Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan parks that sell mobile homes

• 11-10-2018 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all, currently living and working in Dublin but looking at ways to avoid the sting of high rent.

Just wondering if there is any campsites that are selling mobile homes? I believe average yearly upkeep is about 3 thousand (which includes power etc) so was thinking of going down this route if i was able to get a good deal on one within an hours commute of the city.

We pay about 15k a year on rent as it is so 3k plus maybe 5k of a purchase would be a seriously good investment if we could stay all year round!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Hi OP.
    A few points...... 5k of a purchase? Is that what you are pricing the mobile home at?

If so,you are shockingly off the mark.

Add approx 20k to that for starters,plus the fact that most,if not all parks operate an 8 to 9 month lease.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you want one with a roof you'll be paying a lot more than 5k

This was fairly common during a previous housing shortage in the late 60s to early 70s - fixed and fully serviced, but they were 2-3,000 pounds even back then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A lot of the sites do not open for the full year but then if there is a demand why not?
    Time to use a bit of imagination and initiative

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Edgware wrote: »
    A lot of the sites do not open for the full year but then if there is a demand why not?
    Time to use a bit of imagination and initiative

Holiday sites don't want people living there full time and likely don't have planning permission for same either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

<SNIP> have a few hundred people living all year round. Train station 5 minute drive away. Think it's 3.5k a year rent and then buy the home. Don't mind them on here saying u have to spend 30k I got a decent mobile delivered 2yr ago for 2500

• Advertisement

Who mentioned spending 30k?

If your standard of living is set at 2.5k,that's your perogative.

Cold winters and Irish weather are hard on old mobiles.

12 months of the year in a mobile requires a good level of comfort ,it's nice to be cosy,that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Uncharted wrote: »
    Who mentioned spending 30k?

If your standard of living is set at 2.5k,that's your perogative.

Cold winters and Irish weather are hard on old mobiles.

12 months of the year in a mobile requires a good level of comfort ,it's nice to be cosy,that's all I'm saying.

Eh, you did. Add 20k for starters to his 5k budget.
    If my standard of living is set at 2.5k that's my perogative - how very precious.

Op, me the missus n 2 nippers spent last winter in one while doing an extension on the house. Stick a stove in the mobile on day one and u'll be toasty for the winter.

20k + 5k = 25k.... no?

Anyway,you have your version of comfortable living.
    I have mine.

I know for sure I wouldn't attempt to rear kids in an aging 2.5k mobile in Irish weather.

Best of luck with what you decide OP.
    If you choose wisely and spend some reasonable money,it will become an investment,rather than a stop gap.

Just be sure to check thoroughly for signs of damp or mildew.
    Signs to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

enricoh wrote: »
    Eh, you did. Add 20k for starters to his 5k budget.
    If my standard of living is set at 2.5k that's my perogative - how very precious.

Op, me the missus n 2 nippers spent last winter in one while doing an extension on the house. Stick a stove in the mobile on day one and u'll be toasty for the winter.

As far as I know, no mobile home north of 15 years is allowed on any commercial park, therefore for what you are proposing the previous poster who mentioned €20k would be substantially more accurate than the €2.5k mentioned, irrispective of the standard of living expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A mobile home that you could live in with esb supply is 20k plus,
    my friend bought one in Donabate 6 months ago.
    I think its open all year round.
    It has fridge,oven, microwave ,bathroom.
    he pays a fee i,m not sure what it is ,to rent the site.
    i visited site 4 years ago,
    they are more comfortable well designed and larger than a 1 bed flat in dublin .
    ok for one person to live in.
    He just uses phone to acess the web .
    he lives there 3 days a week, then goes to his girlfriends flat.

https://www.donedeal.ie/mobilehomes-for-sale/mobile-home/19933186

a mobile home is no use if you have no where to park it,
    or no esb supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement