Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse Parking Sensors

• 10-01-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know or have experience of where I can get Reverse Parking Sensors fitted to a car?

Based in Dublin.

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

halfords in blanchardstown do them, not sure how much, theres a display in the shop that shows how it works and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I was looking at those, going to get a set for the g/f, €149-€299. Presume the expensive ones are the best. Can they be made match colours?

I think its just a hole put in the bumper and the sensor is positioned pointing out of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭koolkat

I have them on the car to be honest i just find them annoying. Sometimes you end up parking far away from the obstacle and other times it only beeps when you're right up on it. It all depends on the angle and height of what's behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I got the sensors from halfords, the type that clip onto the reg plate, and I find them very good.€99 i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

JML cheapy stick on kit in Roches Stores for about E45:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Stick on ones ?

Any photos? Where/how do they stick on ? Are they a neat solution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I was hoping more for a contact for a Professional Installation.

Anyone ??

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Go to a garage that retails in your brand of car, they should be able to do them.

I bought some from Argos, €60 i think, and had my local mechanic fit them. They connect to the reverse lights for power, so they only become active when you are in reverse gear.

Fitted properly they are very good. I left them hang loose when they were installed. Then using bluetack you can reverse around a bit, adjusting their position, until you have it right (then fix them into position properly). e.g. reversing up hills, and reversing down hills with low obstacles, that kinda thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out this site: http://www.parking-sensor.co.uk

They are based in England, but have people who can fit them in Ireland:
    http://www.parking-sensor.co.uk/quanan-vehicle-reverse-parking-sensor-mobile-fitting-service-at-home-or-at-work.htm#Republic%20of%20Ireland

BTW; link was sent to me by a mate, I've no personal experience with them.

Eoin
    prospect wrote:
    I bought some from Argos, €60 i think, and had my local mechanic fit them. They connect to the reverse lights for power, so they only become active when you are in reverse gear.

One thing to bear in mind, is that sometimes the sensors can cause the faulty bulb sensor to light up, as the signal to the reverse lights is either intermittent or not as strong (or something like that) with the parking sensors fitted. I am pretty sure there is a way around this, but keep it in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Fitted properly they are very good. I left them hang loose when they were installed. Then using bluetack you can reverse around a bit, adjusting their position, until you have it right (then fix them into position properly). e.g. reversing up hills, and reversing down hills with low obstacles, that kinda thing.

...........did you have to drill the bumper though ? I want to avoid doing anything that cant be undone ! I deally if I could fit them just under the bumper or at the bootlid handle where there is a recess that'd be great !

Is there a display or just an audible beep ? I'd prefer just the latter !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    One thing to bear in mind, is that sometimes the sensors can cause the faulty bulb sensor to light up, as the signal to the reverse lights is either intermittent or not as strong (or something like that) with the parking sensors fitted. I am pretty sure there is a way around this, but keep it in mind.

This didn't happen to me, but what you say makes sense. It is probably down to the individual product and/or wiring of the car.
    MercMad wrote:
    ...........did you have to drill the bumper though ? I want to avoid doing anything that cant be undone ! I deally if I could fit them just under the bumper or at the bootlid handle where there is a recess that'd be great !

Yep, two small screws on each sensor (2 sensors). But if you prepare them correctly, I don't see the problem. If you buy a car with them installed, the entire sensor is fitted into a hole in the bumper. Usually about 4 x 1.5cm diameter holes across the bumper.
    MercMad wrote:
    Is there a display or just an audible beep ? I'd prefer just the latter !

Both. The beep on mine was quite loud so I taped over the 'speaker' part to shhhhh them down a bit.

Mike2006 wrote:
    I was hoping more for a contact for a Professional Installation.

Anyone ??

Mike.

Cobra System €249 inc Installation and Vat
    Serpistar System €199 inc Installation and Vat

http://www.****/cartech/webpages/parking%20sensors/

Techstore
    Unit 5 Glenroyal Centre,
    Maynooth,
    Co Kildare
    Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Thanks for the replies.

Will check tham out and report back.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

MercMad wrote:
    Stick on ones ?
    Any photos? Where/how do they stick on ? Are they a neat solution ?
    Yes, No, Any Roches Stores/3M pads, Yes if fitted well
    Have a photo of box on my phone if you have a pic phone mercmad PM it to me and I'll text it to you, or JML may have a web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 headphone

Mike2006 wrote:
    Does anybody know or have experience of where I can get Reverse Parking Sensors fitted to a car?

Based in Dublin.

Thanks,

Mike.
    not sure where to get em, but when my girlfriend is in the car with me, she goes beep beep beep faster and faster when im reversing. She is invaluable.
    beep beep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

headphone wrote:
    not sure where to get em, but when my girlfriend is in the car with me, she goes beep beep beep faster and faster when im reversing. She is invaluable.
    beep beep

You depend on your girlfriend to help you to reverse. Hang onto her she's rare. My Missus absolutely hates reversing!

OTOH this is not the place to post your foreplay games! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

http://www.parking-sensor.co.uk/photo-gallery.htm

Somebody explain to me why a Nissan Micra, MX5 and VW Lupo would need parking sensors. (Front parking sensors no less.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

I got parking sensors last 2 years ago for my car as I could never tell where the back of the car was. Got them on e-bay for about €40, I think, inc P&P. Drilled four holes in the bumper and the main control unit sits on top of the CD changer in the boot. Ran a cable under the trim to the front of the car. The display/beeper bit sits on top of the rear view mirror. Bleeping gets faster as I get closer to an object. Distance is also shown in centimetres. And there is a diagram of a car on the display unit which shows which part of the rear of the car is nearest to the obstacle. A fantastic buy and so so cheap. Took about an hour to fit, if even that. And haven't bumped anything once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tippcolleen

Does anyone know if the sensor can be taken out of existing car and fitted to a new one, and how difficult is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hello there and welcome to Boards.ie
    Dragging up old threads is against the charter. You're than welcome to start a new one.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement