Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billydoc

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Off be interested if he's delivering to Dublin. Not sure where you are yourself

I contacted him last week. He was expecting a delivery after Xmas and it hasn’t come yet. He doesn’t know when it’ll come. He was blaming covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi all,

Does anyone know were is a good deal to order kiln dried oak? I want at least 2m3

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

stevek93 wrote: »

€375.00 delivered ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Coop superstores is 50 euro to deliver one or two pallets of wood, it's 75 euro for three or more.

That's the killer and makes it go from.good value to not.

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Yeah its shady alright, looking around even short changed the price is about average for kiln dried hardwood. I'll push them again tomorrow and see will they offer an acceptable refund. I just saw red when he said €6 and were doing me a deal as it should be costing me more!

What happened in the end?

I know someone previously posted a comment about these and said they were good. Does anyone else have feedback on them. I normally but a couple of pallets of hardwood, but I've enough until the end of February, maybe early March. Instead of ordering now and having the shed filled up as a result, I was looking at these:

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Crates--Hardwood-Firewood-Logs/Premium-Oak-Hardwood-Logs-6-Pk-10kg-0051920

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Firewood--Wooden-Logs/Premium-Beech-Hardwood-Logs-6-Pk-10kg-0051919

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Wooden-Logs-And-Briquettes/Premium-Wood-Logs-10kg-0051913

No going by weight alone, there's 5 for 20 euro, so for 200 euro, you get 50 packs, that's 500kg. Most of the pallets are in weight approximately, 400 kg roughly I believe and are coming out that price or dearer. Am I missing something here but this is great value and you don't need to bulk buy. You can get 50 kg worth for 20 euro.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts or experiences with these logs. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

bailey99 wrote: »
    What happened in the end?

I ended up keeping it as I was stuck, they did give a €20 refund and honestly believed they were doing me a great deal! They also wouldn't entertain any conversation about the different timber, less volume extra pallets etc. in their mind the differences were completely insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tnegun wrote: »
    I ended up keeping it as I was stuck, they did give a €20 refund and honestly believed they were doing me a great deal! They also wouldn't entertain any conversation about the different timber, less volume extra pallets etc. in their mind the differences were completely insignificant.

They sound like a bunch of cowboys to be honest, not only sending out the wrong type of wood ordered but also leaving you short on the volume. That kind of carry on is just stupid on their behalf as when people find a good supplier they will order there year after year. At least you'll know to avoid them next winter and other posters here can make up their minds on them too, I wouldnt be touching them with a barge pole based on how they treated your legitimate complaint.

Will you at least have enough wood to see you through the rest of the winter or will you go back to Monahans for another order instead?

Coop superstores is 50 euro to deliver one or two pallets of wood, it's 75 euro for three or more.

The delivery for me was 25 euro but that is each pallet.

• Advertisement

The delivery for me was 25 euro but that is each pallet.

I usually burn ash burn was offered a deal on beech instead this time. I hear it's as good as oak/ash so I'm going to go for it and make up my own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They sound like a bunch of cowboys to be honest, not only sending out the wrong type of wood ordered but also leaving you short on the volume. That kind of carry on is just stupid on their behalf as when people find a good supplier they will order there year after year. At least you'll know to avoid them next winter and other posters here can make up their minds on them too, I wouldnt be touching them with a barge pole based on how they treated your legitimate complaint.

Will you at least have enough wood to see you through the rest of the winter or will you go back to Monahans for another order instead?
    I should have enough to get this month out of it at least maybe a week or two more depending what the weathers like. Will definitely be back to Monahans later in the summer I can only store about 1.5-2m3 though so can't buy enough for the whole season in one go.

Well hopefully it gets you through to about Paddys day and then it should get a bit warmer then. I ran out on Paddys weekend last year but didnt order again. I just got a five bags of firewood from Woodies for the odd really cold night in April and that did me grand as the fire isnt my main heating, Ive a heat pump there as well.

Last summer Monahans sent me a text around the end of July offering 10% off crates. I didnt take it up at the time but I think if you are buying a 2m3 crate in the middle of summer theres no harm in asking for a bit of a discount.

I usually burn ash burn was offered a deal on beech instead this time. I hear it's as good as oak/ash so I'm going to go for it and make up my own mind.

I have ash and oak but I much prefer the oak am I right? I find the oak embers much longer so if you forget about the fire with the oak you are okay for a while with the ash it’s gone and you have to light it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I know someone previously posted a comment about these and said they were good. Does anyone else have feedback on them. I normally but a couple of pallets of hardwood, but I've enough until the end of February, maybe early March. Instead of ordering now and having the shed filled up as a result, I was looking at these:

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Crates--Hardwood-Firewood-Logs/Premium-Oak-Hardwood-Logs-6-Pk-10kg-0051920

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Firewood--Wooden-Logs/Premium-Beech-Hardwood-Logs-6-Pk-10kg-0051919

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Wooden-Logs-And-Briquettes/Premium-Wood-Logs-10kg-0051913

No going by weight alone, there's 5 for 20 euro, so for 200 euro, you get 50 packs, that's 500kg. Most of the pallets are in weight approximately, 400 kg roughly I believe and are coming out that price or dearer. Am I missing something here but this is great value and you don't need to bulk buy. You can get 50 kg worth for 20 euro.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts or experiences with these logs. Thanks.

They are reconstituted from chippings/sawdust similar to a peat bricket from turf dust.

Slava Ukrainii

They are reconstituted from chippings/sawdust similar to a peat bricket from turf dust.

So are you saying they are rubbish and I should avoid them. I was gonna get these to tide me through end if winter season. But I was offered beech there earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I got similar wood logs from topline and they were utter shi7e
    Try a small pack as a tester

The internet isn’t for everyone

Cheers for the tip. I'll leave them off do. Thanks. In I'll try the beech wood, see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Cheers for the tip. I'll leave them off do. Thanks. In I'll try the beech wood, see how it goes.

beech isnt too bad tbh i had that last year delivered in a tonne bag

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So are you saying they are rubbish and I should avoid them. I was gonna get these to tide me through end if winter season. But I was offered beech there earlier.

Any reconstituted material will not give out the heat of an solid state material. They burn faster than the solid material as well. Most people only used brickets to start a fire seldom as the main fuel source.

Slava Ukrainii

OmegaGene wrote: »
    beech isnt too bad tbh i had that last year delivered in a tonne bag

Well I was offered beech or ash. I looked them up and beech actually had a higher output of heat. Small price difference with ash being slightly dearer approximately 6% dearer in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I got similar wood logs from topline and they were utter shi7e
    Try a small pack as a tester

Not all briquette logs are the same. Some burn well, some expand dangerously and are useless.

I have tried a lot of different types and (for me) have found ones that don't expand and burn well. I also think they are best suited to a stove where you can control the burn rate.

I gave a detailed post in this thread #627
    Others have also given their opinions on these types of logs.
    They may suit some people but not others.

I use them because I couldn't get consistently good quality wood for my stove.

It's not 616, if you locate it let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

It's not 616, if you locate it let me know.

Sorry, should have put on my reading glasses. :pac:
    It's #627 and I have edited the post to correct that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115208432&postcount=627
    lenscap wrote: »
    Sorry, should have put on my reading glasses. :pac:
    It's #627 and I have edited the post to correct that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Hi all
    Just wondering would anyone know where would be best value to order pallet of peat briquettes
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Got a pallet of Kiln dried beech delivered from CO-op for €199 , problem is the timber is covered in mould.

Also it's very difficult to burn, the logs feel heavy and all mould - quench after a while.

Have had two stoves and been burning ash and beech and birch for years no problem.

What should I do here - complain ? Or will they not care.

If was my own timber I'd be okay, but I payed 200 euro for Kiln dried timber which doesn't seem to be kiln dried at all.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Got a pallet of Kiln dried beech delivered from CO-op for €199 , problem is the timber is covered in mould.

Also it's very difficult to burn, the logs feel heavy and all mould - quench after a while.

Have had two stoves and been burning ash and beech and birch for years no problem.

What should I do here - complain ? Or will they not care.

If was my own timber I'd be okay, but I payed 200 euro for Kiln dried timber which doesn't seem to be kiln dried at all.

Complain absolutely. If you ordered a fillet steak but were given a pound of mince, would you accept it. When it was delivered you shouldn't have accepted it and raised concerns there and then.

• Advertisement

Yeah Id agree, take a few photos and email them to the Co-op. Its probably a genuine mistake from the Co-op and you'd expect them to sort it. They may ask for a delivery fee to replace it and thats probably fair enough as the issue wasnt raised upon delivery but Id still expect them to make it right.

Thing about mould is it will keep growing in our damp climate so by the time you get to the end of the crate those last logs will be even worse than what you are trying to burn now. And if they arent burning properly now you are in for a frustrating time with smoky fires that will produce little heat and leave creosote deposits on your chimney flue. Theres also a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from burning wet wood.

Advertisement