Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Thanks for that, will update here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

Hi folks!
    hope everyone is well?

This is just my annual reminder for the concentration affected who are in college/will be attending, to register with your disability service., or re-introduce yourself if you've been avoiding them!

There is a disability officer in every higher education institution in the country. You could avail of exam accommodations (extra time, smaller room), class accommodations (tech/software to make up for missing bits, extensions), and even Occupational Therapy if you are attending TCD, UCD, DCU, NUIG, UCC or CorkIT. Its well worth your time, and if you don't have a diagnosis, it may be worth your financial input to get a diagnosis to avail of the above.

If you don't want to go down that route, or don't yet have a diagnosis, most colleges have a student learning department, which can offer tech, notes, tutorials, writing centre and even 1:1 meetings to help you improve your learning skills and just make college easier. There are loads of supports out here for students, so take advantage of them!

Any Qs give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ttrreeww

I'm looking to be assessed for ADHD and have a few questions.
    I have used my brother's ritalin prescription in the past and my family think how it worked for me confirms I have ADHD because the same problems were alleviated. But could mentioning that I've tried ritalin illegally bar me from getting that medication in the future?
    Any specific experience with Stephanie Bourke from Blackrock Clinic?

Last question, I'm wondering do all the consultants give general cognitive assessments, or do some offer ADHD-specific? Do all of them encompass a screening for autism and IQ tests? I was told by a consultant that the person in St. Pats who assesses for ADHD has to do an overall cognitive assessment, not just ADHD, including both these things. For personal reasons I definitely don't want to know my IQ, and as an aside I'd also like to avoid knowing if I have autism or not if possible. I'm not implying there's anything wrong with autism, it's only the IQ thing that I feel feel is demeaning and I'd feel **** about even if I score above average. I'm fine thinking that I might be autistic, I'd just rather not be told where exactly I am on the autistic spectrum. Sorry for the little blog I just don't want someone to misinterpret and think I'm implying autism is something to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

ttrreeww wrote: »
    I have used my brother's ritalin prescription in the past and my family think how it worked for me confirms I have ADHD because the same problems were alleviated. But could mentioning that I've tried ritalin illegally bar me from getting that medication in the future?

Last question, I'm wondering do all the consultants give general cognitive assessments, or do some offer ADHD-specific? Do all of them encompass a screening for autism and IQ tests? I was told by a consultant that the person in St. Pats who assesses for ADHD has to do an overall cognitive assessment, not just ADHD, including both these things. For personal reasons I definitely don't want to know my IQ, and as an aside I'd also like to avoid knowing if I have autism or not if possible. I'm not implying there's anything wrong with autism, it's only the IQ thing that I feel feel is demeaning and I'd feel **** about even if I score above average. I'm fine thinking that I might be autistic, I'd just rather not be told where exactly I am on the autistic spectrum. Sorry for the little blog I just don't want someone to misinterpret and think I'm implying autism is something to be ashamed of.

I wouldn't mention that you've taken your brother's meds because he is breaking the law in giving them to you, not you. You should definitely make it clear that you have close relatives with ADHD, because that'll show that you know what you're talking about. And the heritability for ADHD is about 85%.

Dr. Bourke is the psych I go to myself. She is good. Others think she's not that flexible because she won't give any credence to anything that is not 100% scientifically proven (such as CBD oil) but I see that as a good thing.

I think assessing for co-occuring conditions would depend on the psych and their areas of speciality. Why not ask HADD who they'd recommend?

Hi ttrreeww,

It's great that you are getting ready to get an assessment. Tell them about your brother, not the prescription as Lucat recommends. High correlation among families, so this is strong evidence even before assessment begins.

IQ tests are done when testing for ADHD to rule out mild general learning disabilities as the cause for reduced concentration etc. If done, your IQ results would be part of the report, but it's normally the WAIS, so the IQ breakdown is not the same as Stanford Binet (the typical IQ score you see on the telly or when referring to geniuses etc). Not everywhere does it here, and from what i can see would be more typically done with children, as it's harder to ascertain their general intelligence and rule out mgld. That's the way it was when I worked in CAMHS anyway. Pats is the only place i know that specifically does it - they have also demanded brain scans for people in the past before they will confirm ADHD diagnosis, which is not really evidence based, so that's weird. Anyway they have stopped doing assessments for this altogether for the time being. I don't know why - it is a literal cash cow.

I don't know if Stephanie Bourke does them - others on this thread will know, but i doubt it. They are unlikely to be done by a psychiatrist in this country, much more the domain of psychology.

No where will "screen" for autism if you attend for an ADHD assessment unfortunately, although an experienced clinician like myself can spot even a subtle case without doing any specific tests. You would also not be told "where you lie" on the spectrum. This is not a thing. You would be told you would qualify for a diagnosis for the following reasons e.g. restricted interests/routines as shown in fixed interest in trains etc.
    If you look at the literature, and the discussions in the media, you will learn that there is a huge amount of overlap in neurodiversity - people with ADHD are likely to have another condition such as dyslexia, asd, dyspraxia, tourettes etc. About 70% of people with ADHD are likely to experience a mental health condition also. About half the people I see with ADHD have ASD also in my opinion, although only a few have that diagnosis. All that being said, I see a lot of reports, and often clinicians won't go there with the diagnosis even when they clearly make an inference to it, especially if they are not well versed in the above, or are just an ADHD "expert" (anyone who claims to be an expert in one of these conditions but failed to consider co-occurring conditions is not an expert or is a sharlatan)

By the same token, it is negligent in my opinion to fail to assess and diagnose fully for any physical and mental health conditions, and depending on the profession, a practitioner could be sued on that basis. It is important to know if you are on the spectrum also for example - ADHD medication is less effective for people who are also on the spectrum.

that being said, if you tell your prospective doctor from the get go, they may not look too hard, but I really think it's in people's interests to know as if a person is both, that offers a unique set of challenges that need to be addressed.

any questions about this, just shout, lot of experience here on this thread, and several at least with dual diagnosis

ttrreeww wrote: »

• Advertisement

Hi everyone
    I'm just doing my regular trawl of how are people getting assessed? Who is doing it? How reliable are they? Psychiatrist or Psychologist? How long waiting?

a few of my reliable sources for assessment have dried up and I need to know if anyone has found any new Drs or psychologists they would recommend?

hope everyone is well! And of course, if you're in college, register with your disability service!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Found this thread at a time in my life I am really struggling. Particularly with the potential diagnosis I may have been a long term suffered with ADHD. I am 29, soon to turn 30.

My life has been Chaos, no other way to describe it. I'm a father of one son with my partner. I think a common theme with adult ADHD diagnosis, having not been diagnosed earlier in life, the diagnosis originates when a parent notices certain behaviors in their own children that one can then relate to. Well this is me right now as we are facing some challenges with my son.

I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for what I can now describe as a life time but more evidently in the last 6 months where my life has litreally taken a cliff dive for the worse. Trying to pick up the pieces now, in a new job, saving for a home to provide my ever deserving partner & son. The anxiety of holding myself together to see myself through at least another 12 months saving to hit that goal is so overwhelming on top of the damage I have caused over the last year of my life.

I'm really looking for help and having spotted a poster several pages back who received a diagnosis at 40, I would be ever grateful for any advice where I can begin to look to trying put a formal diagnosis on my life of chaos.

Some points that hit home on my potential 'self diagnosis'
    -Distracted easily
    -Emotional sensitivity
    -Emotionally unregulated, unable to control
    -Difficulties learning
    -Education has always been a struggle, somehow winged school & college (after number of years)
    -Mind racing (Always has done)
    -Relationship issues
    -Friendship difficulties
    -Financial difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dara93

Anyone know how long Dr Bourke's waiting list is? Or know of any other psychiatrists around?

I have a diagnosis from a while ago but never looked at medication. Now that I am there doesn't seem to be many options.

I'm hoping to have time to ring around a few places over the next fortnight, and see what's available, waiting times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ckeh

Dear all,
    Just a quick comment about Adult ADHD.
    As you know, ADHD is a condition diagnosed in children and adolescent, according to the currently commonly used mental health diagnositic classification (DSMV, ICD10)

The current criteria are:
    i) Symptoms before the age of 12 year-old
    ii) Should be evident in all settings (this should be across all life activities), so home, school, extra-curricular. This is to differentiate between issues arising only at home or only at school, which might be more behavioural and not warrant a diagnostic. That might be why, accounts from other people should be needed as an adult.
    iii) For a diagnosis, 9 symptoms are checked (DSMV) in 2 different groups:
    1. Hyperactivity-Impulsivity
    2. Inattention

- All issues might continue in adulthood, however:
    Hyperactivity usually decreases with time
    Impulsivity might also decrease somewhat.
    Inattention is very biological and difficult to manage, could remain in adulthood.

- Differences boys/girls: often, more visible hyperactivity for boys.

- ADHD medications are very well studied in children and very efficacious, if the diagnosis is right. The idea is for the child to apply his/her intellectual abilities better and follow peers in their school achievements, as untreated symptoms can be very limiting.

- Various theories about ADHD and why meds work are out there, one being an imbalance of neurotransmitters impacting the executive decision centre, which might be "re-balanced" by ADHD meds.

- ADHD might run in families, and adults/parents of ADHD children are often undiagnosed

- Adult Psychiatry is very slowly at getting organised to assess and treat adults/parents but a lot of obstacles remain, including adverse beliefs, and lack of knowledge.

Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Hi all.

I've found this thread recently and have been reading through all of the posts. I will introduce myself here. Some may recognise me from my posts in the Anxiety/Depression thread that I visit occasionally.

I suspect that I may have ADHD and/or High Functioning Autism. I have been researching this for the past year and I can relate to what many others here have discussed, especially with the hyperfocus and tracking of time.

I have always struggled with coping with life in general, and at the age of 27 I have never successfully been employed. I have attended various PLC courses and attempted Third Level since finishing school since then, but I have never been able to plan ahead and I have always lacked confidence. The only thing that is questioning ADHD for me is that I was always well behaved in school and in childhood I don't think there was concrete evidence to suspect having it. I had no friends in school and I never understood why. The only social interaction I had was during lunch when I would stand with a certain group, but even then I never spoke or engaged in conversation.

When I was 17 I went for an MRI scan to rule out any physical health issues as at this time I had a breakdown and was concerned about myself. I was referred to a Psychologist/Psychiatrist (can't remember which) and I was diagnosed with Migraine. I suffered from many headaches as a teenager and was prescribed Amitriptyline. I realised at this moment that I always struggled to explain my situation and relied on my mother to complete sentences/speak for me. I always found it easier to describe what my thoughts are through a written format.

When I turned 18 I completed a FETAC Level 5 course in Multimedia Studies. I did very well despite it being a poor experience due to the teaching standard. I then progressed to a Level 8 Degree in Creative Digital Media. I dropped out after one year, and during that time I had attended the Campus Counselling Services. The first few months of the year had been dreadful as I had been in an accident and was hospitalised for a week. I also suffered major panic attacks and was constantly on edge. At this stage I was so low that I was referred to Mental Health Services. I could not leave the house, and was assigned a Home Care Team for some time.

A few months passed and after several consultations I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Clinical Depression and Avoidant Personality Disorder. At the time I accepted this but I believe that these are issues that are exasperated due to underlying causes. I was now prescribed with Lexapro but as that did not suit me was switched over to Sertraline.

I completed another FETAC Level 5 in 2013 and did well. In 2015 I attended a Jobs Expo and heard about the National Learning Network. I attended there from 2015 - 2017 and excelled in my studies except for Maths, but still managed to get a Merit in that subject. Another FETAC (now QQI) Level 5 Major Award behind me. I am terrible at motivating myself and I surprised myself this time. After this I was unwell again and had been referred to the MHS for a second time. I raised my concerns at this stage but both my GP and Psychiatrist brushed me off and put it down to Anxiety. My medication dosage was increased.

In 2018 I managed to get a position in a Tech Apprenticeship and was sponsored by a large company. I lasted a year before dropping out and that brings me to the present. I am now participating in a TÚS programme and I cannot see myself lasting there either. I have weaned off my medication slowly since August of last year as I was sick of the side effects and I never felt any benefit from taking it. I am now completely off medication and have noticed no change so I know that the medication was not helping.

One more note before I finish. I have always been clumsy and struggled with coordination, so much so that I struggle with basic tasks. It's like I have to 'work out' what I am doing all the time, and any distraction will completely throw me off. I find it extremely difficult to follow instructions aurally. I also believe that I may have sensory issues. I cannot stand bright lights or loud sounds, and I hate crowds or being the center of attention. As an infant I was also misdiagnosed as being deaf.

I have been saving to see someone private and I want to gather as much information about my past history and write a report before I make an appointment so that I have shown that I am serious about it. I am terrible at communication so at least this way I can review my report once written to ensure I haven't missed anything. From observing my father over the years and his behaviour I suspect he may have ADHD/HFA but was never diagnosed as there was no knowledge or recognition back in the day.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I know it is a huge amount of information but I want to get to the bottom of this. I hope this post is within guidelines. Also if anyone has a suggestion of who is best to contact that may be able to help me on my journey I would greatly appreciate it. :)

P.S. This took an hour to write. There is much more I could have written but I tried to keep this concise.

Dara93 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long Dr Bourke's waiting list is? Or know of any other psychiatrists around?

I have a diagnosis from a while ago but never looked at medication. Now that I am there doesn't seem to be many options.

I spoke with Dr Bourkes admin this week. Waiting list is a year currently.

Hi everyone

i've spent a bit of time ringing around, and here's where we're at. I've included the autism bit and where combined are available, that i know of. And waiting list, where they've told me. I've just included Dublin, as i've not had time to ring around further than that, and i know that Dublin may be a good option regardless of where you are in the country

Any Questions give me a shout

Adult ADHD Assessment:

• Seek a referral to HSE Community Adult Mental Health Team through GP [Public – wait list indefinite]

Clinical Psychology – Thorough Assessment – No medication prescribed
    • Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, €895 (+ €500 if cognitive needed) [2-3 months waiting list]
    http://www.adultandchildtherapy.ie/contact-us/ ~€950 [1-2 months waiting list]
    https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/price-list/ €1000 [1-2 months waiting list]

Psychiatry – Assessment & medication can be prescribed
    • Bergin Psychological Services (psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total (may be additional for BP/ECG). [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: £300, £300, £100 [total £700] 00442895 212294 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: Combined ADHD & Autism Assessment: £1500 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Stephanie Bourke – Blackrock Clinic 2-3 appointments ~€500 [1 year waiting list]
    • Saint John of God Hospital Out Patient Services, Stillorgan, Co Dublin Tel: 01 2771400

Adult ASD Assessment:

• Seek a referral to HSE Community Adult Mental Health Team through GP [Public – wait list indefinite]

• Bergin Psychological Services (Psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr. Eimer Philbin Bowman: Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. T: +353 (01) 668-1108 (Mon/Tue) Diagnostic assessment for adults ONLY not previously diagnosed: [2-3 months waiting list]
    http://www.adultandchildtherapy.ie/contact-us/ Clinical Psychology ~€1500 [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: £1200 [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: Combined ADHD & Autism Assessment: £1500 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, then €1100 [2-3 months waiting list]
    https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/price-list/ €950 [1-2 months waiting list]

Hi Alanzo,

fair play for reading through all the posts (are you sure you have ADHD :P)

First of all, well done on all your academic achievments, you sound very well educated! A couple of things, what happened when you were working, like what were the problems, or was it mainly the anxiety?

The clumsiness and having to work out what you're going to do would tally closely with dyspraxia, but can be seen in the context of autism and adhd also. With neurodiversity, there can be a lot of overlap between conditions, and traits mimicing each other. Typically in Ireland an OT would assess for Dyspraxia, and a multi disciplinary team for autism, and a psychologist or psychoatrist for ADHD. Really easy for people to get organised, right?!

See my post above for ADHD and autism diagnoses, somewhere like Arduna or Insight centre might be good for you, as they will do an initial session (€100 or €150), identifying which assessments would be most beneficial, before doing full assessment. I'd recommend this for people who are still sort of unsure if it's pure ADHD, or whether there might be a few things going on

Any questions, let us know Alanzo!

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I've found this thread recently and have been reading through all of the posts. I will introduce myself here. Some may recognise me from my posts in the Anxiety/Depression thread that I visit occasionally.

I suspect that I may have ADHD and/or High Functioning Autism. I have been researching this for the past year and I can relate to what many others here have discussed, especially with the hyperfocus and tracking of time.

I have always struggled with coping with life in general, and at the age of 27 I have never successfully been employed. I have attended various PLC courses and attempted Third Level since finishing school since then, but I have never been able to plan ahead and I have always lacked confidence. The only thing that is questioning ADHD for me is that I was always well behaved in school and in childhood I don't think there was concrete evidence to suspect having it. I had no friends in school and I never understood why. The only social interaction I had was during lunch when I would stand with a certain group, but even then I never spoke or engaged in conversation.

When I was 17 I went for an MRI scan to rule out any physical health issues as at this time I had a breakdown and was concerned about myself. I was referred to a Psychologist/Psychiatrist (can't remember which) and I was diagnosed with Migraine. I suffered from many headaches as a teenager and was prescribed Amitriptyline. I realised at this moment that I always struggled to explain my situation and relied on my mother to complete sentences/speak for me. I always found it easier to describe what my thoughts are through a written format.

When I turned 18 I completed a FETAC Level 5 course in Multimedia Studies. I did very well despite it being a poor experience due to the teaching standard. I then progressed to a Level 8 Degree in Creative Digital Media. I dropped out after one year, and during that time I had attended the Campus Counselling Services. The first few months of the year had been dreadful as I had been in an accident and was hospitalised for a week. I also suffered major panic attacks and was constantly on edge. At this stage I was so low that I was referred to Mental Health Services. I could not leave the house, and was assigned a Home Care Team for some time.

A few months passed and after several consultations I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Clinical Depression and Avoidant Personality Disorder. At the time I accepted this but I believe that these are issues that are exasperated due to underlying causes. I was now prescribed with Lexapro but as that did not suit me was switched over to Sertraline.

I completed another FETAC Level 5 in 2013 and did well. In 2015 I attended a Jobs Expo and heard about the National Learning Network. I attended there from 2015 - 2017 and excelled in my studies except for Maths, but still managed to get a Merit in that subject. Another FETAC (now QQI) Level 5 Major Award behind me. I am terrible at motivating myself and I surprised myself this time. After this I was unwell again and had been referred to the MHS for a second time. I raised my concerns at this stage but both my GP and Psychiatrist brushed me off and put it down to Anxiety. My medication dosage was increased.

In 2018 I managed to get a position in a Tech Apprenticeship and was sponsored by a large company. I lasted a year before dropping out and that brings me to the present. I am now participating in a TÚS programme and I cannot see myself lasting there either. I have weaned off my medication slowly since August of last year as I was sick of the side effects and I never felt any benefit from taking it. I am now completely off medication and have noticed no change so I know that the medication was not helping.

One more note before I finish. I have always been clumsy and struggled with coordination, so much so that I struggle with basic tasks. It's like I have to 'work out' what I am doing all the time, and any distraction will completely throw me off. I find it extremely difficult to follow instructions aurally. I also believe that I may have sensory issues. I cannot stand bright lights or loud sounds, and I hate crowds or being the center of attention. As an infant I was also misdiagnosed as being deaf.

I have been saving to see someone private and I want to gather as much information about my past history and write a report before I make an appointment so that I have shown that I am serious about it. I am terrible at communication so at least this way I can review my report once written to ensure I haven't missed anything. From observing my father over the years and his behaviour I suspect he may have ADHD/HFA but was never diagnosed as there was no knowledge or recognition back in the day.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I know it is a huge amount of information but I want to get to the bottom of this. I hope this post is within guidelines. Also if anyone has a suggestion of who is best to contact that may be able to help me on my journey I would greatly appreciate it. :)

P.S. This took an hour to write. There is much more I could have written but I tried to keep this concise.

Many thanks for reading Feu.

When I said I read everything I meant that I read key points that were of interest and skimmed through most of the other posts. :P

Regarding me being in a work situation, I can never follow through with simple instructions. I am constantly in a 'brain fog' and I always forget what was just said to me. I suffer terribly with anxiety and feeling down all of the time as well. If more than one person approaches me at a time or there are conversations happening everywhere then I completely shut down. I find it extremely difficult to do even basic tasks. I feel that I've lost the ability to speak to people as I could never do eye contact. If someone asks me how I am, I reply with the same response every time 'not too bad.' If the conversation continues I get lost and don't know how to react. I also get frustrated when asked to do something, even if it is something mundane and I have no idea why.

I do fidget a lot like having a pen in my hand, shaking my leg, flapping my hands on occasion, feeling restless at times.

With regards to hyperfocus, for example I could be reading posts on here all day or play games for long periods of time without realising how much time has passed. If I start researching something that interests me presently, whether I've heard or read something be it on anything, I could easily look up everything about it for hours and not realise. I can go from sleeping to much to not sleeping at all, and I've never had a stable routine with regards to meal times, personal hygiene etc. I can also think of something and then instantly forget what it was. I am always misplacing things as well, and I've found labelling in the past to help.

I also can't seem to give my own opinion, due to fear and always agree to what is being said to me. Regardless if it's through text or conversation and whether or not I agree. I go into isolation regularly and I am very sensitive if things are not done what I percieve as the right way or if something is said to me. I've always feared what other people think of me.

I am definitely going to follow your advice. :) Apologies for the text wall but I am trying to think of everything and don't want to forget anything. This has been bothering me for a long time and I want to reslove it as at the moment I am not seeing a way forward.

I'd just like to post an update.

I went to my GP on Friday as I knew I was getting a sinus infection. I was prescribed antibiotics. While there I brought up my concerns. I was told that this was just a 'blip' with my anxiety and was suggested to increase my dosage of medication. I explained that I had tapered off the medication and have not taken them since August of last year. I was then told that I've tried no medication in the past but it has not worked out. I was firm and said that I know that medication was doing nothing to help, and that I tapered off correctly this time by lowering the dosage slowly over 6-8 weeks. I was determined and tried my best to explain my situation, but as usual it came out completely wrong.

I was feeling very low and it was then suggested that I make an appointment with Pieta House. I have done that and have an initial consultation next Thursday, but I feel they are not the right services for me and that it was wrong to contact them. I was asked over the phone was I feeling suicidal and I responded with 'I don't know'. Then was asked on a scale of 1-10 how I felt and I just said 6. I know that I am not in this mindset at all and I feel terrible. I was frustrated as I was unable to explain to my GP and maybe it came across wrong.

Can I refer myself for a private assessment or is a referral from a GP essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dara93

I went to my GP on Friday as I knew I was getting a sinus infection. I was prescribed antibiotics. While there I brought up my concerns. I was told that this was just a 'blip' with my anxiety and was suggested to increase my dosage of medication. I explained that I had tapered off the medication and have not taken them since August of last year. I was then told that I've tried no medication in the past but it has not worked out. I was firm and said that I know that medication was doing nothing to help, and that I tapered off correctly this time by lowering the dosage slowly over 6-8 weeks. I was determined and tried my best to explain my situation, but as usual it came out completely wrong.

Can I refer myself for a private assessment or is a referral from a GP essential?

That's something that I came up against a couple of times. I think that it is really important to find a GP that hears what you are saying. I couldn't see my original gp ever taking the diagnosis seriously. I went through a couple of Drs to find someone who would look past my depression.

Something that also helped was to write everything down. All the potential symptoms that I'd had in the last few weeks and some examples from when I was a kid to back them up. I had all my main points planned in advance. Read from them if you need. It's something that I do for all of my appointments now, I always struggle to express myself the way I want to if I don't.

I'm in the process of doing that at the moment.

I've been reluctant to try a different GP. I don't like change, I suffer severe anxiety when change occurs, and apart from that many GP's in my surrounding area are not taking new patients as they are overworked and are struggling as is.

It is going to take me time to produce a report that I feel will show why I am concerned and why I think I have been misdiagnosed in the past/never diagnosed as a child. I have gathered all medical reports/diagnosis relating to myself and I have also school reports, however they are quite brief and don't really mention anything. One trait of mine is that I like to keep a record of everything, so information like this is relatively kept safe and is available.

There are several aspects that I have remembered when going through childhood that I think went unnoticed. I am writing down key points as they come to me. I will then expand further, to explain a certain situation for example.

Apart from suspecting ADHD/Asperger's, I also suspect Dyspraxia and other sensory issues. One example was from childhood when I was attempting to cycle a BMX. Not only was I struggling to maintain balance, the handlebars were loose and had completely fell off the bike. I was still 'holding' the handlebars even though they had dropped on the road and could not figure out how to stop the bike with my foot. At the end of the road I hit the kerb and ended up face first into the grass patch.

Hi Alonzo,
    Unfortunately this is all too common. Several people on here have spoken about this.

I should have made it clear on the list I posted above, you only need GP referral for Dr Tareen in Belfast, for general HSE adult team, and I think Dr Bourke. Any of the others, you can just ring or email, and make an appointment, and as Dara93 says, write whatever you can down ahead of time. Doesn't have to be exhaustive, just what you wrote in your first post above, and importantly any questions.

From what you've written in several posts, i would say you're not a clear cut case, so I'd probably recommend the arduna, or insight, or Dr haverkampf might be be good actually.

Don't give up hope, let us know how you get on! There is support here

I was feeling very low and it was then suggested that I make an appointment with Pieta House. I have done that and have an initial consultation next Thursday, but I feel they are not the right services for me and that it was wrong to contact them. I was asked over the phone was I feeling suicidal and I responded with 'I don't know'. Then was asked on a scale of 1-10 how I felt and I just said 6. I know that I am not in this mindset at all and I feel terrible. I was frustrated as I was unable to explain to my GP and maybe it came across wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,
    Thought I would offer my tuppence worth on what's helped me since I was diagnosed over 5 years ago with ADHD at age 39.I awlays felt less than and could not understand as to why I could not achieve what I knew I wanted,it was the processthat was too difficult to work out, if that makes sense?I failed miserably in school proving to myself I was not capable.Years of shame ensued with life events in which I failed at confirming my feeling that I could not do anything right.I had an eating disorder, and lost a fair amount of money through my failed business which still has repurcussions to this day.I appreciate ,life can be hard for everyone and I am not sloley blaming ADHD however additional challenges thrown in can really turn your life upside down if not addressed.I was only diagnosed a few years ago so was not aware at the time how it was impacting my life.

Listen ..Im married (can be v challenging!) but getting there!3 kids (Im consistently inconsistent) and coming to the end of my degree in studying to become a counsellor/psychotherapist (I luckily found the thing im passionate about and even though I have found it very difficult I have persisted and will qualify in a few months!).I do work very part time for myself and will continue to do so until my counselling career is established.(The sales part of my part time role I do love however the admin part has broken me down).Honestly,Life with ADHD Is no joke in fact often really really hard and with that comes anxiety and fear of how I will actaully do it. What many appear to do in life seamlessly is in itself an additional anxiety.
    What has helped me navigate through is gaining an understanding of the condtion and more importantly ,myself.If I apply a strength based perspective I tend to be more positive.I am on ADHD medication which helps me personally,but appreciate its not for everyone. I try to be just a little kinder to myself,more compassionate.I laugh a little more ,play music louder than most and often dance like im a Duracell bunny. I would say my kidies descrive me as fun! For me its to appreciate the good it can also bring,it does not make up for the pain it has caused but allows me see it from a slightly more positive perspective.
    The very best of luck, keep perservering to get an assessment ,if you feel its worth it it most probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Hello all,

I'm a little frustrated..

I suspect I have ADHD (as do all my immediate family members).

I went down to my GP about it, he said something along the lines of 'I never heard of someone having ADHD but not being hyper, it's a key part of it'.

I mentioned about pursuing a diagnosis, he said how I could probably get on a public waiting list and go from there.
    I told him I've private health insurance and he said 'okay I'll have a look at some psychologists, and get back to you.. I don't want to just send you to anyone..' so I gave him my number and he got back to me a few days later.

He suggested the psychotherapist who's set up shop in the clinic.

I'm going to be brutally honest - I think ADHD has been the major contributing factor that's lead to most of my issues, the majority of which pertain to school and college.

I'm worried about how I'm doing at college, I'm passing but as always I can not bring myself to study despite my best efforts.
    I want to get it sorted, I want to know if I have it or not, and if I do what I can do now to fix it.

I'm all for therapy but to be honest, I want a more immediate solution to my attention.. I'll talk about it on top of that but I don't want to chit chat from now till May and then be told - 'might have ADHD, make an appointment with Dr....' when my exams are the following week.

There is no quick fix, but there are quicker fixes than numerous therapy sessions.
    I get on with my GP, I really respect him but I think he's used to little Johnny bouncing around the office while his mother trys to explain he's having trouble at school.. not a 22 year old college student who's seemingly doing fine.

HI MrMiata

As you will see from many posts in this thread, GPs are typically not experts in ADHD, and this one is no different. Most people are actually combined type ADHD/ADD meaning that they are at times hyper and at times daydreaming/zoned out. This is well noted in the research. Furthermore, as people age, the hyperactivity tends to be turned inward or morphs into hyperactivity of the mind ("racing thoughts"), therefore, he is describing a male child with stereotypical ADHD, not relevant to your situation.

Yes you can be referred to public system - waiting time? Approximately: infinity. You should go private if you can. I have highlighted places i have contacted in the past month, (i have no affiliation with any of these) and Bergin might be particularly relevant to you - as given you are in final year, you may want to try medication. You could get assessed and try medication quite quickly. More information on the assessment process is copied below also, most you can phone directly yourself, without GP referral, it's noted on them where GP letter necessary. I don't know who is covered by what insurance, but many of them will be. If not covered by insurance, you may still feel it's worth paying out of pocket to give you the best chance in final year.

If the psychotherapist in your clinic is knowledgeable about ADHD, then it could be helpful in beginning to learn about how the condition affects you. However, if they are not (more than likely), as some people have noted here, it can be damaging to see someone who does not understand your condition. If you feel your mood is low, or you need help solving problems, then a psychotherapist could be beneficial on those fronts. A psychotherapist CANNOT DIAGNOSE ADHD OR PRESCRIBE MEDICATION

Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any more questions!
    Feu wrote:
    Adult ADHD Assessment:

• Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, €895 (+ €500 if cognitive needed) [2-3 months waiting list]

• Bergin Psychological Services (psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total (may be additional for BP/ECG). [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr Saleem Tareen, Belfast, 00442895 212294: £300, £300, £100 [total £700] 00442895 212294 [GP referral only] [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Dr Stephanie Bourke – Blackrock Clinic 2-3 appointments ~€500 [1 year waiting list]
    • Saint John of God Hospital Out Patient Services, Stillorgan, Co Dublin Tel: 01 2771400

Feu wrote: »
    you should check out your college services, some are very good, and offer occupational therapy (NUIG, UCC, CIT, TCD, DCU, DIT, UCD). ADD can be associated with daydreaming
    You won't be able to register until you have a diagnosis, but most colleges have a "student learning" department where you could at least get a bit of help getting going with assignments etc in the meantime.

Feu wrote:
    Originally Posted by Feu viewpost.gif

A psychiatrist may diagnose you in the one visit, depending who it is. This is a relatively painless process (pacman.gif) just asking questions about your history and behaviour. Again it is worth having a think about this before you go along (although attending unprepared could be seen as symptomatic in itself wink.png]), like what are the functional difficulties you are having, what impacts your day to day life. While many adults will not have "documentation" from when they were at school, it is actually worth bringing along a school report or something if you have one, they are often illuminating! Frequent comments along the lines of "X won't stay in their seat" or "X daydreams through class" can speak to history of these difficulties. If a clinical psychologist does the diagnosing, you will still need to see a psychiatrist or GP before medication is prescribed. Liz i think you said you were going to a psychiatrist, but if being diagnosed by a clinical psychologist, this can take up to 3-4 visits depending on the psychologist. You shouldn't have too many appointments if being diagnosed by a psychiatrist, but there will be follow up if medication is commenced.

If you have not already had your appointment, it is worth thinking ahead of time about whether you want to try medication or not, and discussing any concerns re: medication with the psychiatrist when you meet them. There's lots of research out there on the efficacy, side effects, long term outcomes of medication, mostly on children (i.e. started when kids, followed through to their late 20s/30's). Laurence Greenhill is one of the experts on this, he actually spoke here a couple of years ago, and he really knows his stuff: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18573923.
    This is also a nice article on the European situation for adult treatment, although 6 years old: https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral....471-244X-10-67 That article states that stimulant medication is effective for about 70% of people with ADHD.

Most people say that stimulant medication is very effective in increasing focus, and decreasing distractability. Therefore doing what they want it to do. Some people express side effects such as reduced appetite (and when prescribed to children and adults they will monitor their weight), weight loss, nausea, sleep difficulties, and one of the reasons some people dislike it is a feeling of "not myself", which could be described as being less emotional, feeling "robotic", or even devoid of emotion. There is lots about this online, obviously. Cost really varies, I've seen from €65 a month to over €100, so definitely shop around.

There are lots of behavioural and environmental modifications that you can make apart from or in conjunction with medication. I have a lot to say about this, depending on the difficulties you are having, so maybe I'll hold off unless people are interested smile.png
    In a nutshell, routine routine routine! Routine will help prevent/improve some of the functional difficulties associated with add/adhd e.g. losing things as mentioned by numerous posters above. I think it was also Cannex that mentioned having a little chest of drawers for like bills and things like that, that can so easily be lost or misplaced, and leaves people with ADHD tearing their hair out. Having a set place for things, and then developing the habit of always putting things there, can really work over time. Some people i work with have a literal checklist for when they come in the door, and for when they are leaving the house, to reduce stress and anxiety.

I think as well for people with a recent diagnosis of ADD/ADHD, considering seeing a counsellor, with experience/knowledge of the difficulties associated with ADHD would be beneficial. There is a high incidence of other difficulties correlated with ADD/ADHD particularly depression, anxiety, substance abuse and sleep disturbances. Some people are interested in ADHD coaches which is more of a thing in america smile.png

You could also consider seeing a life coach or OT on a regular basis, who may focus on the more practical side of things then therapy, like helping you set and achieve goals to reach a particular milestone in your life

Disclosing to your workplace can be a really good idea depending on the setting. Sometimes employers can be really supportive, and really open to modifying your role etc, and sometimes it is hard for them to understand the condition. Their attitude can depend on how much "this will affect the business", i.e. if it is quite easy to move you to a slightly different role, that's handy. Having a good idea of how things could be improved for you is helpful when thinking about having this discussion i.e. if i could change x and y, I will be able to work mostly independently, that kind of thing.

MrMiata wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm a little frustrated..

I suspect I have ADHD (as do all my immediate family members).

I went down to my GP about it, he said something along the lines of 'I never heard of someone having ADHD but not being hyper, it's a key part of it'.

I mentioned about pursuing a diagnosis, he said how I could probably get on a public waiting list and go from there.
    I told him I've private health insurance and he said 'okay I'll have a look at some psychologists, and get back to you.. I don't want to just send you to anyone..' so I gave him my number and he got back to me a few days later.

He suggested the psychotherapist who's set up shop in the clinic.

I'm going to be brutally honest - I think ADHD has been the major contributing factor that's lead to most of my issues, the majority of which pertain to school and college.

I'm worried about how I'm doing at college, I'm passing but as always I can not bring myself to study despite my best efforts.
    I want to get it sorted, I want to know if I have it or not, and if I do what I can do now to fix it.

I'm all for therapy but to be honest, I want a more immediate solution to my attention.. I'll talk about it on top of that but I don't want to chit chat from now till May and then be told - 'might have ADHD, make an appointment with Dr....' when my exams are the following week.

There is no quick fix, but there are quicker fixes than numerous therapy sessions.
    I get on with my GP, I really respect him but I think he's used to little Johnny bouncing around the office while his mother trys to explain he's having trouble at school.. not a 22 year old college student who's seemingly doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pnelly

I was diagnosed with ADHD by the HSE Mental Health service at 40 years old after a 22 month long string of assessments. It has changed my life quite a bit to be fair. I had never completed a course of education before and went through several jobs a year. I also had a long list of failed relationships behind me, a history of substance abuse and a list of previous addresses as long as your arm. I was like a tumble weed blowing through the desert.
    Since the diagnosis and treatment with concerta, I have completed the leaving cert and got halfway through a science degree in university (I had to leave because I didn't have money to continue). Everything has not just been a bed of roses or anything but the potential is there now in a way it never was before. My life is a lot more stable.
    My biggest issue was sudden loss of priority, I could be doing fine in a job and suddenly had no idea why I was there, coupled with an overwhelming compulsion to be anywhere except there, and away I would go. This would be followed by several weeks of depression due to another failure.
    If I had been diagnosed 20 years earlier I am convinced I could have done something decent with my life, but at near 50 years old now with little education, little work experience outside physical jobs and a recently discovered congenital heart defect, I see no decent future for myself.
    If you have these issues, chase the source, the sooner the better, don't leave it till you're my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 acvg12

How should I go about getting diagnosed with ADHD? I have already been diagnosed with autism but my psychiatrist never tested me for ADHD even though I've been tested for other comorbidities and I was too shy to suggest it even though I feel like it affects my life the most out of all the conditions I've already been diagnosed with. Can a normal psychiatrist even diagnose me or does it have to be someone that specializes in adult ADHD? I got diagnosed with autism when i was 19 a few months ago but I've been suspected of having it by 2 different psychologists when I was 9 years old, would this make it easier to get an ADHD diagnosis since its common to have both?

Hi acvg

please see up to date details below, most experts should take into account the high crossover (co occurence) with neurodiversities. However, not everyone knows how common this is. Below list should be fine. see my recent post on who you can go to for assessment.

Yes a psychiatrist can diagnose ADHD, and prescribe medication, but the recommended assessment is actually multi disciplinary i.e. more than one discipline, and in my experience, psychiatrists, like most other health professionals in Ireland, are not experts in ADHD. Again, below list should be ok

best of luck, let us know if you have any more questions

Hi everyone

i've spent a bit of time ringing around, and here's where we're at. I've included the autism bit and where combined are available, that i know of. And waiting list, where they've told me. I've just included Dublin, as i've not had time to ring around further than that, and i know that Dublin may be a good option regardless of where you are in the country

Adult ADHD Assessment:

Adult ASD Assessment:

• Bergin Psychological Services (Psychology & Psychiatry) 01-670 5016. Wicklow Street, Dublin Two appointments ~€360 total [1 month waiting list]
    • Dr. Eimer Philbin Bowman: Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. T: +353 (01) 668-1108 (Mon/Tue) Diagnostic assessment for adults ONLY not previously diagnosed: [2-3 months waiting list]
    http://www.adultandchildtherapy.ie/contact-us/ Clinical Psychology ~€1500 [1-2 months waiting list]
    • Arduna Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre (01) 833 2733 http://www.arduna.ie/adhd-assessments.html Initial €100, then €1100 [2-3 months waiting list]
    acvg12 wrote: »
    How should I go about getting diagnosed with ADHD? I have already been diagnosed with autism but my psychiatrist never tested me for ADHD even though I've been tested for other comorbidities and I was too shy to suggest it even though I feel like it affects my life the most out of all the conditions I've already been diagnosed with. Can a normal psychiatrist even diagnose me or does it have to be someone that specializes in adult ADHD? I got diagnosed with autism when i was 19 a few months ago but I've been suspected of having it by 2 different psychologists when I was 9 years old, would this make it easier to get an ADHD diagnosis since its common to have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Candlestick1

Thank you, this thread has come to my attention at just the right time. I have been researching getting myself assessed for ASD. I have spoken to my GP about it and she has left it in my hands to find the right person to do so. I'm based in Cork and have been recommended the Dean Clinic in Cork and Zak Powers in Dublin. Does anyone have any experience of either?

I am 50, female, and returned to education three years ago. I have found study incredibly difficult, especially assignments, although mentally I should have no problem at all, I seem to get mental paralysis and do anything else other than the task at hand. Last year I began to suspect that there could be more to this than just an aversion to study. I have had depression which has fluctuated between coping and bad since my late teens. I am beginning to think that the depression has been a by-product of ADD all along - the medication for that never really worked for me. I've loads of other charactaristics too.

Thank you Feu for all the information. And Pnelly, I hear you.

Hi Candlestick

As far as i know the Dean Clinic won't do an assessment for ADHD or ASD, but I am open to correction on this.

I have listed Bergin Psychological Services (Zak Powers psychologist and Dr Haverkamp psychiatrist), above, but i do not know anyone personally who has been to them, but their process seems robust enough. They are also reasonably priced, unlike a lot of the other options. If you go, please let us know your experience.

Up to 80% of people with AD(H)D have another condition, I think 70% experience mental health difficulties, and it's no surprise when you struggle for many years. It's never too late to get it checked out, as Pnelly noted it made a huge difference. For anyone in college, i strongly encourage you to link in with your disability services, and OT if available (TUD, UCD, DCU, TCD, UCC, NUIG, CIT, NCI imminent). Very few health professionals are expert or even knowledgable in ADHD in Ireland, but disability services and OTs in higher Ed see in the region of 30-50 new people with ADHD annually, (also complex cases with overlapping conditions), so they are really a must to check in with for ADHDers in college.

I also encourage you, if it's not a total rabbit hole to look at the support on Twitter/youtube
    how to adhd: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nPM1_kSZf91ZGkcgy_95Q
    There's an irish youtuber too, can't find his channel just this sec

on Twitter @ErynnBrook, @blkgirllostkeys, @NancyDoylePsych (featured on the show employable me, and the unemployables - well worth a watch)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Candlestick1

Thanks Feu,
    I checked with the Dean Clinic in Cork and they do assessment but the waiting list is long. I'm just wary of Bergin as they are a lot cheaper and there is a short wait time. Could this mean they are not so good?
    Anyways, thanks for all the good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not having much joy in the public mental health service of getting a proper diagnosis. All that is happening is getting appointments every few weeks and be told take these and you be ok (I won't take medication)

Im 30 now and just want a plain answer what I suffer from and then i can take it from there etc

Private may be the only way of going about it. Anyone knw about this and what tests/costs etc

• Advertisement

Hi PTH,

please see below. these are up to date. PLease let us know if you have any specific questions

Hi everyone

Adult ADHD Assessment:

Adult ASD Assessment:

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not having much joy in the public mental health service of getting a proper diagnosis. All that is happening is getting appointments every few weeks and be told take these and you be ok (I won't take medication)

Im 30 now and just want a plain answer what I suffer from and then i can take it from there etc

Private may be the only way of going about it. Anyone knw about this and what tests/costs etc

Advertisement