Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Habitable Attic Space?

Options
  • 02-02-2019 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

We viewed a house recently that has an attic room, permanent staircase and an en-suite.

There are all the appropriate certs for building regs but it is a non-habitable space owing to the fire regs and head space.

The thing is the agent has included it as part of the overall floor space for the whole property, but as it’s effectively storage I don’t think think this is correct. The house is pricier than similar properties because of this.

Any thoughts whether this can be questioned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

How much more than others in the area without the converted attic? We are looking at the cost of an attic conversion and they are not cheap even without an en-suite. Plus you will not have any of the disruption or mess that happens with building works which can be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Gatster wrote: »
    We viewed a house recently that has an attic room, permanent staircase and an en-suite.

There are all the appropriate certs for building regs but it is a non-habitable space owing to the fire regs and head space.

The thing is the agent has included it as part of the overall floor space for the whole property, but as it’s effectively storage I don’t think think this is correct. The house is pricier than similar properties because of this.

It doesn't matter what the agent includes in his calculation of floor space. He might also like to include the shed and wardrobe floor spaces. You're the buyer, assess the floorspace yourself and bid accordingly.

The agent is acting for the seller. I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gave you a response in your building regulations thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

How much is an attic conversion with ensuite and velux windows on your average 3/4 bed semi d with standard roof these days? Thinking of doing the same to a property we're bidding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

Also I've heard engineers conducting pre purchase surveys rarely if ever sign off conversions for bedroom use, is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Hi Have had 2 quotes for 18k for this. one without cosmetic and one with (tiling etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I assume the certs include fire certs. If so then the issue may just be ceiling height, which is fairly arbitrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Zorya wrote:
    Try blast out of your self absorption for a while, give it a good shot, lots of exercise, read about things you don't know, do new things, spend memorable time with the children, give it your all for a year or so, appreciating what you have, and postpone thinking about stuff. Reevaluate after you have given life a real run for its money and if it still feels crap maybe see a counsellor.

adaephon wrote:
    Hi Have had 2 quotes for 18k for this. one without cosmetic and one with (tiling etc)

That's not too bad. Is that for attic conversion in a 3 bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you think the house is too expensive then don't bid on it, seems simple enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nothing to question. Just make an offer on what you are willing to spend on it. Bottom line is owners want to sell it for x are you willing to offer x.

Also while it’s not technically considered habitable is it cuttentky or will you use it as such. Plenty of people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Everyone else will see the house the way you do. So the price is the price that someone is prepared to pay at the end of the day.
    As noted, plenty of people use such conversions for habitation. Beware, though, that there may be insurance issues - in the event of a claim and it emerges that it is being lived in. Is it for your own use or rental ? Also the same issues, and reservations for some, will still be there if you come to sell again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The attic space is usable as a store. It just can't be used for sleeping accommodation. Other space such as understairs storage will also be included in the floor space measurement. In any event, the agent will have contracted out of any liability for the dimensions provided and it will be up to you to satisfy yourself as to the dimensions.
    The agent can quote any price the owner instructs him to quote. What prices are being quoted for other properties is irrelevant.
    The decision you have to make is how much the house is worth to you, if anything. Bid up to that level and if you don't get a deal, abandon any idea of buying that property.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its an attic conversion that almost certainly was used as a bedroom and probably will by whoever the new owner is , regardless of regulations or certs. The most irish of irish planning violations.

its an attic conversion that almost certainly was used as a bedroom and probably will by whoever the new owner is , regardless of regulations or certs. The most irish of irish planning violations.

You don't need planning to convert the attic space to a bedroom so its not a Planning Violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

kceire wrote: »
    You don't need planning to convert the attic space to a bedroom so its not a Planning Violation.

What do you actually need to officially classify an attic conversion as a bedroom?

Brego888 wrote: »
    What do you actually need to officially classify an attic conversion as a bedroom?

Building Regulation Compliance.
    You are converting a 2 storey house into a 3 storey house so significant structural alterations and fire safety provisions must be met.

This will go some way of explaining the requirements - https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1657%2Cen.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Does anyone know if an attic is converted to a room that is used for storage and i honestly mean storage, not a bedroom, no en-suite, but it has a permanent stairs going up to it do you need planning permissions or any certs for different things? Im clueless about this stuff but my attic in our house is converted but we dont have any of that. It has a fire alarm in it, wired. and a couple of plug sockets. 2 x Velux windows to the back of the house. Just wondering if we ever sell will it be an issue. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Does anyone know if an attic is converted to a room that is used for storage and i honestly mean storage, not a bedroom, no en-suite, but it has a permanent stairs going up to it do you need planning permissions or any certs for different things? Im clueless about this stuff but my attic in our house is converted but we dont have any of that.  It has a fire alarm in it, wired.  and a couple of plug sockets.  2 x Velux windows to the back of the house.  Just wondering if we ever sell will it be an issue.  Thanks
    One thing you need anyway is self closing fire doors all the way down to the exit of the house so in the event of a fire on the second floor then anyone in the 3rd floor will be able to get out of the house. We had to do this and its costly and the self closing doors are very annoying but its unreal the amount of people who have their attic converted incorrectly thinking they will never need to sell the house
    Then when they try and sell it , if the buyer is getting a mortgage then the bank will insist on an engineers report and any good engineer wont sign it off as its basically invalidating the house insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

We just sold a house with an attic converted to a room that we used for sleeping but was not a habitable space according to regs. Almost every buyer noted the fact and it affected price. The attic still added value, but not as much as a habitable space obviously.

The other downside was that one 1st floor room was reduced to accommodate stairs to attic at the time, bringing the room under habitable space minimum for house built at that time. We knew this at the time we made the change.

As the posters above said; you just need to find a buyer who wants what you are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

3DataModem wrote: »
    We just sold a house with an attic converted to a room that we used for sleeping but was not a habitable space according to regs. Almost every buyer noted the fact and it affected price. The attic still added value, but not as much as a habitable space obviously.

The other downside was that one 1st floor room was reduced to accommodate stairs to attic at the time, bringing the room under habitable space minimum for house built at that time. We knew this at the time we made the change.

As the posters above said; you just need to find a buyer who wants what you are selling.

But did you provide engineers reports etc to the buyer?

• Advertisement

3DataModem wrote: »

There was no changes made to any bedrooms in our house, i have no problem not being able to sell it as a habitable room, thats not what its intended purpose ever was, so i honestly wouldnt mind if it was sold as just converted for storage, that would be fine.

Does anyone know if an attic is converted to a room that is used for storage and i honestly mean storage, not a bedroom, no en-suite, but it has a permanent stairs going up to it do you need planning permissions or any certs for different things? Im clueless about this stuff but my attic in our house is converted but we dont have any of that. It has a fire alarm in it, wired. and a couple of plug sockets. 2 x Velux windows to the back of the house. Just wondering if we ever sell will it be an issue. Thanks

Still a conversion from a 2 to 3 storey dwelling so structural certs and fire safety compliance at a minimum.

Yeh i dont have those.. is it a 3 story dwelling if its just for storage? is it the inclusion of a stairs that changes that?

Yeh i dont have those.. is it a 3 story dwelling if its just for storage? is it the inclusion of a stairs that changes that?

The new accessible storey changes it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I'd like to know this too or is it the alterations to the rafters supporting the roof?
    What if the rafters are not changed and the access is a pull down ladder?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I got mine done.

The key thing here regardless of what you use it for is you are cutting away the rafters. Your original certificate of compliance when the house was build would be invalidated.

So selling will create problems. My mum had a similar room which people slep in and it's still perfect. Completed using wood. Add a few k and you can get rolled steel to add support to the floor. You need to inform your neighbour if your house is a semi or terraced house of you are putting the steel into the party wall.

I have one. Build with wood. I don't plan on selling my house for a long time so I will worry about that in 20 years.

I will inform the insurance company also to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Limpy wrote: »
    I got mine done.

The key thing here regardless of what you use it for is you are cutting away the rafters. Your original certificate of compliance when the house was build would be invalidated.

So selling will create problems. My mum had a similar room which people slep in and it's still perfect. Completed using wood. Add a few k and you can get rolled steel to add support to the floor. You need to inform your neighbour if your house is a semi or terraced house of you are putting the steel into the party wall.

I have one. Build with wood. I don't plan on selling my house for a long time so I will worry about that in 20 years.

I will inform the insurance company also to see what they say.

Do you? my neighbour never informed me, they definitley put steel in and I plan on doing so myself, although I intend on getting someone to do the works so I'll expect they know what needs to be done in terms of paperwork

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

1874 wrote: »
    Do you? my neighbour never informed me, they definitley put steel in and I plan on doing so myself, although I intend on getting someone to do the works so I'll expect they know what needs to be done in terms of paperwork

Most people just build away. But there is a party wall act.

http://www.mypartywall.ie/faq.html

Even if you get steel and you wanted anything signed off an engineer would need to review the plans before, during and after the work. But you wouldn't get a certificate to says its a room. Just the structure was changed and an engineer put his name to the work being compliment with building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Limpy wrote: »
    Most people just build away. But there is a party wall act.

http://www.mypartywall.ie/faq.html

Even if you get steel and you wanted anything signed off an engineer would need to review the plans before, during and after the work. But you wouldn't get a certificate to says its a room. Just the structure was changed and an engineer put his name to the work being compliment with building regs.

I just looked cant see anything regarding it, could my neighbour prevent me putting steels into the adjoining wall? they have already done so without informing me. I saw steel being brought in and left in their garden, Ive no doubt it was used for an attic conversion and the clatter of noise suggests they kango'd out part of the wall to rest the steel on, I checked my side at/after that as I was concerned about the level and duration of the noise to see if they had damaged the wall between our attics, and I couldnt find anything, so I took it that it was sound transmission in that instance

• Advertisement

1874 wrote: »
    I just looked cant see anything regarding it, could my neighbour prevent me putting steels into the adjoining wall? they have already done so without informing me. I saw steel being brought in and left in their garden, Ive no doubt it was used for an attic conversion and the clatter of noise suggests they kango'd out part of the wall to rest the steel on, I checked my side at/after that as I was concerned about the level and duration of the noise to see if they had damaged the wall between our attics, and I couldnt find anything, so I took it that it was sound transmission in that instance

You don’t put steel into the party wall.
    You bolt it to the party wall.

You try to minimize any penetrations into the party wall if possible.

Advertisement