Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Rain" in Los Angeles

Comments

• 99% of the time it is perfectly warm not too hot not too cold there. Any change for from the norm is a big deal there. They aren`t used to it and it gets exaggerated in the news. Plenty of shows/movies make reference to the joke that it is "always 75f in LA". If it drops below 20 people whip out scarves and coats - any chance to show off some fashion too. Typical LA!

Must get some of the most perfect weather on earth, be a great place if it wasn`t for all the traffic and sprawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Seems it never rains in southern California
    Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
    It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
    It pours, man, it pours

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is that video for real, seems like a spoof video!? surely they get rain from time to time even in California, unless there is some sort of flooding or wind damage rain events are not newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I thought that was a spoof from the Jimmy Kimmel show?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

I've been in LA over Christmas before and heading there again this year.

2004: lovely up to Christmas Day afternoon and then the heavens opened. Very heavy rain the next 6 days (also was in San Francisco that trip). Flash floods in LA and 10 people killed in landslides.

2012: was in LA for 1 night after Christmas and had thunder & lightning. Beautiful weather after I left to go back to San Francisco.

2013: Who knows :-) ... but hope to break that duck of bringing the Irish weather with me!

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Troy Some Beefsteak

My other half is from Arizona. She says its crazy there when it rains. People driving simply don't know how to handle driving in the rain. Many pull over, slow down or basically stop.

There are lots of accidents as they aren't used to slippy roads due to rain. Also they react to rain in the same way we react to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭axe2grind

My other half is from Arizona. She says its crazy there when it rains. People driving simply don't know how to handle driving in the rain. Many pull over, slow down or basically stop.

There are lots of accidents as they aren't used to slippy roads due to rain. Also they react to rain in the same way we react to snow.
    I think my scariest driving experience was in heavy rain on freeway in LA. :eek:
    I got off the freeway at first opportunity. Radio was non stop with accident reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Don't they mean Los Santos?;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have a small bald patch on my head from scratching it the last few minutes in disbelief, That can't be real. Is it ? still scratching, wondering, pondering, philosophising...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife spent some time in San Diego a few years back, and if they had any 'rain', i.e. a tiny bit of drizzle, it was as if a national emergency had occurred. Like another poster said, cars would actually stop and wait for it to pass over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭steve-o

Reminds me of the Fast Show version...
    http://youtu.be/abFJuqp867g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

The aquaplanes in hot dry places must be treacherous!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

"Sun" in Ireland. I'm sure we're pretty funny at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Last winter, I think it was, LA experienced temperatures below 12 degrees for about a week, and their news was filled with talk of a "cold snap", "freezing conditions" and talking about people dying of hypothermia, etc. Most of the civilised world got a good chuckle out of it.

But to be fair, if we experience temps consistently below 0 for more than a couple of days we call it a big freeze. I'm sure Canadians and Scandinavians break their balls laughing at us panicking about half an inch of snow.

What never fails to amuse me in Ireland is when the first signs of summer start peeking through, temps in the mid-high-teens and bright sunshine, everyone's in t-shirts. Except Africans, who are still wrapped up in huge puffa jackets and gloves. Puts a proper perspective on what is and isn't "warm weather".

Edit: They're at it again
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-subfreezing-temperatures-expected-as-cold-air-mass-grips-region-20131204,0,5189615.story#axzz2magAYi80
    As of 10 p.m. ... according to the National Weather Service ...The temperature in downtown Los Angeles was 53 degrees.
    Thats just below 12 degrees. At 10pm, that kind of temperature is a warm night over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

lol, that video is gas - "walking fast to get to where they are going", "so how are you keeping dry?"

I grew up with 3-5 months of 4 to 6 proper monsoon showers like below per day (own video from my parents place), so when I hear about rain in Ireland, I remind myself that they are talking about that constant drizzle. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laEQNjuwJBc

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭omicron

I know we're making fun of the whole thing, but would our reaction to temps of 28/29 degrees last July not be looked at similarly by pretty much every other country in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I think the sea is warmer in Ireland in August than it is in California, so its not like they get it all their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I wonder, is there a L.A. weather forum out there with rain ramping threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It rains plenty in Northern California! Those grapes don't irrigate themselves and the climate's not that different to Western France which is like Ireland with a guaranteed good summer.

You can get days in San Fran that are every bit as dreary and wet as an Irish dreary and wet day.
    So they don't have to go THAT far to experience some water falling out of the sky.

Advertisement