Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bills forged/overpriced by flatmate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are you reliant on your flatmate in some way to get your deposit back?
    If that's why you are afraid of loosing money, just make sure he does not take any money from it when you are leaving e.g. if he offers to take your last bills from it.

If he's forging bills I wouldn't be trusting him to give back any deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edlevy

thanks for the tips, guys!
    i've just discovered that the broadband is also being forged lol.
    EI won't let me have access as I don't have any information of the account holder's.
    contacting threshold, they reccomended me get the originals with garda before talking to him.
    i just got a receipt describing all the expenses i've paid and he signed today. tomorrow i will get the originals and then talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You could also remind him that companies would take a dim view of their invoices been forged.
    You have him over a barrel now.
    Could you report him to the agency and ask that he be the one removed?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

tell him you want a grand in cash or you'll go to the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Amazing, keep us posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 edlevy

I sent the message with the complete screenshots marked and that was the reply of the agency:

Hi

I manage
    , your email has been forwarded to me.

I wouldn’t be able to comment on a the below query.

Regards

[...]
    Senior Property Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

edlevy wrote: »
    I sent the message with the complete screenshots marked and that was the reply of the agency:

Hi

I manage
    , your email has been forwarded to me.

I wouldn’t be able to comment on a the below query.

Regards

[...]
    Senior Property Manager

What was your query to the property manager?

Unhelpful as their reply is, it's probably not their issue at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could also remind him that companies would take a dim view of their invoices been forged.
    You have him over a barrel now.
    Could you report him to the agency and ask that he be the one removed?

The companies won't give a shíte if the bills are forged.

OP, tell him to show you the real bills and give you back the money he took or you're not giving him another cent for bills until he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Had to follow this thread can't wait for the reaction he gets when caught

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

OP, please do a reaction video!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

drive[dot]google[dot]com/file/d/1awVyx5XC4Lc_PW56vgEfs1_zp3BcjV2C/view?usp=sharing

I'm not sure but all those red lines and arrows do seem a bit questionnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

CRIMINAL JUSTICE (THEFT AND FRAUD OFFENCES) ACT 2001

Forgery.

25.—(1) A person is guilty of forgery if he or she makes a false instrument with the intention that it shall be used to induce another person to accept it as genuine and, by reason of so accepting it, to do some act, or to make some omission, to the prejudice of that person or any other person.

(2) A person guilty of forgery is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

Using false instrument.

26.—(1) A person who uses an instrument which is, and which he or she knows or believes to be, a false instrument, with the intention of inducing another person to accept it as genuine and, by reason of so accepting it, to do some act, or to make some omission, or to provide some service, to the prejudice of that person or any other person is guilty of an offence.

“instrument” means any document, whether of a formal or informal character ...

30.—(1) An instrument is false for the purposes of this Part if it purports—

(e) to have been altered in any respect by a person who did not in fact alter it in that respect,

(2) A person shall be treated for the purposes of this Part as making a false instrument if he or she alters an instrument so as to make it false in any respect (whether or not it is false in some other respect apart from that alteration).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

embedding ops picture....

527850.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

Mr.S wrote: »
    EI won't deal with OP as he is not the account holder. No exceptions.

I understand that, But, if a supposed EI document is being presented to a person as legitimate in order to get the person to hand over credit, surely there must be some sort of reason then for EI to follow what is going on.

You can see from the screenshot that it's been (badly) edited, not the name or account number being redacted.

What I can see from the screenshot is that OP has presented us with something that has many questions in my mind. There are two main parts, the upper and the lower. Who made the upper part and who made the lower part ? Pardon me , but , that is not clear to me , one part seems edited compared to the other , so where did the part that does not look edited come from ?

EI will not make mistakes in simple addition of lines on a bill. It's physically not possible with the systems they use. The only complication is when there is a rebate or credit, not in this instance though. It's 100% edited by the account holder.

Everybody makes mistakes. Simple mistakes are not made by people adding 2 + 2 to get 3. They are made by Microsoft Office programmers making slight mistakes in Formulae.

OP should , in my view , give us an in depth explanation of the numbers , I'm not attacking OP or questioning the truthfulness of the person , but a few simple month names or period dates and actual totals expected compared to the mickey mouse one should be presented. If OP went further , do you think OP could just say , here look at that image of a screenshot ? No , OP needs to make a detailed explanation of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I understand that, But, if a supposed EI document is being presented to a person as legitimate in order to get the person to hand over credit, surely there must be some sort of reason then for EI to follow what is going on.

What I can see from the screenshot is that OP has presented us with something that has many questions in my mind. There are two main parts, the upper and the lower. Who made the upper part and who made the lower part ? Pardon me , but , that is not clear to me , one part seems edited compared to the other , so where did the part that does not look edited come from ?

Everybody makes mistakes. Simple mistakes are not made by people adding 2 + 2 to get 3. They are made by Microsoft Office programmers making slight mistakes in Formulae.

OP should , in my view , give us an in depth explanation of the numbers , I'm not attacking OP or questioning the truthfulness of the person , but a few simple month names or period dates and actual totals expected compared to the mickey mouse one should be presented. If OP went further , do you think OP could just say , here look at that image of a screenshot ? No , OP needs to make a detailed explanation of what is going on.

I think everyone except you understands what's going on.

I think everyone except you understands what's going on.

Explain it to me , because I can't find on that screenshot even one identity mark that tells me OP didn't make it ! And , if that's OPS presentation , it's a mess. Go and learn some book-keeping and write a decent page FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Explain it to me , because I can't find on that screenshot even one identity mark that tells me OP didn't make it ! And , if that's OPS presentation , it's a mess. Go and learn some book-keeping and write a decent page FFS.

Being the internet, we have to take the Op at face value.

Most people can see from the image that there's messing going on with the utility bills, they don't need to write up a report for you.

Being the internet, we have to take the Op at face value.

Most people can see from the image that there's messing going on with the utility bills, they don't need to write up a report for you.

Show me one thing in that screenshot that shows any part of it is legitimate . How do you know OP didn't make it all up. And don't play the , they all believe it , crap . Fools seldom differ .

And , if we want to refine our definitions , that's not a utility bill , it's a something or other , undefined !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I admire your restraint OP you are doing things properly.

I would have lost the head immediately once I was sure I was being robbed and probably tried to beat the crap out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

thanks for the tips, guys!
    i've just discovered that the broadband is also being forged lol.
    EI won't let me have access as I don't have any information of the account holder's.
    contacting threshold, they reccomended me get the originals with garda before talking to him.
    i just got a receipt describing all the expenses i've paid and he signed today. tomorrow i will get the originals and then talk to him.

This was a really shrewd move. I'm surprised they agreed to it.

• Advertisement

I hope the person with the problem finds their solution. If you didn't need the debate you wouldn't have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Show me one thing in that screenshot that shows any part of it is legitimate . How do you know OP didn't make it all up. And don't play the , they all believe it , crap . Fools seldom differ .

And , if we want to refine our definitions , that's not a utility bill , it's a something or other , undefined !

Careful OP, looks like the flatmate has found the thread!

noodler wrote: »
    Careful OP, looks like the flatmate has found the thread!

When it comes to the ESB bill, all those using the electricity should contribute to a fund regularly and what is left over when everybody has had a chance to see the bill will be spent on mince , potatoes and beans for the communal dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Those bills are high are really high . What type property is it? Is it all electric heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sad way for a flatmate-ship to end - finding out one is possibly totally dishonest. I’m looking at it from a small screen - is there a possibiliy that the cells used to import the data are using different fonts as can happen if someone backend messes with it - hence the misalignment- or that the font used does not give the equal weight to each character you might expect? I used commission a lot of marketing material and do a lot of proofing before I signed off on them - you’d be surprised how annonying numeration can be if you mix text and numbers closely in your print.

As regards your flatmate - it say so little bout them. Are they unemployed now with the covid, or going into an office and resenting you working from home and increasing their share of the joint bill - could this be why they are doing it? You’d have to be really hard up or very resentful to pull a stunt like that - I hope they’re not just pitifully mean.

As regards the gaurds and fraud they will shrug it off and say it is a civil affair - it will cost you much more to chase it through the courts than to let it go, angry and all as it would make you.

I was settling bills a while back and discovered that there was a jump in the maths totals and could not work it out - after I rang them (also EI) it turned out that they print their eco-/environmental charges and other levvies on the back of the bill - Not itemised under the units, vat etc subtotal. Half the bill is vat and then various cruel levvies - it might be worth checking the additionals on the back of the subtoteled bill before you accuse them straight out.

Regarding the broadband some places do ‘deals’ which spread the annual contract charges amount unevenly - eg with my Virgin broadband I got a loyalty /complaint price for the first x months and after this period expired it went back to the Y proper fee for the remainder of the contract. Perhaps you were working from an averaging of the annual overall contract bill that is due but just distributed differently over the term.

Or maybe your fm is a something I’m not allowed type here.

Tread carefully :0
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

ted1 wrote: »
    Those bills are high are really high . What type property is it? Is it all electric heating?
    Electric heating...during the Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I can't remember the last time I've read a thread and wanted a win for the OP as much as I do for this OP.
    Best of luck oul bean, we're rooting for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fletch wrote: »
    Electric heating...during the Summer?

You need to heat water for a shower

It’s crazy high.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

ted1 wrote: »

If you have an immersion and need to use the dryer, then I wouldn't call them high. Our summer bills are around 240 for GF and myself. OP and housemate would be doing their washing separate so the bills should be higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sad way for a flatmate-ship to end - finding out one is possibly totally dishonest. I’m looking at it from a small screen - is there a possibiliy that the cells used to import the data are using different fonts as can happen if someone backend messes with it - hence the misalignment- or that the font used does not give the equal weight to each character you might expect? I used commission a lot of marketing material and do a lot of proofing before I signed off on them - you’d be surprised how annonying numeration can be if you mix text and numbers closely in your print.

As regards your flatmate - it say so little bout them. Are they unemployed now with the covid, or going into an office and resenting you working from home and increasing their share of the joint bill - could this be why they are doing it? You’d have to be really hard up or very resentful to pull a stunt like that - I hope they’re not just pitifully mean.

As regards the gaurds and fraud they will shrug it off and say it is a civil affair - it will cost you much more to chase it through the courts than to let it go, angry and all as it would make you.

I was settling bills a while back and discovered that there was a jump in the maths totals and could not work it out - after I rang them (also EI) it turned out that they print their eco-/environmental charges and other levvies on the back of the bill - Not itemised under the units, vat etc subtotal. Half the bill is vat and then various cruel levvies - it might be worth checking the additionals on the back of the subtoteled bill before you accuse them straight out.

Regarding the broadband some places do ‘deals’ which spread the annual contract charges amount unevenly - eg with my Virgin broadband I got a loyalty /complaint price for the first x months and after this period expired it went back to the Y proper fee for the remainder of the contract. Perhaps you were working from an averaging of the annual overall contract bill that is due but just distributed differently over the term.

Or maybe your fm is a something I’m not allowed type here.

Tread carefully :0
    Best of luck with it.

They are obtaining money by deception, and may have been doing so for some time, and to more than one person. If you ask me this is definitely a job for the gardai.

Advertisement