Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hermy wrote: »
    I know I'm leaving out the difficult bit but that's the best I can do. :)

"Debility
    after her ___
    three hours"

Hermy, beat me to it, that is exactly what i would have said too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hermy wrote: »
    I know I'm leaving out the difficult bit but that's the best I can do. :)

"Debility
    after her ___
    three hours"

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Hi all need some help please.

Can you make out cause of death, I was told she died in child birth just want to make sure think she 2 x great grandmother.

Thanks in advance
    debility after her confinement, uncertified, no medical attendant, three hours

confinement refers to the birth process.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I wonder who Thomas Brien, the male notifier was? A brother, perhaps? Did the infant survive? (Did you check for baptism?)

Home birth was the norm in rural areas well into the 1900’s. Hygiene had improved a little from earlier days, but it was still very basic, cross-infection by a doctor or midwife being very common. As a result puerperal or postpartum infection led to blood poisoning and fever; weeks after childbirth they were common causes of death among women. Any blood poisonng generally was fatal.

In England (and probably Ireland was much the same) maternal mortality dropped from 10 per 1,000 mid 1700’s to 5 per 1,000 in the mid 1800’s. No big impression was made on that rate until the 1930’s, when it dropped from 4 to about 1 by 1950. The cure was the discovery & use of antibiotics. Anaesthesia (chloroform / ether) was known and in regular surgical use since the US Civil War but the predominant view in the Christian church held that its use in childbirthwas sacrilegious, as pain was part of women’s curse and also that it was necessary to help form the ‘maternal bond’ with the infant. (Experts to a man!:rolleyes:)

Her Maiden name was O'Brien and on wedding cert her father Michael O'Brien so maybe Thomas was a brother? Yes the infant survived he was my great grandfather. I have grave stone erected by her mother Elizabeth with no mention of her husband James!!! James married again pretty fast and had a further family which i am trying to track down!!! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635266#page/5/mode/1up
    Can anyone figure out the maiden name of the mother on this baptismal record? Baby is Anne, father is John Falkner, mother is Honoria? Honora?
    .  Sponsors are Edwd? Wheelaghan & Judy? Wheelaghan.  The mother is my 3X great-grandmother so I am very eager to find out the maiden name. 

Parish is Rochefortbridge, Co Westmeath. Date is 20 September 1823.  3rd of 4 columns, 2nd record from top.
    Thanks very much, VirginiaB

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it's Cahi(r?) or something like that. To me, what looks like a final Y seems to be the first letter (F) of the word on the line below.

Thanks for that but I'm still stuck.  I hope this image helps. The one at number 20.  This is really tough but a very important record. VirginiaB
    455696.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, that's the one I was looking at. I'm sure someone else will come along with a better interpretation, but to me that reads Honorea Cahi, one or two letters I can't quite make out (N? S and R?) and then what looks like an F but it's most likely a W of the name on the line below.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not certain but it looks a bit like Canning.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Could it be Caning? What looks like a "h" i think is coming from the tail of J in the line above.

I did a quick google search and found the following on surnamedatabase.com

"Two Gaelic Irish families O Cainin of Westmeath and Offaly, and Cannon of Co. Donegal have occasionally anglicized their name as Canning"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought Canning too and then I wondered was a H hidden by the downstroke of John, but then what could it be? Cahissy? Cahinny? Cahirry? I went back to Canning.

Thanks for these suggestions.  Will search for Canning in the area.  It doesn't look like Canning to me but the best guess yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I'll suggest Cahirny, perhaps as a misspelling of Kearney or Carney but really not sure. The pattern of the letters doesn't look right to me for Canning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think the last letter is a 'y' - the g is different - see the g in Wheelaghan

What looks like a "h" i think is coming from the tail of J in the line above.

This.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm wondering if it is Cahery.  Not exactly what it looks like but there are four in Griffith's in Mullingar Union where this parish is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Can anyone make out where James Molloy was born...its written three times in the different columns but it doesnt make sense to me.

Also what is the mothers maiden name?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02294/1860576.pdf

Possibly Kate Quinn? see attached, also have you checked parish records?

Address looks similar but can't make out on marriage cert

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Possibly Kate Quinn? see attached, also have you checked parish records?

Address looks similar but can't make out on marriage cert

The marriage records for St Michans in 1891 don't seem to be available according to https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0499. Are they accessible anywhere else do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

18 L[ittle] Strand Street and Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Griffinx wrote: »
    Can anyone make out where James Molloy was born...its written three times in the different columns but it doesnt make sense to me.

Also what is the mothers maiden name?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02294/1860576.pdf

7 Basin View Terrace. As this is North City No.2, I assume this is near the Blessington Street Basin.

Molloy is the mother's maiden name, his dead father was Francis Minter.

tabbey wrote: »
    7 Basin View Terrace. As this is North City No.2, I assume this is near the Blessington Street Basin.

Molloy is the mother's maiden name, his dead father was Francis Minter.

Wrong entry tabbey.

The releveant one is further down the page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It always amazes me the state of some of the handwriting on these and the Registrars seem to have been in the job for years. Some areas you have beautiful clear writing and others you have years of scribbles.

I suppose that's why good penmanship was given so much importance.

Good morning, A long shot i know I can make out Christopher, can anyone help on the rest!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please link to the whole page.
    Have you tried flipping into negative?

Surname might be Irwin?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sometimes the transcribers for rootsireland have seen a slightly clearer image.

• Advertisement

29 December 1808

Advertisement