch up though. Only in for two days next week which is nice, lots more time at home!

*I gotta admit, I like how comfy my bed is, even though it's half the size of the one here :p*

I got destroyed in that rain, hairdrying my notes for days after :/

Advertisement