Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage Size

• 27-01-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

Strange query maybe, but I am looking at building a garage but am wondering what the minimum width I could have to be able to work on a car. I am not looking for acres of room each side, just enough to work on wheels etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. I am restricted in width due to the shape of our garden

Thanks in advance .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭apkb

The (theoretical) minimum width is just wide enough to fit the car into the garage. Anything after that is a luxury, just give a guess how much luxury you need.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

picture a carparking space (circa 2.5 x 5m) and then imagine walking around it with enough space to work or push the lawnmower/kids bike past.. also think about a stepped ramp or pit for ease of working under and what floor covering finish to ensure all oil can be caught and disposed off correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 40 vwlt

Thanks for the replies, I will look tonight and see what width I have. It will depend on whether I replace my boundary wall with the wall of the garage or not, not sure how the planners would view that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 vwlt

Had a look and have 2.9 at one end and 3.5 at the other so it would seem to be plenty....

Anyone had experience with a steel clad structure attached garage in suburban area. Would use decent insulated panels but just wondering what the planners would think. Trying to maximise the internal dimensions ...,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

vwlt wrote: »
    Would use decent insulated panels but just wondering what the planners would think. Trying to maximise the internal dimensions ...,
    ask your architect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi vwlt
    open car doors measure width and add one more width of car door. That will give you ample working room and also be able to get out of car with ease.
    NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

think of kids bikes, lawnmower, recycling bins, garden tools, bbq, coal bags, etc etc as well

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a client a few years ago who wanted a plan of a garage but didn't want any "wasted space". Apart from the car the only other thing to be included was a work bench along the rear wall.

His instructions were that he wanted enough space left that he could walk right around the car with its doors fully opened and also walking space between car and bench and at the other end between car and roller door.

He was very exact in what he needed so what he did was park his car in the garden, open the doors and got 4 posts and a roll of twine and manoeuvred the posts/twine around until he got it to his satisfaction. The final size was 7.00m long x 4.50m wide.

That might give you an idea or two :)

Advertisement