Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clifden Flooding

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hope everyone is ok over there. Some serious damage has been done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Apparently sitka spruce plantations and associated drainage works a few km upstream of Clifden are likely to have contributed - previously boggy land wouldn't have drained so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

First time ever my mouth has actually dropped open, holy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was this forecast?

timmyntc wrote: »
    Apparently sitka spruce plantations and associated drainage works a few km upstream of Clifden are likely to have contributed - previously boggy land wouldn't have drained so quickly.

Would boggy land not already be saturated and worse? I've no idea, just an assumption.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Would boggy land not already be saturated and worse? I've no idea, just an assumption.

It's the difference between a sponge (boggy land) and a cloth (plantation land) one can absorb a lot and release it slowly the other is saturated very quickly and absorbs no more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

These 1 in 40 year events seem to be occurring 1 in 40 days now.

• Advertisement

Was this forecast?

Connacht was not included in last nights warning it went up very quick this morning but either way what could you have done with that amount of rain. I never saw such colors that were on the radar in the early hours.

So they failed to predict the track of the most intense rainfall.

So they failed to predict the track of the most intense rainfall.

Love to know how much rain fell last night must have been some amount to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Love to know how much rain fell last night must have been some amount to do that

Not much before midnight but then 2 heavy hours after that at Mace Head.

3am report was 8mm
    5am report was 7.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Has Clifden ever flooded like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Connemara National Park recorded 59mm between midnight and 8 a.m. this morning with a daily total of 59.6mm to now.

Maam Valley had 47mm in the same period with a daily total of 54.8mm to now.

https://wow.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Renvyle (north Connemara) had 48.3mm up to now. Newport in Mayo 39.6mm while I'm at 33.5mm now and it's just starting lash down again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

those showers look very intense moving into Galway and Mayo.They could easily dump another 5 to 10mm of rainfall on top of everything that fell last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Terrible not including Galway in the weather warning. Only updated at 9am but we had heavy rain overnight (Letterfrack) and had floods already by that time.

Gonzo wrote: »
    those showers look very intense moving into Galway and Mayo.They could easily dump another 5 to 10mm of rainfall on top of everything that fell last night.

Jez just checked them now and they are growing in intensity could be a lot more flooding, hope not heart goes out to anyone who gets their house damaged by weather.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Has Clifden ever flooded like this before?

Some person on local radio who lives in Clifden said that the river has never flooded like this in his lifetime, so something wrong upstream

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

40mm in SW Donegal so far today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://slowtheflow.net/hardcastle-crags-our-most-successful-project-to-date/

they are looking seriously at issues like this in the steep sided valleys in west yorkshire

Coillte never seem to learn anything.

It's the difference between a sponge (boggy land) and a cloth (plantation land) one can absorb a lot and release it slowly the other is saturated very quickly and absorbs no more

Thanks for explaining, never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭ratracer

http://slowtheflow.net/hardcastle-crags-our-most-successful-project-to-date/

they are looking seriously at issues like this in the steep sided valleys in west yorkshire

Coillte never seem to learn anything.

Coillte, and by extension the Irish taxpayer are currently paying €15k a day in fines to the EU for the last 3-4 months for the poor management of uplands in Derrybrien in South Galway, which has been responsible for flooding there for years since the building of wind farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They've been warning about this for ages. Our bare uplands and stripped bogs will only lead to more and more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

timmyntc wrote: »

The forestry plantations will have reduced the floodwater peak from what it would have been otherwise - the root systems slow down the runoff. Now, if there was a large swathe of recently felled forestry, that would revert the behaviour to pre-forestry runoff speeds.

Bogs can take in a lot of water for sure, but only up to a certain rate. Above that rainfall rate the extra runs straight off. Source? I've a mate who is a forestry manager, and I've also observed this behaviour after 25 years of watching floodwater levels on Irish streams with my kayaking background.

I would suspect that if it were not for the forestry work, there would have been a mudflow/bogflow situation with the peat mobilising similar to that at the Dawn of Hope Bridge in Sligo and that would have been significantly worse for the Clifden residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Also - the videos linked above would have been *so* much better in landscape mode instead of the dumb portrait mode most people record in. We would then have been able to get a better scale of the damage and destruction without a need to pan around as much.

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »
    Also - the videos linked above would have been *so* much better in landscape mode instead of the dumb portrait mode most people record in. We would then have been able to get a better scale of the damage and destruction without a need to pan around as much.

It's beyond me why people film in portrait mode it's a waste of a good capture of any incident

Advertisement