Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a smart trainer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah warranty seems a huge issue with trainers - they don't seem to be built to last
    I'm not sure that's true tbh. It's more that returns are a complete pain! The turbos with the most poor reviews online, are also those that sell the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    I've just sold mine, great unit, really solid and reliable, I just hate trainers, end of story

Does the unit support cadence out of the box?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Does the unit support cadence out of the box?

Supposedly but I have a cadence sensor so am not certain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm going to order tonight - got rid of my trainer as I hadn't used it since last lockdown but remembered that it was the only thing keeping me occupied and I'm worried about what is coming our way.

Kickr Core vs Direto XR - anyone tried both or have any views either way?

Although tbh I'll go for whatever I find in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I'm going to order tonight - got rid of my trainer as I hadn't used it since last lockdown but remembered that it was the only thing keeping me occupied and I'm worried about what is coming our way.

I think they're both good trainers. The Tacx Flux might be in the same price band.
    After years on a wheel on, I treated myself to a second hand Tacx Neo and there's no comparison.
    Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

So what did you order? I'd say you had a better chance if getting the Direto as as stock item. The Kickr has an early November eta in most places I've looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

So what did you order? I'd say you had a better chance if getting the Direto as as stock item. The Kickr has an early November eta in most places I've looked.

I got a Kickr Core on Chainreaction only last week. Ordered over the weekend and delivered I think on Wednesday.

Nothing yet because stock everywhere of both is very limited. Delivery direct from Wahoo is 2-3 weeks so that is probably my best option, I'm just checking with a few bike shops to see if there is one in stock anywhere. Everything seems to have sold out over the last four weeks or so when there was stock available of the Direto XR for just over 700€

I found a Saris H3 in stock in the same price range but reviews seem terrible on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Trythis crowd in Italy- got a Neo 2T off them when no where else had them back in APril.

https://www.glamsport.it/rulli-bici/rulli-wahoo

Delivery was prompt and only 30€

Nothing yet because stock everywhere of both is very limited. Delivery direct from Wahoo is 2-3 weeks so that is probably my best option, I'm just checking with a few bike shops to see if there is one in stock anywhere. Everything seems to have sold out over the last four weeks or so when there was stock available of the Direto XR for just over 700€

I found a Saris H3 in stock in the same price range but reviews seem terrible on that.

I'd go direct from Wahoo as you get a simple 30 day no quibble return from them. Take it out, try it, and if it isn't what you wanted, send it back.

• Advertisement

I'd go direct from Wahoo as you get a simple 30 day no quibble return from them. Take it out, try it, and if it isn't what you wanted, send it back.
    How are they for warranty returns? Would it be better to have bought directly or from a small LBS? Cost is the same for that trainer virtually everywhere

How are they for warranty returns? Would it be better to have bought directly or from a small LBS? Cost is the same for that trainer virtually everywhere

They have a good reputation as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’ve been hemming and hawing about getting a smart trainer, but with the latest news and level 5 and winter I’m defo bitting the bullet at the end of this week when I get paid. Assuming I can get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

bazermc wrote: »
    I’ve been hemming and hawing about getting a smart trainer, but with the latest news and level 5 and winter I’m defo bitting the bullet at the end of this week when I get paid. Assuming I can get one.

I was thinking the same, but blew everything I had on a Concept2 rower. Is the Suito any good?

I'd say alot of pay checks are getting hammered for trainers end of this week.

I'd say alot of pay checks are getting hammered for trainers end of this week.
    That's exactly why mine is going on the credit card tonight

I can't do it again, spent a bit of time on Strava heatmaps looking for unusual routes near my house. Level 5 won't change my working day so I'll still be commuting and so I think I am just going down the route of CX tyres and exploring. I think it was hard to do (for me) as a family person. Racing is different in the real world as its an out of sight, out of mind mentality (for me), I just can't see me sitting on a bike in the next room for two hours again and being OK with it.

Also based on the number of racers at Mondello who were disappointed that Zwift did not translate to the real world, I'll turn up next season with no illusions.

On a completely different note, I can see why people like it and get sucked in, I know a few who won't race in the real world again, it just won't be me.

I think this time round I'm going to avoid racing & use Zwift for training / building route badges. Racing is extremely addictive & draining online so it's best left alone during winter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Great for their Bolt at least. Have replaced two with no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't do it again, spent a bit of time on Strava heatmaps looking for unusual routes near my house. Level 5 won't change my working day so I'll still be commuting and so I think I am just going down the route of CX tyres and exploring. I think it was hard to do (for me) as a family person. Racing is different in the real world as its an out of sight, out of mind mentality (for me), I just can't see me sitting on a bike in the next room for two hours again and being OK with it.

Also based on the number of racers at Mondello who were disappointed that Zwift did not translate to the real world, I'll turn up next season with no illusions.

On a completely different note, I can see why people like it and get sucked in, I know a few who won't race in the real world again, it just won't be me.

I know the feeling, after going round in circles for most of the spring (I just refuse to use the turbo when the weather is good) I bought a CX bike, been using it on canal banks, bog roads and the Curragh, thankfully a good proportion of those will be available to me under the 5km rule and even if i wander a little off the reservation in the middle of the bog it's hardly going to be the crime of the century.

I've an old Bkool smart pro and a lemond revolution which I got for warming up at TTs, it's lovely to ride, I think I'll stick with them.

Also, there are other apps apart from Zwift, I've used bigringvr quite a bit, works very well if you want to step away from the competitive side of online training, well worth a look, there's a free trial available, plenty of other options too.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Also, there are other apps apart from Zwift, I've used bigringvr quite a bit, works very well if you want to step away from the competitive side of online training, well worth a look, there's a free trial available, plenty of other options too.

I just could never do training. I have used Wattbikes, turbos, rollers, smart trainers. it is just not me. If I kept my Core, I would have just done training and considering the pains in my hip and Achilles only started after I started using it, its just not sensible for me. 5km from my home though I am really lucky, I have some class climbs both on road and off road.

this isn't a post against e trainers, I wish my hip and Achilles didn't start troubling me or I would have kept at it but 3 months without touching the thing and I realised it was money down the drain.

Kind of jealous of people who don't get lasting pain from using them as I did enjoy the races, even with the guilt from other rooms in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I just could never do training. I have used Wattbikes, turbos, rollers, smart trainers. it is just not me. If I kept my Core, I would have just done training and considering the pains in my hip and Achilles only started after I started using it, its just not sensible for me. 5km from my home though I am really lucky, I have some class climbs both on road and off road.

this isn't a post against e trainers, I wish my hip and Achilles didn't start troubling me or I would have kept at it but 3 months without touching the thing and I realised it was money down the drain.

Kind of jealous of people who don't get lasting pain from using them as I did enjoy the races, even with the guilt from other rooms in the house

Sorry, didn't mean that to be specifically directed to you, more of a heads up in general, especially at this time of the year which should be less competitive anyway.

I'm not advising against fancy smart trainers either, I realise I'm lucky that i live in the country, have a seasonal occupation which allows me to sneak off outdoors when it's half suitable outside and my family is at the stage where I'm not as often required, they're a good tool and nice to have but a bit expensive to have hanging around when your heart isn't in it.

Didn't think it was a dig. I did enjoy the racing but work never died off for me, and occasionally was busier than ever. It was great as I love work but I was racing on zwift and not fit to walk right on several occasions. I even drove on occasion where I could barely walk. Then coming home to a packed house who had to work from home who seemed to think you hadn't done a day's work so ended up sprinting round for ages after work. I did enjoy it but I'll never do it again. I'm too competitive, I couldn't sit on it again without racing, so I'm just not doing it.

It's KOM hunting time this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That must be a fit issue though Cram - why would it effect you on the turbo and not outside? Assuming the same bike and shoes?

The only issues I've ever had have been saddle related - raising the front wheel more and built a very basic rocker plate and accepted you have to wear decent shorts on it. The few competitive events I've done on zwift I'm out of the saddle far more than doing TrainerRoad.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That must be a fit issue though Cram - why would it effect you on the turbo and not outside? Assuming the same bike and shoes?

The only issues I've ever had have been saddle related - raising the front wheel more and built a very basic rocker plate and accepted you have to wear decent shorts on it. The few competitive events I've done on zwift I'm out of the saddle far more than doing TrainerRoad.

I would be quite inflexible at the best of times. A rocker plate would have helped but I'm just not arsed. To be honest I could have solved a lot of issues with a stretching routine and proper warm ups. I used to jump on about 2 minutes before a race and go from zero to 90 straight off the bat. Fit issue is fine, its the same bike inside and out, and am happy there are no issues there.

OK Wahoo Kickr Core ordered - direct from Wahoo (didn't find anywhere else with it in stock at RRP).

It is saying that it ships in 2-3 weeks (just in time so I can send it back if I can get a deal on Black Friday) so I will update once it ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

OK Wahoo Kickr Core ordered - direct from Wahoo (didn't find anywhere else with it in stock at RRP).

It is saying that it ships in 2-3 weeks (just in time so I can send it back if I can get a deal on Black Friday) so I will update once it ships.

Mine was delivered from Wahoo in around a week.

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Mine was delivered from Wahoo in around a week.

It's gone out of stock now so hoping I got in just in time and they are sending me one from stock

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Hey, hoping some cycling pro's can help me out with this rather silly query on direct drive turbo's -

Myself and my partner want to get a direct drive turbo but have a potential compatibility issue (with the turbo, not with each other!). Her bike is an 11 speed rear cassette, mine is a 10 speed. I have been told that with a direct drive turbo this doesn't matter as you will put a 10 speed cassette on the turbo, stay in the one gear on the turbo and the turbo will adjust resistance. Is this correct?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

9Crimes wrote: »
    Hey, hoping some cycling pro's can help me out with this rather silly query on direct drive turbo's -

Myself and my partner want to get a direct drive turbo but have a potential compatibility issue (with the turbo, not with each other!). Her bike is an 11 speed rear cassette, mine is a 10 speed. I have been told that with a direct drive turbo this doesn't matter as you will put a 10 speed cassette on the turbo, stay in the one gear on the turbo and the turbo will adjust resistance. Is this correct?

Thanks!

It is and it isn't. You can put the trainer into a mode where it maintains your power output regardless of your gearing, the 'terrain' in zwift or whatever etc, but it sort of takes away one of the main aspects of a smart trainer to do that.

On Zwift and the other platforms you select a route and the smart trainer varies the resistance based on whether you are drafting, whether you are descending, on a hill with changing inclines etc.

If you are in ERG mode (controlled resistance) all the time you might as well be on an exercise bike as you're going to be in the same gear putting out the same watts whether you're pootling along on the flat or climbing Alpe d'Zwift.

You can just buy an extra cassette and change over and back without too much hassle, but I'd be sceptical of a salesman trying to tell you that you wouldn't want to change gears or vary resistance on a smart turbo.

Advertisement