Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a matter of interest, the channel down the middle of old cow sheds, what would it be called?

In a tie-up byre, it would be called "the group" in Cavan/Leitrim.
    In an old solid floor cubicle house, it'd be just called " the channel".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In a tie-up byre, it would be called "the group" in Cavan/Leitrim.
    In an old solid floor cubicle house, it'd be just called " the channel".

Even in our concrete cubicle shed.
    Stand - where the cows stand.
    Group - channel between both stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Blink and the sticky threads are gone.
    Blink again and they're back. :)

Those crazy vegans and their Jesus puddings...

RT (@RT_com) Tweeted:
    Human blood sausages turning heads in #Spain! https://t.co/JARX93LfwZ https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1107763610674257923?s=17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who was it mentioned someone employed getting six weeks off? I never heard of anyone getting that time off other than teachers. At work at 7am, still replying to emails and hiring employees at this hour, and not so much as a mouse fed, myself included.
    The grass is always greener, but not sure if it is anyways easier to grab hold!
    Think we could all do with a day in each others boots. Not saying either is any easier, both can be tough and disappointing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Odelay wrote: »
    Who was it mentioned someone employed getting six weeks off? I never heard of anyone getting that time off other than teachers. At work at 7am, still replying to emails and hiring employees at this hour, and not so much as a mouse fed, myself included.
    Think we could all do with a day in each others boots. Not saying either is any easier, both can be tough and disappointing..

Same as. Left home this am at 5:20. Home at 7:00. Did an hour in the yard then and off to bed now. Wrecked but it was for an annual training day up country. I am now re-calibrated. Back to normal tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think 20days is the minimum, but 25 would be common enough. I have heard of people on 30 days, after a good few years service in some places...
    Also, some very old civil service contracts had up to 30days hols I believe...

Agree about a day in everyone’s shoes though.

Just looking at the news about the cyclone in Africa... :(
    It makes our shoes look very very comfortable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Blink and the sticky threads are gone.
    Blink again and they're back. :)

Sorry about this, there's some testing of new software going on atm so there's some peculiar stuff happening on and off. Hopefully it'll be ready for roll out fairly soon.

Sorry about this, there's some testing of new software going on atm so there's some peculiar stuff happening on and off. Hopefully it'll be ready for roll out fairly soon.

So they're finally replacing the moderators with board bots.
    Imagine all the free time you'll have now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

You think it's bad having no shoes, until you meet a man who has no feet.

• Advertisement

I was just watching a tv program about silicon valley on bbc4 and the new tech and information gathering, corporate controlling, automated, capital controlled by a few, decision making elimination, future that awaits us all.
    The disrupted power of silicon valley.

One of the things that hit me is that this new automated world doesn't gel well with livestock farming.
    A human is still needed to herd the animal, spot problems and mind that animal.

In the veg world. Tractors, machinery, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting can be fully automated and controlled by the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Those crazy vegans and their Jesus puddings...

RT (@RT_com) Tweeted:
    Human blood sausages turning heads in #Spain! https://t.co/JARX93LfwZ https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1107763610674257923?s=17

Them fcukers had no tags best call the dept

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think 20days is the minimum, but 25 would be common enough. I have heard of people on 30 days, after a good few years service in some places...

A physio in a cork hospital told me she had 29 days, and they wouldn't exactly be run off their feet. She got that job less than ten years ago as well, so it was well into the recession, wasting money in the bad times even
    I've never met a physio that could cure anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

When you get to a certain payrate, u are better off with better entitlements (ie more hols, shorter working hours eyc) than more salary as most goes in tax. Work/life balance and all that comes into it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

MeTheMan wrote: »
    You think it's bad having no shoes, until you meet a man who has no feet.

I was out in Nairobi one time and a lad came up asking would I give him my sandals when I was going home. He had flip flops on and took them off to show how badly he needed new shoes. The poor fecker had no sole left on them, he had a bit under his toes and the strap between his toes and bit of sole at the back. They were purely there to look like he had something on his feet only!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bullocks wrote: »
    I was out in Nairobi one time and a lad came up asking would I give him my sandals when I was going home. He had flip flops on and took them off to show how badly he needed new shoes. The poor fecker had no sole left on them, he had a bit under his toes and the strap between his toes and bit of sole at the back. They were purely there to look like he had something on his feet only!

It’s very humbling to witness true poverty on large scale. Really brings home the luck of birth that we take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

wrangler wrote: »
    I've never met a physio that could cure anything

I spend most of last year with a frustrationing hip injury, I'm a competitive enough track runner, it completely knocked me out of that, and made many days on the farm barely bareable (I'd be in bits after 10mins of anything strenuous like herding stock). I went to my gp, got an mri, referred on to a hip consultant, who booked me in for a hip injection, and told me if that doesn't work then come back in 6wks and we'll consider surgery options. By that stage I'd already spent 2grand (I didn't have health care insurance then ugh), and the problem was no better. Long story short I went to a very good local sports physio, who over the space of about 4 weeks helped reduce tightness, and build up the muscles all around the hip area, and now finally after a year I'm back pain free and to where I was a year ago. Like all professions you get good and bad but you got a very shallow outlook there wrangler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Them fcukers had no tags best call the dept

Say nuttin, we'll catch them and tag them ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Timmaay wrote: »
    I spend most of last year with a frustrationing hip injury, I'm a competitive enough track runner, it completely knocked me out of that, and made many days on the farm barely bareable (I'd be in bits after 10mins of anything strenuous like herding stock). I went to my gp, got an mri, referred on to a hip consultant, who booked me in for a hip injection, and told me if that doesn't work then come back in 6wks and we'll consider surgery options. By that stage I'd already spent 2grand (I didn't have health care insurance then ugh), and the problem was no better. Long story short I went to a very good local sports physio, who over the space of about 4 weeks helped reduce tightness, and build up the muscles all around the hip area, and now finally after a year I'm back pain free and to where I was a year ago. Like all professions you get good and bad but you got a very shallow outlook there wrangler.

Maybe so, I presume your physio was selfemployed, TBF I never went to a physio that had to get results to stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bullocks wrote: »
    My cleaner volunteers in a homeless shelter locally. I was throwing out a pair of ohs shoes they were really well worn, she said she'd take them. Lads arrive in with no shoes. She also goes to a woman's refuge and I give her any clothes my kids have grown out of for there. She has told me of kids arriving with their mother in just their nappy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »

Well done on your 5k the other day btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Some ppl count unvouched sick leave as holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are some jobs out there that hit around the six weeks leave in general they are state jobs. I think nurses get about 5 weeks now and 3-5 other single days. however they work a lot of bank holidays. In some bigger companies you may hit this however in general it is through maybe having Bank holidays added in. For example maybe 10 days (1.5 weeks) at Christmas from the Christmas eve until the 2nd or 3rd of January. Christmas eve is now a peusdo bank holiday in most companies unless you are in the retail or the pub/resturant trade.

3 weeks during the summer often those that taken in between late July early August incorporating the August Bank holiday. In total you would only have taken 17 days holidays. But were off for 4.5 weeks. If you had 7 days with that it give the impression of 6 weeks holidays even though you have only 24 days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There are some jobs out there that hit around the six weeks leave in general they are state jobs. I think nurses get about 5 weeks now and 3-5 other single days. however they work a lot of bank holidays. In some bigger companies you may hit this however in general it is through maybe having Bank holidays added in. For example maybe 10 days (1.5 weeks) at Christmas from the Christmas eve until the 2nd or 3rd of January. Christmas eve is now a peusdo bank holiday in most companies unless you are in the retail or the pub/resturant trade.

3 weeks during the summer often those that taken in between late July early August incorporating the August Bank holiday. In total you would only have taken 17 days holidays. But were off for 4.5 weeks. If you had 7 days with that it give the impression of 6 weeks holidays even though you have only 24 days
    I the army we get roughly 28 to 30 days depending on the amount of service. Only thing is weekends are classed as working days when taking holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Reggie. wrote: »
    I the army we get roughly 28 to 30 days depending on the amount of service. Only thing is weekends are classed as working days when taking holidays

Colin fennelly says yere on holidays all the time!

Reggie. wrote: »

I just heard Sean Hartnett on the local radio station giving a taster of his new book "Client Confidential".
    He'd want two eyes on the front and four eyes on his back.
    Interesting life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Colin fennelly says yere on holidays all the time!

Ah sure we could learn alot from that fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Speaking of jobs,Wicklow Co Co are advertising for life guards at the moment
    Mon to Friday,40 hrs, €500 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Over the last 2 years get the odd letter from Irish Water stating i could have a potential leak and offering a free first fix. In fairness I do keep meaning to give them a call. Reality is there is no leak as when building the house here the water supply for the home place was running through the site so we took that one and ran the new connection around the site and connected to the pipe running up home. Farmyard is coming off the supply.
    Anyway got a bit of a laugh just now. Came in the door and there is a slip on the floor from Shareridge on behalf of Irish Water.
    "We are in the area investigating for potential leaks under the first fix free scheme"
    Hand written on the top corner "Unable to locate water meter"
    Thought to myself ye'll be a good crowd looking for a leak when ye cant even find the water meter which by the side of the road!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Well done on your 5k the other day btw

I wouldn't mind but we are fairly sure the course was about 100m long, according to all the garmins ha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement