Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato - Medium or Large

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Lads, I went ballistic with a scissors aka extreme pruning, much more space in the greenhouse and hoping for a better yield.

Added some epsom salts to the water today and next watering I will put in calcium as two tomatoes had black specks.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

Shemale wrote: »
    Lads, I went ballistic with a scissors aka extreme pruning, much more space in the greenhouse and hoping for a better yield.

Added some epsom salts to the water today and next watering I will put in calcium as two tomatoes had black specks.
    I wouldn't prune any further. looking at your photo next year I would only use 2 pots across but bigger pots...you probably would get a better yield and they would have more space. try and have only one stem per plant as any additional stems take from the plant and its growth which will reduce the amount of flowers on each truss

the side of my greenhouse is 5ft long and I have four pots there. in my opinion this is the minimum space they need. the inner diameter of the pots are 12 and 14 inches.

mine are getting there very slowly...it hasn't been a good summer

nokiatom wrote: »
    mine are getting there very slowly...it hasn't been a good summer

Looking good, like that I have some tomatoes doing very well and need the sun to come out and play.

Gave my dad a few plants about 3 weeks, he has a south facing garden and no greenhouse and his ones are further on than mine.

• Advertisement

Lots of tomatoes but no red ones

Lots of tomatoes but no red ones

There is a nice light red hue off one of them.

I got my new greenhouse up, the plants were out side in the rain for one week as it took that long to get the new greenhouse built. Saw some red on one tomato end of last week, yesterday there were about 6 going red and the rest will be coming along.

Did more extreme pruning on Sunday and only left a couple of leaves at the top of the plant, I figured the leaves are blocking out the little bit of light and heat so want the small tomatoes to get bigger and improve the chances of ripening.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

Here they are:

It was early and couldnt find anything for scale to show how big they are so grabbed a football, doesnt help any!!

Shemale wrote: »
    Here they are:

It was early and couldnt find anything for scale to show how big they are so grabbed a football, doesnt help any!!
    you really went to town on the leaves !!:)

you really went to town on the leaves !!:)

Yeah, they dont need shade given the lack of light and temperature, trying to give the tomatoes every chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys I am new to the poly tunnel game. This will be my first year sowing tomatos from seed. Can I ask your opinions on the most flavoursome varaties?

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Guys I am new to the poly tunnel game. This will be my first year sowing tomatos from seed. Can I ask your opinions on the most flavoursome varaties?

Only seeing this now but Gardeners Delight are nice and Piccolo are my favourite.

Don't bother with San Marzano they are huge and I only got about 60 last year, they took ages to mature and then ripen, the ones in Tesco are cherry size but the F1 seeds I got gave huge fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tin lizzie

i love gardening it is a lot of hard work but it is well worth it. you have a lot of beautiful flowers in winter, spring and summer.

Advertisement