Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Griffiths valuation book

Options
  • 01-03-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

A relation of mine has a Griffiths valuation book from 1857, it's in middling shape considering its age. Does anyone know would it be worth much money?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They come up every now and then at auctions. Couple of hundred quid depending on whether it's an area people might be interested in. It's all online now so not a huge draw.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They come up every now and then at auctions. Couple of hundred quid depending on whether it's an area people might be interested in. It's all online now so not a huge draw.

Cheers I take it they were probably worth a lot more before being posted online?

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Cheers I take it they were probably worth a lot more before being posted online?

Don't know, but that would stand to reason. Not quite sure why anyone would bid for it, tbh.

A family member of mine had a few ledgers from an ancestor who worked in a Dublin medical school back when bodies were being robbed from graves. It documented the admission of lots of bodies to various Dublin medical schools from private citizens during the early 1800s, including the price paid per corpse across the various anatomy departments. But when she went to auction these ledgers , the (quite well known) auctioneer advised her that they were not of much interest.

That was about 15 years ago, and when she died, we couldn't find the old anatomy ledgers. I assume she just binned them after she was told they were financially worthless, which was a crazy thing to do. Hopefully they might still turn up.

I guess the take-home is that not everything which is historically interesting is worth much money. But they're still worth keeping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A real shame that too often the financial worth is often the factor that decides somethings fate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah my relation has it as a keep sake, something that is passed down through family but of course I was curious as to whether it carries much value or not.

• Advertisement

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Yeah my relation has it as a keep sake, something that is passed down through family but of course I was curious as to whether it carries much value or not.
    can you describe the record, is it one volume; handwritten or printed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Don't know, but that would stand to reason. Not quite sure why anyone would bid for it, tbh.

Actually, I think there's a lot of value in seeing a trade directory intact. There's a lot more to them than lists of names and seeing the context is worth it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

can you describe the record, is it one volume; handwritten or printed?

One book on our local area and it is all printed

Advertisement