Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eSim availability

• 20-08-2020 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

does anyone know if any of the operators do support eSim? I am trying to keep the number but use eSim as opposed to the traditional SIM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    does anyone know if any of the operators do support eSim? I am trying to keep the number but use eSim as opposed to the traditional SIM.

None so far I believe and its doubtful they ever will, not entirely sure why but I'm guessing physical sims give networks here more control. I lived and worked in the States back in the early to mid 2000"s and never had a sim in any mobile phone I had. Apple seem to be the only issuer of esims & manufacturer of phones that accept e sims, but not supported outside US albeit I'm open to correction on that.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dempo1 wrote: »
    None so far I believe and its doubtful they ever will, not entirely sure why but I'm guessing physical sims give networks here more control. I lived and worked in the States back in the early to mid 2000"s and never had a sim in any mobile phone I had. Apple seem to be the only issuer of esims & manufacturer of phones that accept e sims, but not supported outside US albeit I'm open to correction on that.

The US used CDMA for some of its carriers, GSM for others. Everywhere else was sane and just used GSM. In the US if you went from Verizon to ATT you threw your old phone in the bin, poor system.

The UK has them so we'll get them eventually but no MNOs seem pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Just an FYI Eir will have esim coming in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Craigels wrote: »
    Just an FYI Eir will have esim coming in the next few weeks.

I think it was lost in translation and they meant the watch. e-sims aren't physical sims so saying they would be in stock would be weird no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

ComReg survey: Would eSIMs encourage switching?

Face to face survey of 1010 adults (16+) 2022-02-24 - 2022-03-08

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/over-the-air-provisioning-consumer-survey

TL;DR - Knowledge low, inertia high.

• 6% considered switching in last 12 months. 
    • 75% last signed-up in-store; of those 57% wanted face-to-face transaction.
    • 79% unaware of eSIM
    • 35% more likely to switch if process took ≤ 5 mins

• Advertisement
Advertisement