Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Painting rented apartment

• 03-12-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whether painting my rented apartment is my responsibility or the landlord's? And how often should it be done?

I'm renting through HAP, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just wondering whether painting my rented apartment is my responsibility or the landlord's? And how often should it be done?

I'm renting through HAP, if that makes a difference.

It's the landlords responsibility.
    How often depends on its condition.

If you really want to paint it and the landlord won't then you could offer to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

The landlord is legally responsible
    Every 3-4 years depending on the condition of the property would be normal
    Some landlords don’t like the expense and try and hold off until there is a change of tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We just painted my parents house. Hadnt painted it in about 10 years and its only the last year the paint started looking old.

Id say 5 years between painting should be expected at the least, unless you just get sick of the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Get the council in to inspect the apartment. They will give the landlord a list of things to do, including painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Get the council in to inspect the apartment. They will give the landlord a list of things to do, including painting.

Unless there's mould dripping off the walls, you dont get the Council in to check on the paint.

What do you think the council do exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No they won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I wouldn't go opening that can of worms!! The apartment is absolutely grand in general, and anyways I prefer to take care of most things myself anyways when I can rather than bothering the landlord.

I wouldn't go opening that can of worms!! The apartment is absolutely grand in general, and anyways I prefer to take care of most things myself anyways when I can rather than bothering the landlord.

Ask him to pay for the paint and materials at least
    Throw in the price of a few pints for yourself
    Make sure you let him know the cost and get agreement before you start
    Any decent landlord would be happy to do this as it saves him time, hassle and money

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭peter4918

brisan wrote: »
    Ask him to pay for the paint and materials at least
    Throw in the price of a few pints for yourself
    Make sure you let him know the cost and get agreement before you start
    Any decent landlord would be happy to do this as it saves him time, hassle and money

This.

I’ve lived in a few places and the landlords have been more than happy to pay for paint, brushes etc once you do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The landlord is legally responsible
    Every 3-4 years depending on the condition of the property would be normal

What on earth would someone be doing to internal walls which causes them to need to be painted every 3-4 years? Genuinely curious - I'm looking around the place I've been in for over 10 years and cannot see any need for paint!

• Advertisement

What on earth would someone be doing to internal walls which causes them to need to be painted every 3-4 years? Genuinely curious - I'm looking around the place I've been in for over 10 years and cannot see any need for paint!

I would say kids are the main source of knocks and scuff marks, that's the case in my place anyways!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

That's your place

Most places need redoing after a few years

All depends on what standards you are happy with
    I would not leave any room unpainted for more than 4 years
    Once you paint one room it will show up how faded the other rooms are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Offer to paint it if he buys the paint

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Unless there's mould dripping off the walls, you dont get the Council in to check on the paint.

What do you think the council do exactly?

The environmental inspector checks compliance with the Housing standards regulations. They are very picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends on wear and tear and what's reasonable. If you have a room thats not used that much you are not going to paint it every few years. If someone destroys the walls of a place in 6 months, that doesn't they get it painted every 6 months.

Tenants often offer to do DIY work like painting themselves, often for a reduction in rent. The risk with this, is they do a sub standard job, and horrific colors and even damage the place. So a lot will avoid this complication. Just get professionals in.

In some countries the tenant gets a place new painted but is expect to give it back in the same condition. So the tenant is responsible for painting. But it seems this is also changing.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180822/tenants-dont-have-to-make-cosmetic-repairs-to-their-unrenovated-apartments

There is a point at which spending money on things like painting too often, just sucks out any return on the property. So there's a balance to be struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

That is fair, it was not re-painted on entry so means no re-painted on exit.

Sounds like some crossed wires between agreed practise and some non standard arrangement. All sounds a bit daft.

Anyway the point was only there a number of ways to do it and there might be less ambiguity if done by professionals. Otherwise it can get convulted.

beauf wrote: »
    Sounds like some crossed wires between agreed practise and some non standard arrangement. All sounds a bit daft.

Anyway the point was only there a number of ways to do it and there might be less ambiguity if done by professionals. Otherwise it can get convulted.

If a landlord is offered a choice of professionals doing it for 2 k or the tenant doing it for 500 euro what do you think he will choose

If a landlord is offered a choice of professionals doing it for 2 k or the tenant doing it for 500 euro what do you think he will choose

Ive some friends who are landlords and we have had this discussion in the past. None of them will let a tenant paint ever again. a couple of them did that in the past and it ended up costing them even more at the end of the day to undo the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The environmental inspector checks compliance with the Housing standards regulations. They are very picky.

Yes but they dont demand regular repainting.
    Your advice is inaccurate.

There's a difference in knowing the value of something and the cost of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It would depend on the landlord and the property.

You're making the mistake of assuming every rental is a dive-rental and every landlord is prepared to sacrifice quality for a decent finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All depends on what standards you are happy with
    I would not leave any room unpainted for more than 4 years
    Once you paint one room it will show up how faded the other rooms are

Magnolia fades?

Magnolia fades?

It oxidises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I only painted my apartment this summer for the first time in 16 years. It was fine but I wanted the place to feel like mine after my marriage breakup a while ago. I also wanted to get rid of the magnolia. One of the painters told me that every 5 years is kinda standard and it's doors and woodwork that tend to show fading/yellowing more than walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

We've painted the hall three times, the living room twice, kitchen once and our bedroom for the first time since we moved in. Landlord's fine about it and will knock the price of the paint off the rent. I also run the colours by him. Not a fan of weird and funky colours and everything's done in subtle shades - pale green, shades of taupe and pale grey.

Thanks guys for the responses.

I wouldn't feel confident painting it myself ... Out of interest, roughly how much would it cost to paint a two-bed apartment (including ceilings), assuming the landlord provides paint etc? Ballpark figure!

If I was a landlord Id probably agree to let someone paint themselves if they agreed to return it to its original colour scheme at the end of their tenancy. Assuming they were good painters of course. not much good letting a tenant paint if you only have to pay professionals to paint it properly again if they did a bad job.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't feel confident painting it myself ...

As the saying goes,
    "if you can piss,you can paint".

Anyone can paint if you have the time,preparation is 80% of the job.

Advertisement