Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kraftwerk

• 06-01-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

from the guardian

Original Kraftwerk member quits
    After 40 years of service in the field of icy electronic music, Florian Schneider leaves the band

Kraftwerk's co-founder Florian Schneider has hung up his robo-boots after 40 years of service.

Schneider's departure means that Ralf Hütter is now the only remaining original Kraftwerk member. The band are expected to carry on, with a South American tour supporting Radiohead still scheduled to go ahead in March.

Schneider is credited with helping take electronic music into the mainstream, a fact David Bowie recognised when he recorded the largely instrumental song V2 Schneider, which featured on his Heroes album, after him.

Although Kraftwerk's last album featuring new material was 2003's Tour de France Soundtracks, their influence on pop remains as strong as ever, with a new generation of fans emerging such as synth-boffin Little Boots and electro-whizzkid Metronomy.

The band announced the news of Schneider's departure via their website. He is now expected to turn his attention to solo projects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

:eek:

<3 Kraftwerk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Jaysus have they really been together 40 years :eek: that's amazing, wish him all the best in his solo projects anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That's a bit of a shame.

They played in Wicklow recently and I would have gone to see them apart from the huge ticket price, and I regret not going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Sean_K wrote: »
    That's a bit of a shame.

They played in Wicklow recently and I would have gone to see them apart from the huge ticket price, and I regret not going now.

That gig was moved to Killmainham as Lugalla estate was flooded. Would have been amazing.

Thanks for the memories Florian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I wonder if he's selling his tron suit??:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sad and yet Kraftwerk are so "annonymouse" that they will be able to carry on as a touring act for ever.

As ever, the chance for a vid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I think Hutter is the main guy anyways.

wonder if schneider will write a book like the other guy and get sued by hutter for revealing the 'human side of the band'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm fairly sure he left a while ago and it's only just been confirmed now. He wasn't at the show in Kilmainham (which was amazing).

Shame, best of luck to him though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 kronox20022002

R.I.P Florian. Nothing will be the same.

Advertisement