Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhead sewerage pipe - legal ?

• 03-02-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I rent a small commercial property and checking on it recently I noticed some plumbing work was done in the apartments overhead. But this means a sewerage pipe is running down my yard over head. This yard is small poss 6 feet in length and 3 wide but provides access to my store.
    Is this legal to have the pipe like running over head ? Not sure how I stand on this but I feel it’s risky for me to walk under this pipe every day. It runs approximately 6 feet unsupported underneath.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

When was it built?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minisue

hi Bryan,
    Apologies, only saw this now. The building itself is over 80 years old. It was renovated about 20 years ago to put in apartments. New owners took it over and renovated the apartments again about 5 years ago. Issue with sewerage in apartments for approximately 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s not nearly enough information to answer.
    What exactly is your concern? But probably walk under waste pipes all the time in commercial property. They are just covered by ceilings or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

In most modern buildings they tend to drop down right next to the toilet cores. But in older buildings they would have travelled in voids which is normal enough. Bar a little occasional noise if at all it shouldn't give any bother. It will likely outlive you by a significant margin before it needs any repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

So it’s an outside sewerage pipe that’s off the ground with no support underneath it?
    If that’s the case then I don’t think that’s within building regs at all. Sewer pipes may run through buildings by necessity but outside they must be buried. I’d give the council a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

screamer wrote: »
    So it’s an outside sewerage pipe that’s off the ground with no support underneath it?
    If that’s the case then I don’t think that’s within building regs at all. Sewer pipes may run through buildings by necessity but outside they must be buried. I’d give the council a call.

For 6ft of pipe maybe one support but it's not massively critical. Presumably it just drops into the ground. Post a pic.

screamer wrote: »
    If that’s the case then I don’t think that’s within building regs at all. Sewer pipes may run through buildings by necessity but outside they must be buried.
    That’s incorrect. External over ground sewer stacks and branch pipes are extremely common. They have to get to the ground before they can be buried. Covered in part H of regs.

No idea if OP situation is compliant. As it’s not clear what’s actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minisue

Thank you everyone for your responses.

The pipe itself is exposed in the air and travels the 6 foot length unsupported and runs from one building to another. It runs in a straight line no bends no turns. It is running from floor 2 in one building to floor 2 in another building.

I have to walk under it to access my outside store and own toilet each day. I can’t understand how this could be within building regulations.

Any further advice welcome.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,925 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

post a pic?

minisue wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

The pipe itself is exposed in the air and travels the 6 foot length unsupported and runs from one building to another. It runs in a straight line no bends no turns. It is running from floor 2 in one building to floor 2 in another building.

I have to walk under it to access my outside store and own toilet each day. I can’t understand how this could be within building regulations.

Any further advice welcome.

Between two separate buildings?
    How are these buildings related?

I think you need to post a picture at this point. as we're all likely picturing something different, and possibly insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Make a hole in the pipe and observe/examine what blasts into your face to make sure it is a sewerage pipe

Advertisement