Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wire sounds good.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I have a question regarding a note written in a baptism record (Kilnoe Parish, County Clare).

Link:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634660#page/1/mode/1up

Image:

This record has eluded me for quote some time because the transcript for the entry has the mother's name as Bridget Mugavin and I was searching for a Bridget Markham.

Upon a revisit and a closer look I notice that Markham is written above Mugavin, as well as a shorthand note.

Any ideas to the meaning of the note? Could it be referencing that Bridget was married to a Mr. Mugavin/Mr. Markham before her marriage to Michael Moloney?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

I'd say she was married twice.

The mark above is just the priests initials, think they are JG, they appear a few time just like EM, there is a note on the next page giving EM's name. Eugene something.

If the priests were still living by 1864 you may find their names on Civil Certs of marriages from the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There's a marriage of a James Mougavin to Bridget Plean in Killaloe, O Callaghan Mills in April 1845.

I can't find it on NLI, maybe someone can link to it here.

This is a screenshot from Ancestry, and the link;

EDIT: Link added...

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634684#page/19/mode/1up

Post edited by Hermy on

Not exactly a handwriting issue but I'm interested in opinions on this birth record for Thomas Keegan.

He's born in 1920 to Harriet Keegan nee Mickley but the space where his fathers name should be has an X through it.

His father sailed from Queenstown to New York in 1911 and I don't yet know what became of him.

It's the third entry from the bottom.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1920/01220/1507594.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh that's not something I've seen before. Is there a marriage for the parents?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, parents were married in Naas in 1897 following Harriet's baptism earlier the same month, she having been born in England and previously received a Church of England baptism.

The were living in Cork by the time of their third child's birth in 1903 though the second child's birth record gives the father, John Keegan's, address as London and he working as a groom on all records I have for him.

Thomas died at three weeks old and his death record describes him as a labourers child.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'd be inclined to assume that the family lost contact with the father after he went to America and that someone else is Thomas' father.

Perhaps a baptism record would clarify that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Certainly seems like he wasn't the father.

Genealogy Forum Mod

At the time (up to quite recently) a married woman's child was by law her husband's even if he wasn't the father so as he wasn't even named on this cert she may have said/believed he was dead or refused to give his name. It's odd that even his surname was written down.

It's a very unusual cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If she knew the husband was not the father it's odd she didn't say who the father was.

But there could be any number of reasons why she withheld the real fathers name. I've seen the father's name left blank but that's a very definite cross for the name and profession.

Yes it's one of those where the 'what' seems obvious but the 'why' is yet another imponderable to add to my collection!

Genealogy Forum Mod

I wonder could someone check if the front page of the Freeman's Journal of Oct 9th 1885 is any more legible at Find My Past than it is at the Irish News Archive.

It's the marriage notice of Joseph Halpin and Bedelia Nolan and there are what appear to be two words in brackets after the brides name which I can't make out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10 euro_girl21

It says "...Bedelia (Dotie) second daughter of the late John Nolan"

That's brilliant euro girl - thanks!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Awesome. And you'd never have guessed Dotie as a diminutive for Bedelia.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I don't think it is a diminutive, it's a nickname - Dotie, from a little dote (darling). I've seen it associated with other christian names also. A variation of Bridget/Bedelia that I encountered a while back was 'Pidgie' (in a Cork family).

Morning

Interested in opinions please of the marriage of Terence Dunne to Mary Dunne on 17/2/1868

https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000633359_024?print=true

Mary's parents are Cornelius and Margaret Thompson of Westmeath. There's something in the dispensations box but I can't read it.

Interestingly, the civil marriage for this couple has recorded Mary Smith, and she later married a second time, where her parents are recorded as Cornelius and Bridget. But I've got enough to confirm it's the same woman.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It looks something like...

Banns in Diocese/ Born in Diocese

of Meath dis...

by Revd P. Duff

P.P. Dunshaughlin

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks H.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

What do people think of this birth for Michael Gray please? https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03575/2317649.pdf

Place of birth

Mother's birth name

I ask because it does not appear to match the corresponding baptismal record/other children born to the couple or their marriage, which I can only find in the church (1864) but not civil.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I can't find a Derrytamer in Meath though. Agree on the surname.

I think there might be 2 couples called Philip & Jane Gray.

When I use familysearch I see some baptisms in Enfield to a mother Jane Baker, but also Jane Bligh in Bellivor parish, where Derryconnor is situated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Figured this out. Jane married twice. Baker by birth, first marriage: Bligh.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could I get some opinions on this Irish census return please?

I'm interested in the number of years married and number of children born and still living.

The writing isn't very clear so I'm interested to know if ye see the same numbers I am seeing, thanks.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003181985/

Genealogy Forum Mod

I’d go with 42 married, 6 born, 5 living

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

To me it appears as 42, 6 and 5 as well.

Given the similar way they wrote a 5 in line 6 (and that there is no 4 to refer back to)....

Thanks folks - that's what I'm seeing too.

I'm struggling to account for all of her children, particularly from the first marriage, so it helps to know there were only six of them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I agree on 42 and 6 but think the number still living is '3' not 5. I agree that figure is slightly different/less 'loopy' to the 3 in the other ages, but the initial downstroke of the figure is very far to the right snd too far off the vertical to be a 5. Could that by why you are having difficulty finding them?

Advertisement