Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replace Windows before selling?

• 09-10-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Brief background: Live in 4 bed semi-d in mature (1996) estate in village in North West. At peak house prices were €230k but have remained static now at €140 ish last 3 years- with little difference based on condition. We would like a change...so contemplating putting on market in spring. Are almost mortgage free-tracker.
    House in good condition but original Windows-standard pvc double glaze and rear patio door a little drafty. Getting conflicting advice on whether to proceed with new windows if selling. Some say wont get money back...others say needs doing. Rough estimate €4000 to do. Opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

won't get your money back i'd say, let buyers factor that in themselves and sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Madness if selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Bit of a gamble given it could be circa 3% of the sale price, especially as you say “with little difference based on condition.” I wouldn’t bother.

From a buyers perspective, the house I bought had new-ish windows (fitted 12 months before sale) and it certainly didn’t stand out to us amongst other considerations. In fact, while they’re great quality and secure, the style/colour/hardware arent my taste at all, but would be a waste for me to change now on that basis. So in hindsight I’d have preferred if they weren’t done.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

No, I wouldn't replace them, you wouldn't make it back.

As another poster has said, let the new owner do it, different tastes etc.

Maybe reseal the windows at most if you're concerned about draughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Very few viewers of a property would notice a draft from a window unless it was an incredibly windy day. Most will actually just look at them, see they're double-glazed and tick that box on their requirements list.

It'd be madness to replace them before a sale. Get them cleaned of course but don't even think about throwing your money away on replacing them: you'll never see the money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Lunacy to spend money like that. It may act as a disincentive if the buyers don't like your windows. have the property in a clean, uncluttered condition for viewing.
    If some intending purchaser makes an issue about the windows, offer a discount on your asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jaysus no - you'd be crazy to do it.

The absolute most I'd do is maybe spend a hundred or so on paint and make the place look fresh. Improvements like that add basically nothing to the sale value when it comes right down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I'm going to go against the consensus here and say it's worth getting done.
    Replacing windows and doors is a disruptive and expensive job, and could put some buyers off knowing it has to be done. Their surveyor if he's anyway competent will almost certainly highlight any problems with the current windows and doors - so at the minimum it's one less issue for buyer to worry about. Also, warmth/BER rating/insulation is something more buyers are aware of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

It won't be a deciding factor for most potential buyers so I wouldn't bother. Make sure the place is clean and mostly neutral in decor .. location and price are biggest factors...everything else is an added bonus..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't do it, I replaced the windows in my house when I bought it. Dropped a small fortune on windows and doors that were needed and was something I had in mind when looking at houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Thanks folks...consensus seems to be don't bother...hard to argue. I agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Clean the existing windows properly however before it is shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

For most situations it does not make sense to do this. However it depends what ‘market’ you are after.

If there is demand for pristine, ready to go houses and yours fits in that category it might be worthwhile.

I would get an estate agent (or two) to look at the house with a view to sale and ask for their opinion.

Advertisement