Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

The Tain translated by Thomas Kinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cujo by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cujo by Stephen King.

That book gave me a long standing fear of dogs - as well as nightmares. I’d be afraid to read it again. Even the front cover was frightening.

Just finished reading one of those 3 for a tenner new books - Andy McNab ‘Liberation Day’. If you like maps and lots and lots and lots of (road) directions in your plots you will enjoy it.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

mariaalice wrote: »
    David Mitchell is a very underrated writer Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite books the film was dreadfully though.

That’s one I’d always mention if someone asks me for a “recommendation”.

Haven’t read it myself, of course, have far better books to be reading but it is something the average would reader enjoy.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Used to horse into the Michael Connelly books myself. They're good, very slickly written, but they're lacking a bit of grit and authenticity. Trying to expand my horizons, I moved on to Dennis Lehane, George Pelecanos and James Ellroy and I prefer their oeuvre. Pelecanos is very good at writing street characters and I get engrossed in their stories; it helps that the characters are funny and relatable, whereas the characterisation in Connelly books is very dry and formulaic. James Ellroy is in a world of his own as well. His stuff is so dark and you can tell he's drawing from profoundly deep personal experience (his mother was murdered). I always feel like I need a cleansing after reading one of his books - The Big Nowhere is probably my favourite book.

Ellroy's American Tabloid is great, I felt the follow ups veered too much into his short sharp sentence style. His stuff is dark, but not too grim. if you want grim, tru David Peace's Red Riding series. You'll need a bath with a bottle of Dettol afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That’s one I’d always mention if someone asks me for a “recommendation”.

Haven’t read it myself, of course, have far better books to be reading but it is something the average would reader enjoy.

what are you doing recommending books you havn’t read and then thumbing down your nose at them? Far more honest and less unpleasant to have the courage of your convictions and recommend a book you actually have read and then be able to discuss and stand up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Bought Lord of the Rings trilogy (never watched the films or read the books before) so gonna have a very fantasy-themed Christmas seasom

what are you doing recommending books you havn’t read and then thumbing down your nose at them? Far more honest and less unpleasant to have the courage of your convictions and recommend a book you actually have read and then be able to discuss and stand up for it.

They ask. Look, some people aren’t going to “enjoy” Unberto Eco so you give them Dan Brown.

It’s the same with music, there are some people you’d tell to listen to the Tool but others you’d “recommend” Opeth.

And then they’re are some who are just ‘Best Of...’ types. You’d be doing them a disservice recommend any “serious” works.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They ask. Look, some people aren’t going to “enjoy” Unberto Eco so you give them Dan Brown.

It’s the same with music, there are some people you’d tell to listen to the Tool but others you’d “recommend” Opeth.

And then they’re are some who are just ‘Best Of...’ types. You’d be doing them a disservice recommend any “serious” works.

Your use of the term "better books" coupled with "average reader" makes you sound like a snob though. As this is about the only thread I have ever seen on boards that remains friendly and civil please leave that kind of talk out

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Your use of the term "better books" coupled with "average reader" makes you sound like a snob though. As this is about the only thread I have ever seen on boards that remains friendly and civil please leave that kind of talk out

Apologies, let’s get back to talking about books with “Auschwitz” in the title.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Regis779 wrote: »
    Bought Lord of the Rings trilogy (never watched the films or read the books before) so gonna have a very fantasy-themed Christmas seasom

Was the same, amazing, will add to the films if/when you do see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Just finished reading David Copperfield, read it b4 a couple of times.

Slow start but it's beautifully written and much more complex than I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m currently listening to Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart on audible. It’s absolutely fantastic. The story Is weaved so expertly you nearly feel part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Just finished the epic of Gilgamesh, will probably start Homers The Iliad next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Discovered a Readers Digest book in the attic with short stories from 1986.Currently reading a story called the Great Circle, about a sea faring race and the tragedy that happens. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Columbine, by Dave Cullen. Basically a very detailed account of the school shooting and all of the background to it. Very interesting from a criminal psychology point of view. The book is very well written, it's a good read.

Four Past Midnight by Stephen King.
    Just finished The Langoliers and it was very enjoyable except for
    the devestating and scary entity turns out to be a load of beach balls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
    Ending felt very anti climatic.

Reading now Bradbury's Farenheit 451

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alec Bello's

Really love this so far!
    Stories related to brazilian players footballs history in brazil and how it is basically a religion and way of life.
    The first story with the players in the Faroes is a cracking read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

Have they reached LV-426 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Columbine, by Dave Cullen. Basically a very detailed account of the school shooting and all of the background to it. Very interesting from a criminal psychology point of view. The book is very well written, it's a good read.

Read that quite a while ago. IIRC the book gets a bit of criticism for the author portraying Eric Harris as more outgoing (good with women etc) than he was in reality while portraying Dylan Klebold in a less flattering light. He clearly had preconceived ideas about the two going into the book and the stuff he writes about Harris almost makes it look like he developed some kind of infatuation with him.

Stephen King: Secret Window, Secret Garden: Quite good but I saw the film so it spoiled it a bit for me.
    The Library Policeman: Classic King. Reminded me of Something Wicked This Way Comes. Some very creepy characters.
    Sun Dog: Best of the three. Very ominous feel to it, someone being drawn into something evil and losing their self control. King has done this type of story several times he and is very good at it.
    Pop Merrill, Ace's uncle is an excellent character. He really makes the story come alive is what I mean to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Stephen King is a great storyteller but he writes dialogue like he's never heard real human beings interact before.

“I know what you mean, jellybean.”

He writes characters saying **** like this in every book.

Stephen King is a great storyteller but he writes dialogue like he's never heard real human beings interact before.

Talk is cheap: I want ACTION! :p

Bit of escapism is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Talk is cheap: I want ACTION! :p

Bit of escapism is always welcome.

Not the kind of action from the end of IT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thats a reflection of 50s small town America where he grew up.

I know someone who says something like that, but he says ‘What's the scene, jellybean?’. Been saying it for years.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Enjoyed the Ratline although it was a bit heavy going at the end.

I needed an easier read after that so got the new Graham Norton book.

Its his best one yet, much better than I thought it would be.

Next up is Where the Crawdads sing.

Hope its not overrated.

Advertisement