Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Twins are not a possibility are they?

Have you looked at 25 June 1795 too? The second entry for that date.

**edit
    findmypast transcribes your entry above as Patk Isan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

21st October has 2 names as well - opposite gender - I agree twins are a possibility.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Thanks - very grateful for your input as always.

Twins might be a good explanation. It fits with there being a full extra field in the entry.

I'd dismissed it as I've found twins much later on that each had a separate entry [and a separate 2/6d !] - but this is probably a different priest.

I've also come across an entry where the father's name was given as "John Bane Junior" [July 1799] - where there was a need to distinguish between two different John Banes.

Do you think its possible that this 'John Bane Patrick' might be "John Bane, son of Patrick" - [like the format occasionally seen in Griffiths Valuation]

Yes, that's possible too. I've seen that format used in old rent rolls.

Genealogy Forum Mod

What's the place written under Eliza Bolger's name - fourth down on this page, please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05434/4519481.pdf

She died in the workhouse so I presume this was her address.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Effernogue, I think.

Do you think its possible that this 'John Bane Patrick' might be "John Bane, son of Patrick" - [like the format occasionally seen in Griffiths Valuation]

Managed to solve this - I found another entry from July 1805, where the ink is a little less smudgy - Mary, born to "John Bane Pat[k]", Cluniff. Looks like he's recorded as John Bane Patrick, to distinguish him from the other John Bane from Cluniff, who is recorded as "John Bane Jun[r]"

I'm doing research on two Moycullen families, and I'm completely spoiled by the extent and quality of the parish records there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

(L. G. Meara) NVM, it looks like the post got deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What's the place written under Eliza Bolger's name - fourth down on this page, please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05434/4519481.pdf

She died in the workhouse so I presume this was her address.

Agree with Spurious - Effernogue, it's near Ferns.

Any thoughts on the note on the first marriage here please?

The bride and groom have the same surname so I expect it to be some kind of consanguinity note, but there's nothing in the dispensations column.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the note on the first marriage here please?

The bride and groom have the same surname so I expect it to be some kind of consanguinity note, but there's nothing in the dispensations column.

I can't read it as posted/linked. Tried opening the page separately but the magnifier does not work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well here's the full view on pdf. Think it's Latin though, at which I'm useless -

bOqNmn.jpg

The entry two below has a similiar annotation - i can see the word Matrimonius for sure, but can only have a guess that the rest looks roughly like:

Stransus fuit autrea matrimonius langanitur

That last word could be something to do with blood [like sanganitur]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can't read it as posted/linked. Tried opening the page separately but the magnifier does not work.

If you click Microfilm 04602 / 05 arrowed in the image that'll take you back to the page with the magnifier function.
    459764.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Looks like Sponsus fuit antea in matrimonio consanguinitum - the groom was previously in a blood relationship? Doesn't make much sense, maybe somebody with fresher latin than mine will be along.

edit: I wonder does it mean the groom was previously married?

edit 2: looking at the civil registration John is a widower so my guess is that's the meaning of the note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Looks like Sponsus fuit antea in matrimonio consanguinitum - the groom was previously in a blood relationship? Doesn't make much sense, maybe somebody with fresher latin than mine will be along.

edit: I wonder does it mean the groom was previously married?

edit 2: looking at the civil registration John is a widower so my guess is that's the meaning of the note.

I think the last word is 'conjunctus' but agreed otherwise.

Agree with Vetch - sponsus fuit antes in matrimonio conjunctus - the groom was formerly joined in matrimony.

Thanks all. I hadn't seen that one before.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Can anyone make out the cause of death for this baby? She was a twin and her twin had the same cause of death recorded but I can't make it out or else I'm not familiar with the term.

I think it might be Inanition, exhaustion due to lack of food. Perhaps there were birth defects that made them unable to feed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05768/4630061.pdf
    No. 269 John Kiely. Can anyone make out what the cause of death was?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

hblock21 wrote: »
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05768/4630061.pdf
    No. 269 John Kiely. Can anyone make out what the cause of death was?
    Thanks

Strangulation by hanging himself whilst temporarily insane.

The notifier was the Coronor for Co. Tipp who held an inquest on 24 October, so a look at local press after that date might give more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

So sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Find My Past is free this weekend, and I've found various nuggets relating to family members.

This enquiry is about a claim and counterclaim of assault in the Petty Sessions Court

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE/PETTYS/4619370/00352&parentid=IRE/PETTYS/4619370/00352/1874997 1st & 2nd entries

What I have so far:

11 - June 9, 1871; Complainant: Mary Molyneux; Defendant: Rose Lee, Hazelhatch; Witnesses: Mary Molyneux & Mary Lyons?; Complaint: That defendant did at Hazelhatch on 4th June ___ & 5th do(ditto) use threatening language ___ ____ and did assault her & her children; Particulars: Case dismissed?

12 - June 9, 1871; Complainant: Rose Lee; Defendant: George Molyneux & Mary Molyneux; Witnesses: Rose Lee, Mary Lee?; Complaint: That defendant did assault complainant? at Hazelhatch on the 4th & 5th of June ___; Particulars: Case dismissed?

DamoRed wrote: »

What I have so far:

11 - June 9, 1871; Complainant: Mary Molyneux; Defendant: Rose Lee, Hazelhatch; Witnesses: Mary Molyneux & Mary Lyons?; Complaint: That defendant did at Hazelhatch on 4th June inst. & 5th do(ditto) use threatening language to Compl(ainan)t and did assault her & her children; Particulars: Case dismissed?

12 - June 9, 1871; Complainant: Rose Lee; Defendant: George Molyneux & Mary Molyneux; Witnesses: Rose Lee, Mary Lee?; Complaint: That defendant did assault complainant? at Hazelhatch on the 4th & 5th of June inst; Particulars: Case dismissed?

inst. means this month. I'm not sure if it can also mean this year.

Another one, from 1882

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE/PETTYS/4619372/00568&parentid=IRE/PETTYS/4619372/00568/1893073

5 - Complainant: Timothy Colclough; Defendant: George Molyneux, Hazelhatch; Witnesses: T Colclough, J Dowling; Complaint: That defendant allowed a number of geese? (on) his property to trespass on complainant's meadow pasture land at Hazelhatch in said district twice on the 31st of July 1882: Particulars: Defendand to pay 8d fine & 2d costs. 6d ____ if warrant issued.

Christ Almighty! If allowing these errant geese to wander once onto the neighbour's meadow wasn't bad enough, he went and let them do it again! Lock him up & throw away the key! :mad: :D

On previous entries, the complainant is named as S.C. P or Peter Brady. In this instance, what does the SC stand for? Is it Sub Const. short for constable?

DamoRed wrote: »

5 - Complainant: Timothy Colclough; Defendant: George Molyneux, Hazelhatch; Witnesses: T Colclough, J Dowling; Complaint: That defendant allowed a number of geese? (on) his property to trespass on complainant's meadow + pasture land at Hazelhatch in said district twice on the 31st of July 1882: Particulars: Defendand to pay 8d fine & 2d costs. 6d add(itiona)l if warrant issued.

On previous entries, the complainant is named as S.C. P or Peter Brady. In this instance, what does the SC stand for? Is it Sub Const. short for constable?

Sub. Const. was a rank in the RIC.

Thanks for both, Spurious. My grandfather was a Civic Guard, it now appears that his father, Peter, for whom I'd no occupation information, was also a law keeper. Great to be able to add this to his records.

I meant to say, that in searching for records of one great-grandfather, I had the rare privilege of seeing both maternal and paternal on the same page, if for very different reasons.

This has been a very fruitful few hours of searching on Find My Past, a site where I've never had a subscription before. That's sure to change, if only for a month here or there, as needs arise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Any ideas for this one?

jhzsls.jpg

First entry on the page - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634795#page/194/mode/1up

Advertisement