Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrades carried out by myself

Options
  • 12-01-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi

Over the last few years I extended/renovated my own small cottage doing a lot of the work myself.

Included in this was I externally insulated the whole house myself and handed over to a gang of plasterers who specialize in EWI who then put on the beading & plaster, saving me alot of money.
    I also had it replumbed/wired , new fittings and radiators etc, new stove etc put in.
    I also intend on putting alot more attic insulation in myself as soon as any extra cables that need running through attic are done.

My question is, due to the fact I don't have a cert for the EWI but it's clear it's done ( and to a very high standard if I do say so myself ) can I have this included in a BER assessment when I do have one done, this for attic insulation also.

Surely they cant ignore the fact the whole house is wrapped ( plus insulated window sills, all new windows ) and not take into account ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Hi

Over the last few years I extended/renovated my own small cottage doing a lot of the work myself.

Included in this was I externally insulated the whole house myself and handed over to a gang of plasterers who specialize in EWI who then put on the beading & plaster, saving me alot of money.
    I also had it replumbed/wired , new fittings and radiators etc, new stove etc put in.
    I also intend on putting alot more attic insulation in myself as soon as any extra cables that need running through attic are done.

My question is, due to the fact I don't have a cert for the EWI but it's clear it's done ( and to a very high standard if I do say so myself ) can I have this included in a BER assessment when I do have one done, this for attic insulation also.

Surely they cant ignore the fact the whole house is wrapped ( plus insulated window sills, all new windows ) and not take into account ?

Thanks

Unless you can get an engineer to sign a statement declaring the manufacturer, type and thickness of insulation that was installed at the house address the assessor cannot include it. "SEAI rules", not the assessors fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭idc

Biker1 wrote: »
    Unless you can get an engineer to sign a statement declaring the manufacturer, type and thickness of insulation that was installed at the house address the assessor cannot include it. "SEAI rules", not the assessors fault.

Curious does it depend on what type of upgrade is done?

My BER assessor noticed i had insufficient insulation in ceiling and said if I sent photos of products/receipts and showing insulation on top of existing insufficient insulation he would put that into system. Did the same with all my draughty attic hatch openings.

Maybe difference is when its something more simple and visible to determine eg depth of ceiling insulation/draught proofing vs say the spec of a window (sure it might look really good but he needs specific certificated details from the manufacturer) likewise wall insulation (he can't exactly see or know how good it is!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

You need the Certs for the products.
    Photos of the products installed during construction.
    Then if any other company installed products, a letter from them.

I recently went through this. The reason is increased scrutiny on the BER assessors and penalty points being giving to them which means fines etc if they cannot substantiate inputs to DEAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Biker1 wrote: »

If you have proof / statement of type and thickness is that not enough?.... as you can use the default thermal conductivity towards U value calculation rather than exact make/model of insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Gumbo wrote: »
    You need the Certs for the products.
    Photos of the products installed during construction.
    Then if any other company installed products, a letter from them.

I recently went through this. The reason is increased scrutiny on the BER assessors and penalty points being giving to them which means fines etc if they cannot substantiate inputs to DEAP.

Fines? Really? Is that in the Code of Practice or Quality assurance procedure doc? Not that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

MOTM wrote: »
    Fines? Really? Is that in the Code of Practice or Quality assurance procedure doc? Not that I'm aware of.

Actually fines would be preferable to penalty points and subsequent loss of registration.

Advertisement