Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Kayleigh.. wrote:
    I didn't bother with a PREP course and managed to get in the 97th percentile.

WOW congratz that's an excellent score. Do you think my A level/cao points score is good enough for places like UCD/Trinity.

And since I'm from Wales and don't know much about the Irish system.
    When would you advise to start preparing for the HPAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Sorry this is a little of topic but I'm curious what fellow medicine hopefuls were like throughout their school careers, were you that kid that got 90+ per test and said 'wow I can't believe that'
    Or were you that kid who had to studied like a lunatic to have any chance at medicine?..
    I'm definitely the second type.

Seanf999 wrote:
    Sorry this is a little of topic but I'm curious what fellow medicine hopefuls were like throughout their school careers, were you that kid that got 90+ per test and said 'wow I can't believe that' Or were you that kid who had to studied like a lunatic to have any chance at medicine?.. I'm definitely the second type.

Hahahha I'm definitely the second type.
    Are u guys still doing your Leaving Certs and how is that like compared to A levels (sorry I've just completed A levels amd have no idea). :)

Good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Right, So I'm in a little bit of a pickle :p
    I did the infamous M-entry course last year and still managed to do quite poorly.My results were pathetic actually, and I definitely need a prep course of sorts to help me out this year
    My problem is that I'm broke and don't know whether getting M-entry again would be worth my while since I'll remember the layout and answers to exam and drills questions from last year.

I would SINCERELY, truly appreciate if any fellow repeaters who have gotten the online package this year again could let me know whether they have updated any info, questions,etc.

Thanks in advance

I did the infamous M-entry course last year and still managed to do quite poorly.My results were pathetic actually, and I definitely need a prep course of sorts to help me out this year
    My problem is that I'm broke and don't know whether getting M-entry again would be worth my while since I'll remember the layout and answers to exam and drills questions from last year.

I would SINCERELY, truly appreciate if any fellow repeaters who have gotten the online package this year again could let me know whether they have updated any info, questions,etc.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Thanks in advance

What did you get? And did you do all the practice tests and such on the ME site?

Honestly I'd doubt you'd get a big improvement if you've already done a prep course, but I don't know your situation. Are you in university or are you repeating the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

I just finished a practise exam 1 from the ******** LMS and can anyone tell me if it's easier than the real thing? I was at the 2 day workshop on the 28th and 29th and we did a trial exam in which I scored 19 16 and 5 in sections 1 2 and3 respectively.

In the practise exam today I scored 23 27 and 12 in the sections1 2 and 3.

186 points altogether, I've no way of knowing how well or how bad this is so can anyone give me a good idea of how high I should be scoring?

Do students from the UK have to come to ROI to sit the HPAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Thanks in advance

Hey i'm repeating too! Yea they've added a good few new drills to it but no practice exams. I've only done 2 or 3 drills so far and yea I remember the layout and some of the questions but I don't remember the answers to them so I do think it's still helpful :)

mhf55 wrote: »
    Hey i'm repeating too! Yea they've added a good few new drills to it but no practice exams. I've only done 2 or 3 drills so far and yea I remember the layout and some of the questions but I don't remember the answers to them so I do think it's still helpful :)

Cheers :D
    Yeah I think I think I'll go for it,
    I need all the help I can get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Anyone have an idea of how much you can improve with practice? So far I haven't done great in my 2 practice exams and will need a big improvement if I want a chance to get into Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Consonata

I'm hoping to do Medicine. In 5th year at the moment, any advice regarding the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Junokevv wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of how much you can improve with practice? So far I haven't done great in my 2 practice exams and will need a big improvement if I want a chance to get into Medicine.

Med Entry or the ACER ones?

Does anyone have any inkling on how to go register for the IMAT- the entrance test for studying medicine in Italy???
    Do you have to email Cambridge assessment, or register online in some way??

Does anyone have any inkling on how to go register for the IMAT- the entrance test for studying medicine in Italy???

Does anyone have any inkling on how to go register for the IMAT- the entrance test for studying medicine in Italy??? Do you have to email Cambridge assessment, or register online in some way??

Hi :)
    I'm not sitting the IMAT but you have to register for the test via the Humanitas website.
    Firstly you register for the university portal then you register and pay for the IMAT.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Margaret1

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone who sat the HPAT previously might know the venues for the actual test in Dublin.
    Thanks

I'm not sitting the IMAT but you have to register for the test via the Humanitas website.
    Firstly you register for the university portal then you register and pay for the IMAT.
    Thank you so much!! I'm gonna try that now :)

Thank you so much!! I'm gonna try that now :)

Hahahha I'm definitely the second type.
    Are u guys still doing your Leaving Certs and how is that like compared to A levels (sorry I've just completed A levels amd have no idea). :)

Good luck to you all :)

Sorry for being so late getting back to you! I'm currently in 5th year (just this year and next year left) and everyone I know who is going for medicine is just naturally smart and their parents are making them study..
    I'm the second type doe!

I've actually got a strange situation compare to others for me I'm either studying medicine or not going to college.. If I do not get into medicine after the second time il become a paramedic and try work with sar or as a diver in the UK navy..

As for the leaving cert, I am not finding it too bad, parts are difficult but not impossible, but my cousin is currently doing her A levels hoping to study law and she doesn't see much of a workload difference, of course classes and subjects are different but the workload seems to be similar..

• Advertisement

Apologies for two posts in a row but I'm just wondering, what kept each of he going? I mean what made you so sure that medicine is for you that you learnt off pages upon pages of things you'd probably never use again..
    In my opinion med students are some of the most dedicated people on the planet, and I'm wondering that keeps you motivated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Night_Owl

Hi,
    I am planning to sit in Hpat 2015.
    Just wondering can I buy practice material before I register myself ? And how much does the practice material cost?

Night_Owl wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am planning to sit in Hpat 2015.
    Just wondering can I buy practice material before I register myself ? And how much does the practice material cost?

I'm not sure if Mods let us talk about certain products but a quick google should show you a website or two that has prep courses and lets you register for exam material.

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Apologies for two posts in a row but I'm just wondering, what kept each of he going? I mean what made you so sure that medicine is for you that you learnt off pages upon pages of things you'd probably never use again..
    In my opinion med students are some of the most dedicated people on the planet, and I'm wondering that keeps you motivated

Hiya mate :) thanks for eventually getting back to me. That's a great question. I guess for me it's mainly because I absolute love helping others and I have a naturally caring and open nature, my Grandmother has Dementia so whilst caring for her I realised I would make a good doc. But obviously the academic side is very important especially for getting into Ireland med schools, and I've always loved Chem and Bio. But more importantly it was my work experiences that confirmed to me that I wanted to do Medicine. I went to the US and spent a week the physician's in Cardiology and Nephrology and was amazed at how diverse each particular discliplinary is in the field of Medicine and that it's a Career of lifelong learning.

I guess I'm similar to you in a way in that for me it's Medicine or nothing. I'm a UK student on a gap year and reapplying for Med in the UK and ROI. Luckily I did 4 A2s and have acheived my grades (got 580 cao points) so I've decided to give the ROI med schools a shot :)

The cao system is such an amazing hastle free system unlike the extremely complicated UCAS that we have here. Cause I did A levels I just have to send in my certificates once I get them and start prep for HPAT.

Have u registered for cao / hpat ?
    When are u gonna start preparing for the HPAT?
    And what course preference have u entered ?

I guess I'm similar to you in a way in that for me it's Medicine or nothing. I'm a UK student on a gap year and reapplying for Med in the UK and ROI. Luckily I did 4 A2s and have acheived my grades (got 580 cao points) so I've decided to give the ROI med schools a shot :)

The cao system is such an amazing hastle free system unlike the extremely complicated UCAS that we have here. Cause I did A levels I just have to send in my certificates once I get them and start prep for HPAT.

Have u registered for cao / hpat ?
    When are u gonna start preparing for the HPAT?
    And what course preference have u entered ?

580! Fair play to ya! I have a feeling I'll struggle with points and it's more so from lack of dedication then anything else.. Not lak of dedication to becomin a doctor but lack of dedication to studying subjects I seriously don't care for!
    But regardless I know where I want to be in 10 years time and that's not changing.

I haven't registered as of yet as I'm only in 5th year (I I did Transition year)
    But my plan is to apply to every medicine course in the country and if I don't get in it looks like I'm repeating!

580! Fair play to ya! I have a feeling I'll struggle with points and it's more so from lack of dedication then anything else.. Not lak of dedication to becomin a doctor but lack of dedication to studying subjects I seriously don't care for!
    But regardless I know where I want to be in 10 years time and that's not changing.

I haven't registered as of yet as I'm only in 5th year (I I did Transition year)
    But my plan is to apply to every medicine course in the country and if I don't get in it looks like I'm repeating!

Hi. Yeah it's 580 now through Alevels but remember for Medicine your cao score gets readjusted before the HPAT so mine is actually 556.
    I'm intrigued by how different the education system is over there in ROI, so I apologise for my complete ignorance and lack of awareness about the leaving cert/ med application process as I'm from Wales.

It's nice to see your committed to Medicine :) but what about you why do u wanna become a doctor ?

Sorry do u not get to pick your subjects for the leaving cert and also how many do you do ?
    Also do ROI people apply on predicted cao scores like we do in the uk for A levels.

whats your course preference i.e which medical college is your first choice ??

Sorry for all the questions and I hope we both get in this year :)

Hi. Yeah it's 580 now through Alevels but remember for Medicine your cao score gets readjusted before the HPAT so mine is actually 556.
    I'm intrigued by how different the education system is over there in ROI, so I apologise for my complete ignorance and lack of awareness about the leaving cert/ med application process as I'm from Wales.

It's nice to see your committed to Medicine :) but what about you why do u wanna become a doctor ?

Sorry do u not get to pick your subjects for the leaving cert and also how many do you do ?
    Also do ROI people apply on predicted cao scores like we do in the uk for A levels.

whats your course preference i.e which medical college is your first choice ??

Sorry for all the questions and I hope we both get in this year :)

Regardless 580 is a huge achievement!

We do get to pick our subjects but we must do maths english Irish and a second language (if you plan on furthering your education)
    But the subjects are not very percise for instance we cover many areas within a subject not just one area which we may excel in.

I want to be a doctor because I can't see myself doing anything else, you may have seen a previous post about me becoming a doctor..
    Basically I was always told I could excel in school yet I chose not to believe them, I wasted my time in my junior years and now trying to recover,
    The only reason I'm even trying to recover is because I can't see myself doing anything else..

Regardless 580 is a huge achievement!

We do get to pick our subjects but we must do maths english Irish and a second language (if you plan on furthering your education)
    But the subjects are not very percise for instance we cover many areas within a subject not just one area which we may excel in.

I want to be a doctor because I can't see myself doing anything else, you may have seen a previous post about me becoming a doctor..
    Basically I was always told I could excel in school yet I chose not to believe them, I wasted my time in my junior years and now trying to recover,
    The only reason I'm even trying to recover is because I can't see myself doing anything else..

Well I wish you the best of luck with your leaving cert and HPAT buddy :) , yeah I can totally understand it must be very difficult preparing for HPAT along with the leaving cert.

Have u started HPAT prep ??

Well I wish you the best of luck with your leaving cert and HPAT buddy :) , yeah I can totally understand it must be very difficult preparing for HPAT along with the leaving cert.

When did you begin your HPAT Prep? I'm in fifth year ATM and I don't want it piling up on me next year.

• Advertisement

Thanks, and best of luck to yourself too!

Well I wouldn't consider doing some browsing 'prep' but I plan on starting proper prep come Easter and i then plan on dedicating my summer to hpat and study!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement