Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best house alarm system?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Effects wrote: »
    As for the Garda being called. I thought they wouldn't attend until a contact had already been to the house or something?

I believe they will only respond if two sensors are triggered (say a door sensor and then a motion sensor) or if confirmed by camera.

Personally I'm quite happy with self monitored alarm + bunch of IP cameras. I can call the Guards myself if I see someone on one of the cams.

The advantage of pro monitoring would be something like if you are away on holidays with no data or if your phone is on silent etc.

Though there are workarounds to both, iPhones at least can be set up to bypass silent mode and you can always set it up to send the notification to multiple family members, if away on holidays, etc.

Personally I don't think third party monitoring offers enough difference for the cost, but others might feel differently.
    Kaldo wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Regarding to home insurance, if your alarm is self-monitored, it counts like a "Monitored Alarm" or this statement usually makes reference when the alarm is monitored by a third party company?

Best to check with your insurance company and check the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubext

Can I get PM for Dublin contact

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

For alarms to be legally considered monitored (i.e. for insurance purposes or as are required for gun owners who own more than two guns) the location has to be issued with a Unique Reference Number (URN) by the guards. They will only issue it to locations monitored by professional monitoring centres, which have to be licensed by Guards as well.

Since 2008 Guards will not respond to self monitored alarms; they respond to monitored ones when there is a secondary confirmation i.e. monitoring centre made contact with the client or they can see something on CCTV.

Post edited by frozenbanana on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It seems to be time to replace our 20+ year old wired alarm system. Wiring is generally fine, though one sensor is broken. We might need a couple of additional sensors (shed), so I'm presuming wireless would work there.

We don't need CCTV or bell integration at present, but it would be nice to have these options. I can't see much benefit in monitoring, so self monitoring for multiple users on phones would work best.

Am I missing anything here, or should I just be contacting a few local alarm companies for costings? 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The general advice here is too always get a couple of quotes from local companies.

Most would probably recommend a HKC 10270 which supports both wired and wireless sensors. You can self monitor with an app from HKC, but there is a yearly cost for that.

Another option worth considering is to go the DIY route, Ajax Alarm or AX Pro seem like good options. They are mostly wireless systems, though Ajax now has options to include wired sensors, though if doing DIY that might be trickier. The advantage of these systems is that self monitoring via app is free, so might be cheaper long term.

• Advertisement

Thanks, DIY isn't really in my skillset, so I'll see if I can find some local providers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would strongly recommend the HKC. Reliable, robust and flexible. A professional system that offers self monitoring options as well as central station monitoring. A wide variety of wireless and wired devices are also available. Many of the DIY systems are made simple to install at the cost of proper security. The bar for EN50131 is set so low that any system that does not meet this very basic standard is not worth considering IMHO.

The Siemens offering is good too.

Best of luck with whatever you go with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The big issue with HKC is that they will not provide full installation manuals if you're not a paid up member of the PSA rip off, and they also restrict access to IP monitoring in the same way.

Getting adequate information about the panel is very hard, even though it's completely legal for a user to install their own panel, and finding out the latest release of the software is equally restricted.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Agettle

ADT with my friends, so far without complaints, the 7th month has passed

"I would strongly recommend the HKC. Reliable, robust and flexible. A professional system that offers self monitoring options as well as central station monitoring. A wide variety of wireless and wired devices are also available. Many of the DIY systems are made simple to install at the cost of proper security. The bar for EN50131 is set so low that any system that does not meet this very basic standard is not worth considering IMHO."

Just to be clear Ajax Alarm and AX Pro are both "professional systems" and EN50131 certified and can support central station monitoring and a far greater variety of wired and wireless devices then HKC normally support, including some excellent external sensor options.

It is just a pity that most installers in Ireland mostly just support the old fashioned and pretty dated HKC system and not the much more modern and versatile Ajax and AX systems. Thus Ajax/AX are left mostly to the DIY folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Speaking as a professional

A DIY installer cannot connect an Ajax system to professional monitoring as one needs a PSA licence for same.

An installation done by a DIY person, cannot comply with EN50131 as certificates cannot be issued for same by that individual.

HKC is a professional manufacturer with professional solutions for professional installers.

What's your opinion on the Ajax if fitted by HomeSecure (believe only licenced installers in Ireland)?

I am in no-mans-land a little and was hoping this thread might help - but more questions than answers.

Have a pre-wired house - so obviously "any old" HKC alarm installed will be worthwhile - however would really really appreciate the future-proofing and tech of something like the Ajax Fibra (wired but not available in Ireland) and it does seem a pity that there's no real progress on the HKC alarms in terms of their interactivity with things like homeassistant (lots of effort to 'smartify' the alarm as seen in https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058006828/hkc-alarm-with-home-assistant-integration/ and in some cases progress to integrate actively blocked).

When you say integration, what is it you are trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

What are the advantages that Ajax have that you don't get with HKC or ADT? I'm looking at systems at the moment and I can only seem to get quotes for HKC.

I'm looking at installing an alarm system in a semi d, 8 windows, french doors, motion sensors, 3 pir CCTV cameras outside, motion detection, inertia detection and 2 internal CCTV. The most important thing is having an app and being able to get notifications of detections and to have a back-up battery in a power outage.

Is there an integrated system that does all this that isn't HKC?

I would also require remote monitoring as well but the app is the most key as it is for an elderly parent who is moving into a new build that will be wired for an alarm and I need to be able to set the alarm remotely for them.

remote arm

would also like to make use of the info provided by any PIR / window sensors.

(simple example being to able to be aware that windows are / aren't open - and to not switch on heating if they are)

Standard install? If so I'll be getting it done asap!

(Note don't want to use hkc ecosystem to be turning off heat pump etc, have all of that already built via homeassistant, simply want homeassistant to be aware of all the sensor states too)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Hkc hybrid has all those features. It will let you know through your app if anything is open, Tamper faults low 🔋 etc. You can have the option of to inhibit, open zones, Tampers etc. Setting up temporary user codes for workers on your property etc.

Risco is another good option.

I don't want to use a hkc app - I have enough apps already.

Integrating it with homeassistant is what I'm after.

Does look like Risco can support local polling access via Homeassistant

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I’m considering getting a wireless alarm fitted from home secure at the moment. I really haven’t a clue about alarms. Is the system the offer good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Second this.

Looking at the same, any suggestions?

Don't know about Home Secure but I got a bit peeved that most of the providers I contacted were pushing pay-monthly deals which cost more, once you get into year 3 or beyond. There was just one provider who was happy to give a straight up-front payment cost, and he did a neat. clean install for me last month - Best Security.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 linthum

anyone know if ring is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

@emmet02 Did you find a good option for an alarm that will work with HA? It looks like Texecom or Siemens Vanderbilt SPC are the two most popular options but can't find an installer for either...

Afraid not - got absolutely nowhere and got side-tracked. I am thinking that a konnected.io board sat on top of any wired "dumb" alarm that supports it is my way forward. Alternatively - just go full konnected.io board [no other alarm 'host' ] (https://konnected.io/products/konnected-alarm-panel-pro-12-zone-kit) with my pre-wiring, and then I "just" need to find someone to install all sensors etc.

However have done almost nothing further than that so far.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up buying a Texecom starter kit and have spent the last week installing. There are a few things to get your head around but I'm pretty happy with the system and it all seems to be working now. Haven't integrated it with HA yet, that's the next step!

Advertisement