Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portlaoise or Carlow

Options
  • 04-12-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello!

I'm First time buyer and I'm looking for a place in one of these two towns because they have reasonable prices and seem to have everything I would need to live well, with some good places to shopping / pubs / etc.

I've visited them both already, but could you guys tell me your opinion about them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Worked in Portlaoise, was easy to get to from Dublin. Worked with a couple of people from Carlow they were both mental and loved Carlow like Cork people love Cork.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted but you've not given us a huge amount to go on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tsznx

Worked in Portlaoise, was easy to get to from Dublin. Worked with a couple of people from Carlow they were both mental and loved Carlow like Cork people love Cork.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted but you've not given us a huge amount to go on :pac:

Thanks for your reply! I'm basically trying to understand how's life in general in both towns, if people who live in those towns like what they provide, have a good life, feel safe, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As a visitor to both I'd pick Carlow a hundred times more than Portlaoise. PL always feels grey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Where would you be moving from, have you family, age bracket?

I'm from Laois originally but Carlow was the closer town. Carlow probably has more of a young peoples vibe with the college (Carlow IT) and The Foundry nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RAAAASA

I am actually searching for properties in the same areas. And the same question. Portlaoise or carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Portlaoise, nearer to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Carlow, further from Dublin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Driving they are exactly the same distance. If planning to use train to travel Portlaoise is the better option as its on the main Cork/Limerick line so a lot more train options while Carlow is on Waterford line which gets far fewer trains during the day. lifestyle wise they are pretty similar to each other with shops etc...Carlow feels smaller/more close knit as the motorway to Dublin is 'newer' while Portlaoise has been a commuter town for longer.

Advertisement