Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Acetaminophen is the yanks name for paracetamol.
    Some of the copycat murders involved vitamin pills.

I was curious how the meds were tampered with... I guess this is why we now have packaging that makes it obvious it was interfered with.

Wiki says
    The source was most likely supermarkets and drug stores, over a period of several weeks, with the culprit likely adding the cyanide to the capsules, then methodically returning to the stores to place the bottles back on the shelves.

I think blister packs weren’t as commonplace back then and the tablets came in capsule form (the type where one part fits into another) rather than the solid formulation they come in today. So you could place cyanide in a capsule and then fit it back together. I don’t know what the seals on the bottles were like. You’d think it would be noticeable that the seals were tampered with. The Tylenol murders brought about a lot of new regulations re: packaging and formulation. Sorry, I’m a bit of a pharma nerd having previously worked in that industry. I nerd out on stuff like that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I think blister packs weren’t as commonplace back then and the tablets came in capsule form (the type where one part fits into another) rather than the solid formulation they come in today. So you could place cyanide in a capsule and then fit it back together. I don’t know what the seals on the bottles were like. You’d think it would be noticeable that the seals were tampered with. The Tylenol murders brought about a lot of new regulations re: packaging and formulation. Sorry, I’m a bit of a pharma nerd having previously worked in that industry. I nerd out on stuff like that. :cool:

Yes, based on research that consists of listening to maybe 2 podcasts, I'm here to say that the tablets definitely weren't in blister packs. I remember the early 1980s myself and tablets came loose in small lidded containers, with a wad of cotton wool under the lid for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,765 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Nal wrote: »
    I watched this, equal parts interesting and frustrating.

It’s seriously interesting... the fact that they’ve had so many potential suspects but never anywhere near getting their man or having as far as we know, a genuine suspect ...i first read about the story online about 15 years ago and it blew my mind... really intriguing... and frustrating.....

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Ireland's version of Jimmy Hoffa, what happened to Robert Nairac's body after he was murdered.

cut up and put through a mincer .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Interesting!

Aren't capsule parts widely available to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, based on research that consists of listening to maybe 2 podcasts, I'm here to say that the tablets definitely weren't in blister packs. I remember the early 1980s myself and tablets came loose in small lidded containers, with a wad of cotton wool under the lid for some reason.

the cotton was to stop the tablets rattling around in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

But did he murder Jill Dando?

That's the unsolved mystery.

Wouldnt rule him out.
    Resembles suspect seen acting suspiciously just before murder.
    Obsession with guns. Photo of him posing with pistol.
    Very unhealthy obsession with female celebrities.
    Lived nearby.
    Gunshot residue in coat pocket.
    Suspicious behaviour following murder.
    History of weird stalkerish behaviour.

No hard evidence however to tie him to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The Nal wrote: »
    I watched this, equal parts interesting and frustrating.

Downloaded that to watch tonight. Came across the following recently as well - another in a million theories of course but I have to say the guy makes a very persuasive argument as to how the skyjacking possibly took place - he doesn't identify a suspect but makes a good case that it was probably an active duty US overseas arms forces member - and that he didn't parachute out where is commonly believed:
    https://retiredinvestigator.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/updated-ii-db-cooper-step-out-of-the-shadow-spring-2019.pdf

Short read - 13 pages or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Thanks, mrsdewinter. Very interesting. Were the lids sealed or could you open the bottles with no signs of tampering afterwards?
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting!

Aren't capsule parts widely available to buy?

Yeah, some meds are still available in capsule form. Paracetamol seems to not be though. From a look at my extensive medications collection, only one tablet is in capsule form, a painkiller that is designed to be fast acting. Maybe the capsule format is digested quicker and so hits the bloodstream faster? That particular medication is very strictly controlled though. Not a pick up off the shelf type one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Monolake wrote: »
    My favourite unsolved mystery is a personal one. A friend and I, both aged about 15 at the time and star watching on a summer night, saw a bright light in the sky moving in very definite triangular shapes and bolting around at a rapid speed. Then it stopped, flashed twice and accelerated away in a straight line at what looked like, from the ground at least, an absolutely astonishing pace.

I am the most cynical and sceptical person imaginable. If it can't be examined, measured or otherwise verified then I don't believe in it. And yet we both saw the same thing that night and to this day, nearly 25 years later, I can't even muster up a layman's explanation of what it was, except that it was definitely, in its most literal sense, an unidentified flying object.

Just catching up on the thread seen something very similar in April of 93.Still can't explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

the cotton was to stop the tablets rattling around in the bottle.
    And to absorb excess moisture. Now they often use silica gel, either in sachets or stuck under the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The khaman daban incident.

It bears resemblance to the dyatlov pass incident

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah, some meds are still available in capsule form. Paracetamol seems to not be though. From a look at my extensive medications collection, only one tablet is in capsule form, a painkiller that is designed to be fast acting. Maybe the capsule format is digested quicker and so hits the bloodstream faster? That particular medication is very strictly controlled though. Not a pick up off the shelf type one.

I'm sure I got paracetamol in capsule form in Sainsburys own brand in recent years.
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/toiletries-health-essentials/sainsburys-paracetamol-capsules-x16

In 'blister' packs though so tampering should be obvious.

Also, Lemsip Cough and Cold pills are capsules.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

usingscience.jpg

Using science to explore a 60-year-old Russian mystery, the Dyatlov Pass incident
    On the night of the tragedy, one of the most important contributing factors was the presence of katabatic winds—i.e., winds that carry air down a slope under the force of gravity. These winds could have transported the snow, which would have then accumulated uphill from the tent due to a specific feature of the terrain that the team members were unaware of. "If they hadn't made a cut in the slope, nothing would have happened. That was the initial trigger, but that alone wouldn't have been enough. The katabatic wind probably drifted the snow and allowed an extra load to build up slowly. At a certain point, a crack could have formed and propagated, causing the snow slab to release," says Puzrin.

Was just reading about otto warmbier recently,

American student went to North Korea for new year 2016

was sentenced to 15 years hard labour about March 16...states got him back June 17 but he was in a persistent vegetative state (which parents only found out when he landed in USA)
    I suppose not really a mystery as such given what n. Koreans would be capable of (they said it was botulism from a sleeping pill) but no one will ever find out what exactly happened to him after his sentencing in March 2016...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

aaronc182 wrote: »

was sentenced to 15 years hard labour about March 16...states got him back June 17 but he was in a persistent vegetative state (which parents only found out when he landed in USA)
    I suppose not really a mystery as such given what n. Koreans would be capable of (they said it was botulism from a sleeping pill) but no one will ever find out what exactly happened to him after his sentencing in March 2016...

Who goes to North Korea,its not exactly known for being welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dubstarr wrote:

Many folks have gone, and have returned safely, I'd like to go myself

dubstarr wrote: »

There’s companies that run tours from China...but as an American it was madness to go given how Anti American they are..I think the states have banned citizens from travelling there now as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There’s companies that run tours from China...but as an American it was madness to go given how Anti American they are..I think the states have banned citizens from travelling there now as a result

His real problem was that he gave them an excuse to arrest him.

His real problem was that he gave them an excuse to arrest him.

Yeah that was madness trying to take that poster. Did he not realise how serious they take that stuff
    what was going through his head to do that but I suppose he was bit drunk as well...maybe was having good time and felt relaxed being there ....its not the sort of holiday where you can let your guard down

• Advertisement

Wouldnt rule him out.
    Resembles suspect seen acting suspiciously just before murder.
    Obsession with guns. Photo of him posing with pistol.
    Very unhealthy obsession with female celebrities.
    Lived nearby.
    Gunshot residue in coat pocket.
    Suspicious behaviour following murder.
    History of weird stalkerish behaviour.

No hard evidence however to tie him to it.

I doubt anybody will be held accountable for that. The murder occurred 22 years ago and apart from George, no arrests were made..

What we know is...

She was apparently about to blow the whistle on a VERY high profile paedophile ring..that included high profile people in British public life.

The Serbian media claimed Jill Dando became a target for the Serbian Mafia after fronting a BBC appeal on behalf of Kosovan-Albanian refugees driven from their homes by militias supporting Milosevic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Johnny_Gosch

One of the most bizarre cases I've ever read about, and for two other boys of the same age to go missing soon after, in what is a very small American city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Strumms wrote: »
    I doubt anybody will be held accountable for that. The murder occurred 22 years ago and apart from George, no arrests were made..

What we know is...

She was apparently about to blow the whistle on a VERY high profile paedophile ring..that included high profile people in British public life.

The Serbian media claimed Jill Dando became a target for the Serbian Mafia after fronting a BBC appeal on behalf of Kosovan-Albanian refugees driven from their homes by militias supporting Milosevic.

Is there any concrete proof about her about to blow the lid on paedophile rings, outside of the usual tinfoil hat sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

One of the most bizarre cases I've ever read about, and for two other boys of the same age to go missing soon after, in what is a very small American city.

Had never heard of this one. Gives me a new one to look into, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I remember when Johny Gosch's mother's account emerged in 2006. I filed it away as 'sad and compelling but insignificant' because I never heard much more about it. But that account from the man who claimed to have met J in captivity, that doesn't seem to have been rebutted. What's the current thinking, I wonder?

Is there any concrete proof about her about to blow the lid on paedophile rings, outside of the usual tinfoil hat sites?

The daily mail and the independent both, unless you consider those, ‘tinfoil hat sites’..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Strumms wrote: »
    The daily mail and the independent both, unless you consider those, ‘tinfoil hat sites’..

To be fair, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeah that was madness trying to take that poster. Did he not realise how serious they take that stuff
    what was going through his head to do that but I suppose he was bit drunk as well...maybe was having good time and felt relaxed being there ....its not the sort of holiday where you can let your guard down

I think his friends mother promised him money if he brought some north Korean propaganda back. he was only around 18, so he didn't have much cop on I suppose. shows you how evil they are to do that to a young guy for taking something so simple as a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Very sad. Can't imagine what the poor boy went through. Awful for his poor parents never knowing what happened to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Downloaded that to watch tonight. Came across the following recently as well - another in a million theories of course but I have to say the guy makes a very persuasive argument as to how the skyjacking possibly took place - he doesn't identify a suspect but makes a good case that it was probably an active duty US overseas arms forces member - and that he didn't parachute out where is commonly believed:
    https://retiredinvestigator.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/updated-ii-db-cooper-step-out-of-the-shadow-spring-2019.pdf

Short read - 13 pages or so.

That makes total sense. It actually does.

I've never heard that theory before but now I can't see how anybody can refute it.

I first read about D.B.Cooper about 30 years ago and always thought it was mad how he parachuted into a mountain forest in the dark of night, but the area north of Reno is just scrub and desert. The Vietnam stuff makes sense too.

Advertisement