Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Septic tank registration

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

Is there anyone that can shed some light on the issue of what is deemed an 'acceptable' septic tank or an 'unacceptable' septic tank.
    The reason for my question is this: 'Rumours' are abounding that the majority, if not all of the septic tanks in Ireland will have to be replaced because they do not meet European standards. As you may be aware since 1975 when Ireland was told to get in line with the rest of Europe regarding waste water they have been deferring the issue time and time again. So much so that now Ireland is well behind the times when it comes to their obligations regarding waste water treatment. Hence the threat of large fines if they dont bring themselves into line. Our house is 2 years old and a 'Puraflow' septic tank was installed as per the instruction of our County Council. Now it seems that this 'style' of septic tank may be rendered inadequate to meet EU Standards. Could someone please confirm or scotch these rumours preferably with a 'link' as proof.
    The same issue arises with pensioners with concrete septic tanks which will have to be replaced at a cost borne by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move the above post to another thread on the same topic.

clanpiper wrote: »
    Is there anyone that can shed some light on the issue of what is deemed an 'acceptable' septic tank or an 'unacceptable' septic tank.
    The reason for my question is this: 'Rumours' are abounding that the majority, if not all of the septic tanks in Ireland will have to be replaced because they do not meet European standards. As you may be aware since 1975 when Ireland was told to get in line with the rest of Europe regarding waste water they have been deferring the issue time and time again. So much so that now Ireland is well behind the times when it comes to their obligations regarding waste water treatment. Hence the threat of large fines if they dont bring themselves into line. Our house is 2 years old and a 'Puraflow' septic tank was installed as per the instruction of our County Council. Now it seems that this 'style' of septic tank may be rendered inadequate to meet EU Standards. Could someone please confirm or scotch these rumours preferably with a 'link' as proof.
    The same issue arises with pensioners with concrete septic tanks which will have to be replaced at a cost borne by themselves.
    First of all have a read back through the other posts in this thread.

The answer to your query is "no one knows" There are no details available yet and when they do become available you can be sure they will be discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I paid €4700 for Aquamax treatment plant. €400 for groundwork's associated. €400 for Pea gravel polythene and percolation pipes. €3500 for county council fees for footpaths, street lights and common areas. ( I live in the sticks, nearest streetlight to my house is 6 miles away)

So after paying all that money to dispose of my own waste, if some jumped up planner or enforcement offices from EPA or County council comes knocking on my door to look charge MEinto my treatment plant, he'll end up head first in my sewerage.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

cabledude wrote: »
    I paid €4700 for Aquamax treatment plant. €400 for groundwork's associated. €400 for Pea gravel polythene and percolation pipes. €3500 for county council fees for footpaths, street lights and common areas. ( I live in the sticks, nearest streetlight to my house is 6 miles away)

So after paying all that money to dispose of my own waste, if some jumped up planner or enforcement offices from EPA or County council comes knocking on my door to look charge MEinto my treatment plant, he'll end up head first in my sewerage.:eek:
    If your system is working correctly, you should have nothing to worry about. If it's not, then you're potentially polluting groundwater - seems fair that there should be some form of system in place to ensure that this wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

If your system is working correctly, you should have nothing to worry about.

This is the worrying point I was making. There are a lot of perfectly good septic tanks in ireland but, for example Puraflo, what is to stop them saying that these systems are obselete and we have to upgrade our system to one of a European choice? Does anyone know of any European directives given to Greece and Spain. The stench of raw sewage when you walk down some of their town streets is overpowering?

clanpiper wrote: »
    There are a lot of perfectly good septic tanks in ireland but, for example Puraflo, what is to stop them saying that these systems are obselete and we have to upgrade our system to one of a European choice??
    As I said above thereare no details available yet with regards to how the scheme will be implemented but in any event Id be fairly sure that the manufacturers and suppliers will not be involved in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Supertech wrote: »
    If your system is working correctly, you should have nothing to worry about. If it's not, then you're potentially polluting groundwater - seems fair that there should be some form of system in place to ensure that this wouldn't happen.

Supertech you are 100% correct and i totally agree, but the point is Cabledude has been paying taxes just like every other country dweller to subsidise all the townies sewage treatments and sewage building treatment costs, whereas at the same time he has had to pay for his own on top of his taxes which went in part towards the townies.

Now someone has just imposed even more charges unfairly on all the country dwellers again so they are in fact paying 3 times instead of the townies one payment.

So is this what you call discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭creedp

fodda wrote: »
    Supertech you are 100% correct and i totally agree, but the point is Cabledude has been paying taxes just like every other country dweller to subsidise all the townies sewage treatments and sewage building treatment costs, whereas at the same time he has had to pay for his own on top of his taxes which went in part towards the townies.

Now someone has just imposed even more charges unfairly on all the country dwellers again so they are in fact paying 3 times instead of the townies one payment.

In fairness there are swings and roundabouts every which way and you makes you choices and have to live with consequences. I grew up in country and lived in city for a while and am recently back in countryside so I can look at it from both perspectives. I agree with you re: payment of planning levies for services and roads upkeep etc beng paid and getting nothing in return but unfortunately there is little to be done but pay the piper. These guys can force you to do anything they want and its like they are doing you a favour so you canb build your home. You are like a puppet on a string ... it must give great job satisfaction at times!! The introduction of water rates may address some of the perceived inequity in this respect and maybe who knows the next year the Troika will insist on a sewage charge:) Then we'll all be happy. However, in case there is any misconception about this charge .. it is simply a smash and grab tax, exploiting an EU Directive/Reg/whatever in order to leverage a few more bob out of the ordinary citizen. The most difficult part to take is that the people enforcing it are the worst polluters in this context. Bit of a joke but unfortunately the joke is on the people.

No I don't call it discrimination, I call it being responsible. I am a 'townie' who now lives in the country, and may well face having to upgrade my own system.

If a system is found to be defective, and is indeed polluting the groundwater in the area where it's installed I think it should be brought up to the mark - it's as simple as that. I'm lucky enough to have mains water, but there are people in rural areas whose wells have been polluted by dodgy septic tanks which were installed before there was any regulation about the installation of on site wastewater systems. Unfortunately there are septic tanks and treatment systems installed on sites which were never capable of accepting effluent. I understand peoples frustration, but something has to be done, and as muffler has said a couple of times in the thread nothing is confirmed as yet. People are getting worked up on the basis of rumour and speculation. Rather than suggest ramming a council officials head in a septic tank it might make more sense to write to the Department of the Environment and the EPA to have your say before the scheme is designed.
    However, in case there is any misconception about this charge .. it is simply a smash and grab tax, exploiting an EU Directive/Reg/whatever in order to leverage a few more bob out of the ordinary citizen.

A smash and grab tax it may be, that remains to be seen when the inspection scheme is finally unveiled, but there is no doubt that there's a problem there - all you have to do is read through some of threads in the Conatruction and Planning Forum to see some of the issues with installed systems, maintenance etc. I agree the tax may be unjust, but would you agree that something needs to be done ? Everyone is completely worked up about Building Regulations when it comes to fire safety in Priory Hall, but untreated effluent on rural sites is acceptable ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

No one is saying that any tank or person should be allowed to pollute anything and of course they should be put right or other............other and probably the best would be to have your tank blocked up and emptied once per week if you cant afford to have an upgrade right away.

The tank emptying could then be taken to the town or nearest treatment works for treatment..........this system works perfectly well in other countries.

Of course there are going to be some properties with tanks which are far too small and would never work in any situation, but these need an upgrade anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭creedp

A smash and grab tax it may be, that remains to be seen when the inspection scheme is finally unveiled, but there is no doubt that there's a problem there - all you have to do is read through some of threads in the Conatruction and Planning Forum to see some of the issues with installed systems, maintenance etc. I agree the tax may be unjust, but would you agree that something needs to be done ? Everyone is completely worked up about Building Regulations when it comes to fire safety in Priory Hall, but untreated effluent on rural sites is acceptable ?

I didn't say that anything shouldn't be done but I did say the 'registration tax' is a 'smash and grab' tax. Why charge for registration? If inspections occur and tanks fail then there will be the issue of upgrading these tanks and the cost of same but the 'registation tax' is simply a money making exercise. There has been regulation around septic tanks for a number of years now and they require planning. Is that not registration in itself? This is the problem in this country all the time, initiatives that should be simply about improving standards etc end up being sources of revenues with the ordinary guy having to shell out. Not always wanting to single out one group but when farmers were required to upgrade their facilities for cattle sewage they received 60% grants toward the cost and were able to claim back VAT even though they are not registered for VAT. On top of that they were grand-aided to build very nice expansive yards/sheds/you name it under the same guise. Why is it that wealthy farmers get massive grants to upgrade their business premises and home owners are told to suck it up and foot the full bill ( I accept this is not yet clear but it is a distinct possibility!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I assume if you have a treatment plant this doesnt apply. Some setups have a Septic tank that feeds a treatment plant. Sorry if this is repeated, I couldnt find it anywhere.

tred wrote: »
    I assume if you have a treatment plant this doesnt apply. Some setups have a Septic tank that feeds a treatment plant. Sorry if this is repeated, I couldnt find it anywhere.
    Moved to thread on this topic.

tred wrote: »
    The inspections relate to 'on site waste water treatment systems' therefore treatment plants are as open to inspection as septic tanks, although I would imagine that inspection of a treatment system would start with the homeowner being asked to produce documentary evidence of an ongoing maintenance contract. The exact details of the inspection routine are still not confirmed. The legislation is to be put out for public comment before being adopted.

Advertisement