Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom Announces fibre roll out

• 26-07-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was looking around on a website linked to by Sponge Bob this evening, (www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie) where there was a section dealing with Next Generation Access. Looking through some of the downloads, I noticed that eircom are in the process of deploying a GPON network around Wexford town and Sandyford (Co. Dublin) and this will be launched by the end of September according to this document: http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/downloads/filg_meeting_9/programme_review_filg9.pdf

Any word in the area on linesmen in the field working on this fibre network?

This trial has been mentioned before but there were little updates since. A Wexford Echo article has some additional information on the network build there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

eircom Announces Over €100M Investment in Phase 1 of Planned Fibre Rollout
    Television to Launch in 2012

eircom Group today announced Phase 1 of a plan to significantly upgrade Ireland’s telecommunications infrastructure by rolling out fibre based access technologies delivering superfast broadband to customers. Separately, the company also announced it will launch television services next year.

The company intends to serve 100,000 premises by summer 2012 in Phase 1 of a planned multi-year rollout that envisages fibre based services to one million homes and businesses in Ireland. This will involve an initial investment of over €100 million, upgrading the existing copper access network with fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the home (FTTH) technologies.

These developments build on the company’s plans to restructure its debt and its recent Wholesale Reform announcement. The upgrade will provide Ireland with a range of faster broadband speeds and a platform to allow wholesale customers and ICT providers to introduce exciting new services and applications via the eircom network. Specific speeds will vary according to the technology used. FTTC will support speeds of up to 40Mbps and beyond, while FTTH supports speeds of up to 150Mbps.

eircom to Launch IPTV Services from Mid 2012

Separately, eircom intends to launch a range of entertainment services over fibre including television via a customer’s broadband connection (IPTV), video on demand, catch up TV and social media via TV.

These new services will complement our existing value added services such as eircom MusicHub, to offer customers a complete range of content to the device of their choice in their home.

Commenting on the announcement, Paul Donovan, CEO eircom Group, said “Our investment of over €100 million underlines the company’s commitment to be the nation’s network provider of choice and to support economic growth in Ireland.

“The introduction of television and entertainment services is extremely exciting and underlines how far the company has progressed during the past two years. We are determined to offer quality products and services that are relevant and offer real value to our customers. Today is the next step in that journey. This is good news for the industry, good news for our employees and good news for Ireland.”

Good news indeed for Ireland - copied from eircom.ie web site - 28/7/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

So Eircom are going to put 100 million Euro into a new project that's available from UPC already....

Unless they target areas that UPC don't already cover they are destined for failure.....

I cant see anybody changing from UPC fiber to Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Laney Plump Clothes

Do we not get a similar press release from Eircom every year?

I would hope Eircom are serious about a FTTC/FTTH roll out, however I really don't see this happening - especially in their current financial situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Kev. wrote: »
    So Eircom are going to put 100 million Euro into a new project that's available from UPC already....

Unless they target areas that UPC don't already cover they are destined for failure.....

I cant see anybody changing from UPC fiber to Eircom

UPC's network is not fibre optic at the customer level, it's co-axial cable.
    If Eircom intend running fibre to the home then it could seriously give UPC a run for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would hope Eircom are serious about a FTTC/FTTH roll out, however I really don't see this happening - especially in their current financial situation.
    They announced a generation 1 ADSL rollout to 300 exchanges nationwide in March 2007...to be finished by summer 2009. That very limited rollout is not finished in summer 2011 so I really cannot see them managing 300+ cabinets in only a year. Be nice if they could finish what they started first.

UPC must be about to announce something I suspect. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Heh , I imagine eircom will charge customers through the roof for this
    You'll be paying "Fibre Rental" too

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

we are way behind the rest of europe, this is long overdue, im in drogheda, no sign of fibre power here, were not that far from dublin, wots goin on upc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

It will be good news for the likes of me "out in the sticks of Arklow" if eircom extend the service outside of the main cities.

UPC don't provide broadband so we're stuck with crappy dsl

Word is phase 1 is central Dublin ( D1 and D2 and D3) because UPC coverage in there is very patchy right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Word is phase 1 is central Dublin ( D1 and D2 and D3) because UPC coverage in there is very patchy right now.

I hope so, because UPC is very bad in my area (dublin 3). There were so many problems with the Digital tv that we had to switch to sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

How much can be done with €100m though? It's not actually that much to earmark for such an investment. I get the feeling this is more of a PR stunt than a genuine attempt to upgrade the network. I'd imagine you'd be taking billions, not millions, if you were to make any real improvement to the current network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It will be good news for the likes of me "out in the sticks of Arklow" if eircom extend the service outside of the main cities.

Anyone "out in the sticks" should not get their hopes up over this. Fibre will not extend beyond the main cities and larger towns, probably ever, but certainly not in the next 10 years.

I suspect this announcement to be little more than a PR stunt. They announced trials of ADSL2+ about 6 or 7 years ago (to compete against Smart and Magnet's then superior offering), but never got beyond the trial with it. As SB said, the last planned roll out (to the remaining non-DSL enabled exchanges) was simply dropped, and that was after the programme ran twice as long as it was meant to and only did half what was promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How can eircom afford this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jor el wrote: »
    Anyone "out in the sticks" should not get their hopes up over this. Fibre will not extend beyond the main cities and larger towns, probably ever, but certainly not in the next 10 years.

I suspect this announcement to be little more than a PR stunt. They announced trials of ADSL2+ about 6 or 7 years ago (to compete against Smart and Magnet's then superior offering), but never got beyond the trial with it. As SB said, the last planned roll out (to the remaining non-DSL enabled exchanges) was simply dropped, and that was after the programme ran twice as long as it was meant to and only did half what was promised.

lets hope enda has a word and gets his hometown of castlebar on this. the exchange is creaking at the seems in castlebarbadly needs fibre to attract some jobs to it.

claremorris has got a fibre link to it done via the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd really love to know what's happening in Wexford as the main exchange there also covers some of the rural hinterland towards Forth Mountain. The information on the eircom wholesale sites suggests they're only using FTTH in Wexford while the likes of Dundrum, Dublin 14/16 is FTTC so far.

I don't know how eircom can afford any of this while they are in breach of debt covenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

'Eircom announce that this time, no honestly, that this really is the next generation, we promise, honestly...ad infinitum'

Anyone who believes that any of their PR 'announcements' will make any difference to anything must be seriously naive.

Luckily Eammon Gilmore wasn't sucked in...yawn

I'm just looking forward to the pricing.

Sorry to be so cynical but Eircom are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The fibre rollout in Sandyford and Wexford is happening as we speak though. See the www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well it's positive news if it actually happens. To me the obvious targets for Eircom should be the large towns and areas of cities that UPC haven't targeted. UPC's own rollout seems to have stagnated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dublin areas again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

1 million households and businesses. Could they not just say "Dublin" then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

i would take it so, as no mention of enabling the rest of the rural exchanges. What a bunch of ****!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

p.oconnor wrote: »
    i would take it so, as no mention of enabling the rest of the rural exchanges. What a bunch of ****!:mad:

They are a business. It would not be economically viable to run fibre to every barn yard in the country.

Do you want to pay for the install of the equipment and the length of fibre, labor etc?

They are a business. It would not be economically viable to run fibre to every barn yard in the country.

Do you want to pay for the install of the equipment and the length of fibre, labor etc?

Are you trying to tell me so that in 2011 just because you don't live in built up area, where communities have paid a fortune to Eircom since the exchanges were first built that all we deserve is dial up broadband and patchy 3g mobile broadband.

People sitting behind there desks in D8 making these decisions must not even realise there is a world outside the M50, they are pathetic.

BTW we don't necessarily want fibre, all we want is what the rest of the country was beginning to get in 2002

Being fair, no one should expect a commercial company to try and connect up scattered housing (planners take note). However, let's face it, 'Next Generation Broadband' was nothing of the sort and fibre actually is a massive improvement on the sorry network that Eircom inherited/left to rot. The point is, that they will finally try and match what is going on all over other countries with a minuscule 'trial' (?) and then when they are finally happy with that they might expand it to a small geographical area. Eamon Gilmore should look a bit more closely at their 'plans' before he proudly states that it shows how Ireland is 'innovating' itself out of the current mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Seen a couple of eircom vans out and about this morning down in holes fiddling about and working on the roads, Don't know if this is related but thought i'd put it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Eircom have been raping this country for too long with its line rental charges. Even if they do bring this in, they'll continue to charge line rental. The only one making any attempt to dethrone them is UPC and their coverage is lacking to say the least.
    In terms of this next next gen broadband, I'll believe it when i see it and even if i do see it, i suspect it's going to be a rip off like their current services.

ashleey wrote: »
    Being fair, no one should expect a commercial company to try and connect up scattered housing (planners take note).

You see the thing is its not scattered housing its a village with approx 500 people with 4 housing estates, granted alot of finished empty houses but they will someday be sold, not to mention the hundreds within a 3 mile radius, surely it cant cost Eircom or another operator that much?

eircoms EXISTING fibre network is extensive and half of all exchanges already have fibre. Generally 1gbit minimum. From here ( tick box on right to see detail)

efn.jpg

We live in a bigger satellite town than you and I doubt Eircom will be updating anything here in our lifetime, so I completely understand your point. It's a circular argument that Eircom won't invest until the numbers make sense and the numbers interested in Eircom won't rise while they are a debt laden shell with an antiquated network. It still goes back to the planners etc who could have forced all new developments to be connected up to modern networks (including electricity, water etc.) but they didn't and there won't be much change any time soon.

Our town is actually one of those NR sites in Kilkenny but I haven't noticed any NGN broadband here.

On the NGN site there is a spur to our town which is a Node Reach site, so I guess we can get NG broadband? Then if you go into their retail site our line is capable of 3mb max. I subscribe already to that speed via an alternative provider and Speedtest.net shows we get about 2.25mb and always has done with periodic checks. So I'm confused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell me so that in 2011 just because you don't live in built up area, where communities have paid a fortune to Eircom since the exchanges were first built that all we deserve is dial up broadband and patchy 3g mobile broadband.

Yes exactly. You paid for a service. You look enviously upon towns. Move to one and get proper broadband or continue to enjoy clean air.

Advertisement